I usually stay at Marriott hotel properties, but I was in the area on business and there were none close by. When I saw this was a Wyndham owned property, I thought it would be similar to the low end Marriott properties - nothing fancy, but with a quality control one expects from a reputable chain. Boy, was I disappointed.
My first surprise here was that the charge on my credit card when I booked the room online was not the same as the online price. When I checked in, I was asked to initial a few items on a sheet that included acknowledging a fee for the in room safe. I realize it was only $1.60, but it was the principle of the thing that they never mentioned this when I booked. They said I could request a refund at checkout if I didn't use the safe. Pretty underhanded trick, if you ask me.
The woman at the front desk was very pleasant and asked if I would prefer the second or third floor. I chose the third for a variety of personal reasons, none of which is really that important, but I was given a choice. When the elevator door opened on my floor, I was hit with a strong cigarette smell. I noticed that my room was right next to a smoking room, and when I entered, of course there was the smell of cigarette smoke in my non-smoking room. I debated on asking for a different room, but since the entire hallway smelled of smoke, I didn't think another room would be any better. When I tried to open a window for some fresh air, it had a bolt in the frame so the window wouldn't open more than a few inches. Since I was only staying for one night and it was late, I decided to suffer through it.
I then pulled out my laptop to get some work done, but there was no internet service. I went back to the front desk and was told there should be six different wireless networks showing. I told her there wasn't even one, so she said she would call "the guy" and leave a message, because they never answer the phone, and give him my room number so they could call me directly. When I returned from dinner, there was still no internet service, and no message from anyone.
During the night, I was able to hear every detail of the "fun" the folks were having in the next room. And I was awakened around 4am by the TV in the room on the other side of me, which stayed on until I got up at 6. When I went into the bathroom I heard what I thought was water running in the room next to me, and then I heard the toilet flush. I have never been quite so "close" to other guests in a hotel before. They definitely need better insulation between those rooms.
When I went to check out, the girl asked how my stay was, so I told her it was unpleasant, and that the worst part was the smell of cigarette smoke in a non-smoking room. I made it very clear that I had not smoked in there and would not appreciate being charged for doing so. That's when I found out that the third floor is the smoking floor!!!! Why on earth did the woman checking me in give me that choice of floors without telling me that fact when I had reserved a non-smoking room? Knowing that I spent the night in that smelly room when I could have had a clean smelling room just made it that much worse.
Under the circumstances, I wont be staying here again, and I have already cancelled a reservation I made at a different Microtel for a future business trip. All I expect for the price I payed is a clean room and a good night's sleep. I didn't get either one of those.
If you don't smoke, stay away from the third floor.
See more room tips
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.