“three tries and you're out!” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Description: (352) 693-2006
The Villages, Florida
“three tries and you're out!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

we have tried this restaurant 3 times. 1st time - awful, paella full of broken shells. 2nd time - a little better but still not too good. 3rd time - veal piccata, tough & no flavor; steak, over salted; chicken parm, tough and overdone. we all had leftovers and no one took them home. A lot of people feel this is a good restaurant but I'm not one of them.

• Visited April 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food

Ocala, Florida
“drove too far for too little!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

We live N. of the city (outskirts!) so driving that far for a meal should be rewarded right? NOT! We saw a 'group-on' deal and took advantage of it, to give the place a try, as they offered 'live music' and guitarist every weekend, we went on a Friday night, so guess that's not the weekend in their vocab. as the accomplished guitarist was nowhere to be seen (or heard) when we finally got seated (took almost 40 minutes, guess they sold a lot of group-on deals!) we were squeezed into a way-too small booth (6 of us and I'm on oxygen so need a little more room) when we asked for a table, we were told "if you don't mind waiting another 30 minutes" we decided we would 'squeeze' ! The food was just 'so-so' not bad, but nothing memorable! We inquired about the guitar music, and were told he wasn't there until around 10:00 p.m. Huh? I'll be snuggled in my bed by then ! Since my day was a lifelong guitarist, I was hoping to listen to some old 'standards' I remembered him playing etc. but was pretty much left with bad memories of our lst visit. We never went back.
Restaurants miss the boat by not 'keeping their word' to give you good food, and good music. at least this one did!

Visited October 2012
The Villages, Florida
“Ordinary Food!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

My wife and I had lunch there 4/16/13 with a 2-4-1, buy 2 beverages deal. When we arrived about 1pm the place was hopping. We were seated in a matter of minutes and Ashley took our drink order. We ordered the butterfish entree and fish & chips. The salad was good, and the bluecheese dressing was excellent! I requested some bread and butter which was promptly brought but had no flavor, wasn't warm, nor was there any crunch to the crust. The highlights were the bluecheese dressing, the fried haddock and the excellent service. The restaurant seemed very clean, attractive and well run, but the overall quality of the food came up a little short? I'll probably give them one more chance, but there's a lot of competion around The Villages for a good meal at a reasonable price. A good value will keep them coming back, but it has to taste good!

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Summerfield, Florida
“Good food, bad service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We must have just visited this restaurant on the wrong day. Our server kept telling us that "Your bread is on the way". After we had finished our meals and drinks our server brought us our checks. She immediately returned with our bread and said, "Sorry, I forgot". We haven't returned after that.

Visited December 2012
Ocala
“No Go area!!!!!!!!! Stay AWAY!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

Sunday March 24th. 2013

We were a group of 6 friends that had a meal at Taverna Red in Summerfield. What a DISASTER. This is my first review ever because it was my worst diner ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The waiter (Trevor?) sat down at our table to take the orders, making jokes that nobody laughed about, and he made us wait a long time to bring the drinks.
The salad was ok but unfortunately the bread that had to come with it arrived after we almost had finished the entrees. We had to ask several times to get this bread and extra drinks were not easily to get either. Meanwhile Trevor had a ball chatting with clients who were about to leave.
Most of the entrees were served cold and what's worse TASTELESS. 4 entrees consisted meanly of overcooked unsalted PASTA and in my sauce I discovered 1 small slice of pepper and 2 small pieces of a mushroom. It's always a bit difficult to complain about food and the lack of service when you are in a group, but later on we all agreed that we should have returned 4 of the entrees after we first tasted them.
The check came with 20% gratuity for the service that was hardly provided!
People sometimes make jokes about going to a fast food restaurant to have something to eat after they disliked the food in a restaurant they just visited.
But that's what my wife and I did. We enjoyed a hamburger at Mc Donalds in Ocala. Boy,... what did we enjoy the ketchup there. So much better than the tomato sauce at Taverna Red.

STAY AWAY!!!!!!!!!! A DISGRACE to Italian cooking!!!!!!!!!!!!. '

• Visited March 2013