“Far from beach, but not bad overall.” 3 of 5 stars

Best Miami Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5959 SW 71st St, South Miami, FL 33143-3599   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in South Miami
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Far from beach, but not bad overall.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

My friends and I wanted to take a trip to Miami and knowing it was expensive, we opted to save money on the hotel. We had to take the subway everyday to get to South Beach. The hotel was decent for the money. It seems a lot of people had trouble with the staff, but we didn't have any issues. The hotel was old, but they had tried to renovate. The pool is really small, and the free breakfast is gone if you don't get there early enough. However, you get what you pay for and it's really not that bad. The only issue we had was that it was far from the beach.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

292 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Haifa, Israel
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2011

The best advantage of the hotel is it's location in South Miami: Close (about 5 minutes walk) to a lot of restaurants, several stores and the Sunset Mall as well as a train station.
The complementary transportation from and to both air and sea ports is generously available, although it's limited working hours (not available at nights).
The front desk's stuff usually act in a "cold" manner and it seems that they are very limited with their possibilities to assist the hotel's guests and even instructed not to be too much nice and generous to them.
Those who try to call the hotel by phone might also be disappointed because the single clerk who is on duty is not able to both serve a guest and answer the phone... So keep trying and eventually you will be answered and you might enjoy the clerk's best and honest efforts, especially if Janette is on duty.
The hotel's maintenance is also very poor and it might affect differently in a different rooms. For example: The availability of a hot water and/ or the heating part of the air-conditioning system.
Last but not least: Several promises weren't kept, like the room's safe, the room's coffee maker, the local restaurant/bar, which were under re-constructions during out stay and this fact wasn't mention during the reservation process.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these South Miami hotels

North Lauderdale, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2010

I came across this hotel through the Miami Children's Hosp website. It was listed as the Best Western (which is the hospital's fault and I'm working on having them update it). I called and booked my reservation on Monday 12/13/10 for a stay that night with my son because he had an early morning appmt. at Miami Children's.
When I arrived at the address around 8:30 that night I was confused b/c it was not the Best Western. I called the phone number, which rang forever before anyone answered, and I asked the woman if they were the Best Western. She said no and I asked her to look up if I had a reservation there. She could not find anything under my or my son's name. We hung up and I googled the hotel again to find out what was going on. I pulled up the same info, so we went inside to ask what was going on. After quite some wait for the people in front of us, b/c there's only one front desk person, I showed the woman my phone w/the website info and she said "Oh, we used to be the Best Western years ago". I was like, well why didn't you say that when I called? She really had no answer. Anyways, I told her then I should have a reservation there I don't know why she couldn't find it when I called. Then she pull up my son's last name and for who knows what reason, it was placed under his Dad's name that had nothing to do w/the stay, we don't even live together anymore. I asked the lady if it was put under a diff name, why wouldn't someone call & let me know? How would I have ever known that? Again, no real answer. While I was waiting in line previously, I heard her answer a call from a guest and state "We don't have heat. Turn the thermostat to Low and the dial up to 90 and it will get warmer". I thought to myself uh oh, but how cold can it really be in the room and I dismissed it. By the way, it was 45 degrees out that night. My son and I went straight to dinner from there and arrived at our room at about 10 pm. When we walked in I thought I was gonna die, it was SO COLD! Not only was it cold out but the a/c was blasting on high and set to 60 degrees! I'm from up north originally and can handle cold but it was absolutely freezing to where I almost told my son we were going to sleep in the car, but I was tired and figured I'd just try to sleep thru it. My son had to sleep fully clothed, sweatshirt and all. It also stunk like mildew.
The next day I called for a Mgr but she was already gone, so I called yesterday, 12/15. I got the shadyest run around and finally got to speak to a Mgr. She was rude, interuppted when I was speaking, and she said to me "Well why did you stay if you were unhappy"? I said "Where was I supposed to go w/my son at 10 @ night when he had an appmt @ 7am in the morning"?! I was appauled at her comment. And she said she could not offer me a refund or any reimbursement for that matter b/c we had stayed and used the room. Luckily the day before I had done my "homework" and found out that it's a requirement that hotels provide heat. It's Florida statute Chapter 509-221 paragraph 3. I tried telling her they're required to provide heat and she said "No we're not. If it was a requirement we'd be shut down & plenty of hotels in Miami don't have heat". I said yes, it is it's a statute and she said, "Well that's old". I said "No, it's not it from the 2010 Florida Statutes that I have right in front of me". I started reading it to her and she kept talking over me. So she said she wasn't doing anything for me and I said ok, so you want me to start filing complaints then correct? She said, do what you have to do. Have a nice day, goodbye.
So....I filed a complaint w/the FL Division of Hotels & Restaraunts and the BBB (where they have an F rating), and I got the Corp # and spoke to the Corp Mgr. She was much more professional and said that she'd speak to the staff at the hotel and call me back today. The corporate # is [---] & her name is Alicia if anyone else would like to make their complaint.
Good luck everyone and there's strength in numbers so if you have a complaint, file it! Don't let people be rude and inconsiderate to their guests/customers especially when you don't deserve it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

