“a nice resort on a beautiful beach” 4 of 5 stars

FREE Wi-Fi
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Stuart
Certificate of Excellence 2014
CT
“a nice resort on a beautiful beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

We have stayed here several times - summer (uncrowded) fall (great for golf and tennis) and spring/winter (great to get away from snow and enjoy the great weather here) The Marriott has lovely pools, fitness centers and wonderful location. The rooms could generally use some "refreshing" but they are clean. I might suggest renting a condo in the IRP complex - usually cheaper and more spacious than the Marriott - but they are popular and can be hard to get a vacancy.
Love hanging out at the beachside Tiki Bar. Great food (only open for lunch though) and drinks and fun vibe. Cheryl and Regina are the bartenders and they are super nice and make great drinks.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Marriott Beach Resort and Marina Hutchinson Island, responded to this review, December 17, 2013
Dear sbfrost,
We are always happy to hear that a Marriott guest had such an enjoyable time at our hotel. All the features that you mentioned - including the staff, onsite meals and the Tiki Bar - are why many people choose to stay with us and we are glad that these made the difference in your experience here. We hope you will find the time to return again to stay with us.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

This hotel is the first you'll encounter after crossing the bridge onto the island from Sewell's Point. In fact, it's the only commercial property on the South Island. The Marriott staff is the most friendly and courteous of any hotel I've stayed in lately. I prefer the Sandpiper Towers on the beach versus the main hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear PSARBR,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay at the Marriott. Our staff strives to make each guests stay as welcoming and comfortable as possible. We will be sure to relay your compliments to the staff. We look forward to hosting you again, next time you are visiting the area.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

First I have to say that for the amenities, service and location I feel like this property is a good value! The rooms could use some updating. They are older and look it. But beyond that its a nice stay. The customer service is excellent! I've stayed at much more expensive/ luxury properties, but is rate this as one if the best for customer service. The staff are wonderful.

We have a room at the Sandpiper building. It overlooks the beach with a nice size balcony. We also have a kitchenette. The resort is mostly quiet and low key.

If you are coming to this area I'd recommend a stay at this hotel.

Stayed December 2013
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Marriott Beach Resort and Marina Hutchinson Island, responded to this review, December 11, 2013
Dear FurnessFamilyTravels,

It is always great to hear that we provide a good value for guests and that you rate our customer service so highly. We look forward to welcoming the Furness Family back again one day!
Tamarac, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

Staff very friendly. Hotel could stand and upgrade. Pool area was very nice. Only nine holes open on golf course. Golf course closes early at 5PM and should stay open until sunset. Breakfast buffet was very good.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Marriott Beach Resort and Marina Hutchinson Island, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Dear Keefedw,

Thanks so much for sharing your review of our resort. We greatly appreciate your noting that our staff is very friendly and that our pool area was very nice. We hope to welcome you back again one day soon!
Ashburn, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We stayed here over Columbus Day weekend and again in November. Both times we were upgraded to the Sandpiper building due to my Platinum Premier status in Marriott Rewards. I was told that the main building had been upgraded, but the Sandpiper building had not, and it shows. The rooms and building exterior are "tired" and in need of a refurbishment. Light fixtures and towel bars are horribly corroded. I had to check the towels to make sure nothing had flaked off on to the towels.

The room we had during our first visit had a large walk-out deck that went down to the towel hut. This was convenient when returning from the beach as one of us could bring our things up to dry on our patio while the other went through the front door to unlock the patio door. We had a bedroom and a combined living room/kitchen. The kitchen had a small cooktop, mini-fridge, coffee maker, and microwave. Many of the accessories were missing as there was a cutting board, but no sharp knife. There was a major issue in the bathroom and I spoke to the night manager (can't remember his name) and he was terribly embarrassed when I showed him a picture of the problem. He asked for me to send it to him so he could share it in order to get it corrected. I was offered 10,000 Marriott points to compensate for the problems. After almost a month I still had not received the points and had to call and remind the manager that they needed to be posted.

I noticed on the hotel's website that there is a daily resort fee charged in addition to the nightly rate. I couldn't determine if beach chairs were provided so I called the property before our arrival and when I asked if they had beach chairs I was told yes. I asked about beach chairs when checking in during our first stay. I was told "we have everything you need". Much to my surprise there is a sign at the towel hut that there is a $20/day charge for two chairs and an umbrella. I've never been to a resort where there's a resort fee and then a charge for beach chairs. Had we known, we would have brought our own, which do when going to the beach in Florida. In speaking to some employees at the property, they said it would be better if the chairs were included in the resort fee. I feel that not being up front about the charge, especially when asked, is quite deceptive and one employee said "they aren't very forthcoming about the charge".

After our first stay, I received a cal from the front office manager, James. Obviously he was informed about the problems I encountered. He offered to cover a night's stay the next time we were in town. He finally got the bonus points added to my account. I worked with him regarding the nights we would be staying and asked that my two reservations be linked. Much to my dismay I did not have a reservation when I arrived at the property around midnight on our most recent stay. It took a little while, but the night manager finally got it all straightened out. The room we had on our second stay was the same set-up and the kitchen had more amenities than the first.

