“Great Value” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Steinhatchee
Sarasota, Florida
“Great Value”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

My wife made reservations at this motel a few weeks ago. Subsequent to making those reservations we found these reviews of the Steinhatchee River Inn and the negative reviews
gave us reason for some concern.

Our stay is now over and from our experience the inn was well maintained, the rooms were clean and spacious, and the staff was attentive. There seemed to be no basis for the extremely negative reviews. We do a fair amount of traveling and know when we're getting a bad deal. This was not one of those times.

I had to downdrade the sleep quality on the ratings because it seemed the mattresses were getting old, but that may have been just in our room.

Room Tip: Our room had a sitting room apart from the bedroom. Since I usually get up a couple of hours before...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
hollywood, fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Upon our arrival after driving for 7 hours, we were shown our room # 201 upstairs. Upon entering the smell of fabreeze was overwhelming as they were trying to cover up the smell of smoke and or the urine smell in the bathroom. I was then shown a room downstairs which was just as bad. SInce we had driven all that way we were stuck in our room #201. The room was absolutely disgusting, filthy and just overall not good. We stayed for 1 night and left the following morning as I did not sleep all night (afraid of creepy crawlies in the bed) I told the Mgr that we were checking out and after paying the Deposit of $157.08 in March, we also had to pay for that awful night another $104.00. I think the owner of this place needs to refund my money and instead of pocketing all the money they make they should put it back into the place to upgrade it.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011 via mobile

This is our second time staying at SRI and we love it the staff is so wonderful and the rooms are very clean. The asst. manager remembered our names from the first trip that is commendable. I would recommend this place for anyone who wants a peaceful place to stay.

• Stayed August 2011
Panama City Beach, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

The staff just stand around and smoke. They do not clean the rooms. The sleeping quarters are dirty, the couches are filty and the bathroom and kitchen are disgusting. Old food stains all over the walls. The over was dirty. The tile grout is filty. The walls are dirty. The cooking utinsels, pots/pans and dishes looked like they were rinsed off, but never actually cleaned with soap and water. The place was just overall filthy. I wouldn't stay there again if they offered a free room!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
ellijay, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

My wife & I stayed here for 1 night while on a motorcycle tour up the Florida gulf coast. This part of Florida is very sparsely populated, it was a VERY hot day, and by late afternoon we were pretty much wiped out. Thankfully, trip advisor mobile helped us find this place while we were stopped for gas. What a welcome relief. A nice clean room with a fridge, and a nice clean pool and shady deck to relax for the evening. Nothing fancy, but a neat place that fits perfectly with the character of Steinhatchee, a scenic little fishing town overlooking the river.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

I went to Steinhatchee in March of 2010 to check out the town. We know many
families that come to Steinhatchee to scallop every year. First trip was fine.
Was told by Julie and Madonna we could bring our dogs when we came back in July.

We also wanted to stay at the Steinhatchee Landing in July. A couple (Dean is
the husband-forget the wife's name) own Steinhatchee Landing (the husband) and
River Inn (the wife).

Put a deposit down in March at the Steinhatcee River Inn for our trip in July.

I paid for a U Haul for 7 days, plus extra insurance in case of damage/wreck,
drove 3 1/2 hours to get there. Once we got there we were told by Madonna that
the owner was upset because she saw one of the dogs. I was told later by the
owner that she was upset when she saw a crate. So don't know who is telling the truth. Regardless, the owner and manager allowed us to check in with our 3 dogs that we got prior approval from Madonna and Julie to bring.

Anyway, that was our first night. Obviously if we had not had permission we
would not have been allowed a key to the room. The room they put us in this time
was nasty. It was one of the rooms they allow dogs in. There was no where else
to go as the town was booked for scallop season.

A few days later we were told we had to leave because the owner did not want the
dogs there. She said there were too many problems.

One of my dogs loves to swim and jumped in the pool.

The other incident happened on the 4th of July (it was pouring down rain and the grills at the hotel were not covered) when I lit a mini/personal charcoal grilll (fits 6 hot dogs max) on the porch. Those were the reasons we had to leave according to Julie and the owner.