The smell of mold in overwhelming!!! The place is dirty dirty dirty. The room has a thirty year old ac system which leaks and sounds like a truck engine. There is no heat. It was 45 one night. I was told not to turn off the ac but to turn it up because if I turned it off it would leak and it did leak. The refrigerator is at least as old and comes with rust. there is no coffee pot or microwave. Hell Motel Six will give you that. The sheets are grey and so old .... not even full size pillows some kind of small squares and they stink. The sink leaked all night. NO plug for the tub so make your own.
The walls are dirty some are retouched with not the same color so that's a really nice thing to look at. The table leg was broken and if we were no careful it collasped.
The towels were old worn and not many available. I asked for some one day and the service person said there were no more and slapped the door in my face. One person seems to work the front desk and they are always annoyed and busy. I was told by the travel agency they did not charge for parking. They do and they will charge you.
This place is in an isolated area. And the area contains many car body shops.
This is the last place to stay. It maybe cheap because it is cheap. If you have any lung problem beware. All of my suitcases are outside airing out. The swimming pool was the color yellow and murky.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
phoenix
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2010

Come one guys.....why would you choose the the cheapest hotel in miami and then write a bad review?! Honestly the cheapest hotel in miami, and that why I stayed here.
For the price I got waaaaaaay more than I expected. I had box TV, not a flat screen with all the channels I wanted. I had a very comfortable bed that smelled like clean detergent.
I had a nice desk and a brand new computer chair. Furniture was average. Some of the metal under the fridge and on the lamps was a little rusted. Clean wooden floor. Bathroom was very nice. Shower did not get as hot as I liked but very acceptable.
Pool was well kept. People were all young professionals trying to save some money. Every morning we had free breakfast at a restaurant that was connected. The lobby of the hotel is very nice and is very safe. You needed a hotel key to get in. Across the street is a kid's nursery so I felt safe. Terrible view, but walking distance from Sunset mall which was great. Front desk staff was not as nice as I expected but who cares. We had an option for parking $8 a day, which is very reasonable for miami.

All in all, would not take my GF there if she was a princess. More for all guys' trip or more of an understanding GF/wife who is willing to accept it for what it is. Next cheapest was a holiday in for almost double. So not worth it. Would def come back if I am staying a for a week again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2010

As I said, the ceiling was dripping, everything was wet, and the room was moldy. They gave us another room. It wasn't as bad as the first, but still smelled of mold. There's no wi-fi in the rooms, only in the lobby. The wait times for the shuttle are really long. Expect to spend a couple hours waiting for it. They were supposed to pick up my 63 year old mother from the airport, but never did. She was forced to find alternative transportation. If you don't speak Spanish, good luck interacting with half the staff. The security doesn't even speak English. Also, expect to pay for parking each night. While the pool area is nice, the waterfall you might see in some pictures doesn't work. If you get a room facing into the pool area, you can expect a lot of noise. That's where our first room was, and it was nearly impossible for my daughter to sleep.

The term "Best" is only there because the building used to be owned by Best Western. Now, it's just simply false advertising. This place needs to stay hidden.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Miami
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Hotel Check In Staff was nice, but not very attentive. They stated they had not received our reservations from Hotels.com. Had to call Hotels.com and have them contact the hotel directly. Then the hotel staff would not answer the phones, they would just let them ring as they tended to other customers, so I had to call Hotels.com a 2nd time. The 2nd time I told the hotel staff to answer the phones and they did. They spoke with Hotels.com and Hotels.com finally faxed over (yes...in this day and age...these confirmations are sent from Hotels.com to this hotel via FAX) our confirmation. It was a HORRIBLE check in experience...as others have noted.

This is the CHEAPEST Hotel in the area...and rightfully so. It's pretty harsh and not representative of Miami. Check out some of the other hotels in the area and pay a little more if you can for a better experience.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to Best Miami Hotel? Share your experiences!