We went to the beach on our first stay. There are signs up about the rip current and my husband said you could feel it. The surf was quite rough during this stay, so we didn't get to go in the ocean like we had hoped, but that's not the hotel's fault! We went to the pool one day during our first stay and also used the pool during our second stay. The pool seems a bit small at times when it gets crowded. My main complaint is the out of control children who were at this property during both stays. I realize the hotel can't control the kids, but maybe it's just a reflection of the families who stay here. Water was thrown on us (I expect to get wet in the pool, not when sitting in my chair), and then I was hit with a football - Both incidents were the same family, and no apology or reprimand by the parents who were there. During the last visit young children (seven and five years old) were left unattended in the pool while the parents went to either the bar or the beach. The hotel may want to give out reminders that there is an acceptable level of behavior and that parents are responsible for their children before something tragic happens.

Despite the problems, the staff members we encountered were friendly. However, I lost my key during the first visit and front desk staff did not want to "rekey" the room. She told me if someone found my key they wouldn't be able to get into my room. I let her know if they found it near my room all they had to do was try the door. She finally saw it may way!

There are golf courses and tennis courts. If you are staying in the main building they have a shuttle to get you to the beach. If you are staying in the Sandpiper building there is an elevator which is accessible from the garage - something we weren't told at check-in, so we spent some time trying to find how to get to our room. We had free WiFi and didn't have any issues with that.

We may stay here again when we have business in the area, however we'll stay in Ft. Lauderdale if we're just going to the beach.

Room Tip: A room in the Sandpiper building will get you closest to the beach.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Marriott Beach Resort and Marina Hutchinson Island, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear UOtterTravel,

It is never our intention to disappoint guests in any way, and clearly we did not live up to your expectations during your visits here. As a resort property located on the beach, the saltwater does indeed have corrosive properties that make maintenance a constant effort and we do try to keep up with resort maintenance as much as we possibly can. Please know that we are taking this review to our next departmental meeting to share it with all of our staff as we view this as an opportunity to see where we can implement changes so that these type of experiences do not happen again. We deeply apologize for not living up to Marriott's high standards of hospitality and hope that you will give us another try on a future visit to the area.
Saratoga Springs, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

We had a wonderful week's stay here! What a warm welcome from Samantha when we checked in.. how refreshing to be greeted by a caring person who sincerely cares about guests. We had a beautiful ocean front room at the Sandpiper...immaculate, comfortable, and the kitchenette was a real convenience. Brad, the general manager, sent us a "welcome" email the afternoon we arrived, and he took the time to meet us the next day. Every person on the staff was friendly, helpful, and eager to please. Chris, at the towel/beach chair kiosk, was a delight...friendly, helpful, and a great sense of humor!! We wanted to take him home with us, but his college calls! This Marriott resort is first class...best place to stay in the Stuart area. Oh, yeah... my husband played golf several days, and enjoyed it!

Room Tip: Sandpiper on the beach is the place to stay!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Marriott Beach Resort and Marina Hutchinson Island, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear sarany36,

It makes us so happy to learn that you had a wonderful week's stay with us! Thank you for providing your feedback on our awesome accommodations and sensational service. Making guests feel welcome, cared for, and happy is a goal that we strive for each day and we are so glad that it made the difference in your stay. We hope to welcome you back again one day soon.
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

I've stayed at this resort a few times when our kids were growing up and always enjoyed it. We live in fairly close so it is easy to get to. It is one of my favorite beaches. Clean, great sand and some great waves if you hit it right. A short 1/2 mile drive to the House of Refuge and you will find one of the coolest beaches in Florida without a single person on it. It has huge cap rocks that jut out into the water and the waves come crashing into them and push water up through holes in the rocks. When the tide is out you can walk out in front of the rocks in the sand as the water still moves up through the rocks and sometimes deposits masses of shells. Great spot for photos.
OK, back to the hotel. The wife and I went for a long weekend recently and not only enjoyed the waves but it was the service that blew me away. I did not remember every single employee being so pleasant. The room service was great and timely and with pleasant servers. We requested our meals be cooked without butter and the chef called shortly after to make sure everything was all right. Everyone on the staff from the front desk to the cleaning people were super personable and seemed happy to serve. Something you would expect from a much higher priced place.
We always stay at the Sandpiper which is the building directly on the ocean. great views and you can hear the waves at night no matter what floor you are on. Very relaxing.
I don't know when all those bad photos were taken because I have never experienced the place like that. The room was clean, the pool was clean and the upkeep was good and the grounds are beautiful all around Indian River Plantation.
If you decide to stay, ask for an ocean view room at the Sandpiper and you will be more than happy and will enjoy great service as well. However, we have the advantage of being able to go when it's not so busy which I'm sure helps.

Room Tip: Ask to stay at the Sandpiper.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Hutch_Marriott75, General Manager at Marriott Beach Resort and Marina Hutchinson Island, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Ric J,

We greatly appreciate your positive review of our hotel. We continually strive to enhance our hotel experience for all guests and we are so happy that as a frequent guest, you detected an even better experience than during past stays. Each and every one of our associates is committed to taking our service level to the next step and we are thrilled that guests, like you, are noticing.

Been to Marriott Beach Resort and Marina Hutchinson Island? Share your experiences!