“Crammed in like Sardines” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sugarloaf Key / Key West KOA

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sugarloaf
Sugarloaf Key / Key West KOA
You added Sugarloaf Key / Key West KOA to your Saves list
251 County Road 939, MM 20, Sugarloaf, FL 33042-0469   |
Orlando, Florida, United States
“Crammed in like Sardines”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We don't camp very often at KOA campgrounds for good reason...it's not like real camping. And our one night stay here just reaffirmed that. We reserved a spot here just to have a place to sleep before catching the early ferry boat ride out to Dry Tortugas. We arrived late so they placed us in the "red tent" area. I guess that means you just get a a spot on the grass big enough for your vehicle because that's what we were led to by a grouchy old guy in a golf cart. Of course, if I were surrounded by that many pissy campers all the time, I might be grouchy too. Good thing we had planned to sleep in the back of our Jeep because there wasn't even room to set up a tent.

• Stayed February 2013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Miami, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

My husband, myv4 yr old and I stayed in a two bedroom RV in front if the swimming area which has two queen beds, sofa, kitchen, shower, full fridge, 2 range stove, microwave, 19" flat screen TV, DVD/CD player. Very clean and well equipped for a weekend getaway. Our unit had a deck with a jacuzzi and outdoor table & gas grill.
Eventhough the camp was full, it was a super quiet weekend. A live band plays from 7-10 at the "Pelikan Pub" and the staff is super friendly. We enjoyed playing pool, basketball hoops and the pinball machine.
There is a nice playground area for the kids and a separate one for dogs. There is also a cafe that opens until 3:00 pm and the small store closes at 7:00.
It is a 35 minute drive to Key West and there is a full service supermarket on mile marker 30 where you can get supplies.
If you are looking for a different getaway and enjoy a relaxing place, you will enjoy your stay at Koa Camp in Suganland Key (Mile Marker 20).

• Stayed March 2013
Valparaiso, Indiana
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

My family and I stayed at this KOA in March of 2012. We pulled our camper down to the campgrounds for a vacation. We used the campground's showers because our camper's shower does not have enough hot water for multiple people. On March 6th 2012, I used the women's shower that is located in the building attached to the gift shop and restaurant. As I was exiting the shower stall, I opened the stall door and it fell of it's hinges and hit me in the face directly under my left eye. The door weighed approximately 45-50 pounds. I laid there for several minutes before help came and found me passed out. An ambulance had came, and rushed me to the hospital. I had a concussion, and a cut with a black eye. During the time I was found and the ambulance had came, my husband rushed to talk to the management, and the management never came from behind their desk. They did not ask concerned, and just asked if we had called 911. Two maintenance employees showed up on the scene, and were intoxicated and accused me of "hanging on the door." Which was in fact false. After looking at the hinges, and the door we realized that the door had fallen due to faulty maintenance. Only 1 screw was found to be supporting the bracket of the 45-50 pound door. I was extremely lucky. If my had fallen only two inches closer to the left, I would have hit my head on a marble step, and could have in fact died. I The ER doctor said that I was lucky that the impact of my face did not kill me, or even make me lose my eye. Accidents happen. But the staff at this KOA was extremely unprofessional. The hinges on those doors should be inspected, and taken care of. We had to approach the management multiple times to file an incident report. They never once came and checked on us to see if I was okay. We had to ask them to come to our camp site to talk about what happened. This whole incident completely ruined our vacation. Due to my concussion, I was sick and hurt the rest of our trip. I would be aware of the unprofessionalism of this facility, and their management. They are careless about their maintenance, and about the well-being of their customers. I am just thankful this happened to me, and not a child or an elderly person. The impact could have killed such a person. A year later, and I am STILL dealing with their insurance company for covering the medical expenses. I just wanted to warn those who are staying at this facility. You never think a door could fall and hit you when you exit the shower. Please be aware of your surroundings, and check the hinges on the doors at this place. Especially if you have children.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Sugarloaf hotels

BELLWOOD,PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The campground had its up's and down's. The wife and I stayed there over Christmas and New Years over 2012/2013. First off it's huge. 400 plus sites. Not cool with me. Sites are small so no room to stretch out. My canopy hit the site beside me. Laundry was always busy and the store was always of ice. Had to go elslewhere which was 10 miles away in the Floriday Keys. There's a Winn-Dixie there. Key West was close, Only 20 miles. On the plus side the staff was friendly. Always had a smile for you. Had 2 power out-outages while we were there however. Also the "Dog Area" is a good ways off so take your walking shoes. I will not go back there however. The idea of camping is to relax but you will not do that here.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Syracuse, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

It was our error not knowing the area, but we thought this KOA was in Key West when actually it is 20 miles out. It was a fine for our two night stay. The staff was friendly and helpful. The facilities were okay, on the old side, but functional. I did like the TV in the bath house continuously on the weather channel, just reinforced why we came south for the winter.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
State College, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

After reading vera0677's "Vacation From Hell..." review I was inspired to write my own. I've been coming to the Sugarloaf KOA for 19 years, and my group 20 years before that. We arrive just after Christmas and stay through New Years. This is one of the busiest weeks in Key West and everything is running at or above capacity. I consider every year a vacation from hell, where "hell" is the freezing north that I come from.

At 20 miles out, the Sugarloaf Key KOA is the closest tent camping available to Key West except for a few dozen tent sites at Boyd's on Stock Island, mm5, but they are geared more toward RV's. There is usually tons of room at the KOA for tenting for most of the year, but big holidays mean things get tight... but nothing that can't be overcome. If you come this week expecting peace, solitude, and open space then you should wait until New Year's day when 90% of the people go home. Most of us campers are neighborly and accommodating, and a crowded campsite beats $400/night rooms in town.

So being the only true tent camping game in town on one of the most crowded weeks, I'd expect things to to get ugly. When it does, it's never the staff, but guests who demand more than their fair share of space, resources, and attention. The staff always seem to be smiling and often beat you to a cheery "good morning". Every year they seem to have more activities, better facilities. I spoke to the manager before I left and he said that they're planning to widen some RV spaces and do a major remodel the bathhouse over the summer.

The complaints that vera0677 made of rude staff and small bathrooms are shocking, as I've had totally the opposite experience that same week. And selecting "terrible" for location rating? I don't get it. As for parking cars at a site, we have on nights leading up to NYE had to park SOME of our cars away from our area to allow room for others to set up camp, but it did seem unreasonable for us to take up more space with cars than we did with tents. There are no marked tent sites, so it's up to everyone in a zone to share the space. With great freedom comes great responsibility? :-)

Bottom line, I have always looked forward to my week at Sugarloaf and New Years in Key West. It's a great alternative to the typical hotel/motel scene. As they say, it's always a great day at Sugarloaf KOA.

Room Tip: The Red Tent Area is closest to all faculties but Yellow gets you lots of privacy off the beaten pat...