1. The dog jumped in
the pool
2. Where I lit the grill
3. Because we had dogs.

I was told by Julie in March that it would be great for my dogs to play with her
dog Hoss/Doberman. She said the owners were going to fence in an area for her
dog and they would all have an area to play. She said the owners had gone to
Georgia, that they own a cotton field and when they came back the area would get
fenced in.

Also when I called before I made reservations in March I was told they had a
pool. I asked to be sure so the kids could swim. When we got there Madonna said
we could not swim in the pool because it had not been cleaned. The next day
Madonna left to go to Gainesville (I believe it was Gainesville...maybe
Jacksonville) for something medical with her daughter and grandbaby. When she
left Julie said we could all swim in the pool. We did all day. The next day
Madonna came back and said we couldn't.

Why would I come to a hotel with 3 kids that can't swim in a pool? I left Julie
about 40.00 dollars worth of food. I told her there wasn't room in my SUV. She
said make sure I give it to her so Madonna doesn't take it and rolled her eyes.
I also told her I would send her dog Hoss 2 new dog collars. The one he had on was broken and rigged to stay on. I sent her 28.00 worth of dog collars/plus postage.

We were given NO notice. Just GET OUT. Julie tried to bust in the room with her room key. That is when we got into a verbal argument. She wanted me out that minute. I just couldn't do it. I had 3 dogs and 3 kids. IOW, 4 suitcases, dog crates, 7 days worth of food, etc. I had to pack up. They expected me to waltz out within minutes but it was impossible so they called the Sheriff's Dept. I had a U Haul, 3 children and 3 dogs. I had to throw tons of food away. I was told by the wife/owner of the Inn that we could not go to the Landing that we were not welcome there either since it was owned by her husband.

They looked up my credit card number they had on file from March and charged
hundreds of dollars and made many attempts to charge hundreds more but there
was not enough money. They tapped out the card. When I called Steinhatchee River
Inn Julie hung up on me. No one will call me. I had to call my cc company and
cancel the card and filea report for unautorized charges. They either went into my room when I was not there and got my cc number or looked it up from the trip in March.

I am contacting the State Attorney, Dept of Health and the agencies in charge of
hotels. I am contacting the BBB and some other agencies to make everyone aware
of what happened.

I have pictures of the filthy black tile grout, kitchen, couch, etc. Other than
dirty sheets, towels and bedspreads everything was cleaner when we left than
when we got there.

The Sheriff's Dept came in to make sure the room was ok when we left and everything was fine.

All I can say is what a bunch of lying, finger pointing people they are. They charged my credit card without my knowledge/permission. They were not even given my credit card for this trip. I do not know how they got access to it. Although the owner is upset about the dogs and claims it was not ok I don't understand why we were allowed to stay for 3 days. Madonna and Julie act like I just showed up with them. If that is the case I would think common sense would speak for itself. I would not have been given a key and allowed to stay for 3 days.

I would not ever recommend this hotel. If you do stay here I would recommend taking pictures (as I did), getting any type of agreements in writing and never give your credit card number out to them.

The worst part is I had conversations with Dean the owner of Steinhatchee Landing Resort. He said the Danes would be fine as long as they were nice.

I have photos and will be posting them as soon as my computer is fixed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Gainesville, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband, son and I went to Steinhatchee for the 4th of July weekend. We go to Steinhachee frequently to fish and scallop. The Steinhatchee River Inn is located directly across the street from the marina where we launch our boat. We have seen the hotel many times and always commented on the fact that we needed to stay there. The day I called for reservations, which was one of the busiest weekends of the season, I was greeted by a very friendly hotel manager, Madonna. Madonna told me what she had available and I booked a room. When we got to the hotel, I checked in early and Madonna told us that our room would be ready shortly and we were welcome to use the pool and hotel facilities. When we got into our room it was clean and smelled very fresh. The pool was very inviting and had plenty of seating. There were tables with unbrellas and grills just outside the pool area. The best part of our stay was coming off the salt water and being able to jump in the pool. We had a great time and will certainly go back!!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Been to Steinhatchee River Inn? Share your experiences!