“great location-decent building” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Miami
Miami, Florida
“great location-decent building”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am happy to report that this place is not as bad as all the reviews on the web make it out to be (I almost brought sheets and shower shoes). However-there is evidence that it probably once was. There seems to be a number of quick fixes. It is a bit over priced for a place that has the trimmings of a hotel but in the end is really just a 'fancy motel'. There wasn't a hair dryer.

Some small stains on the carpet in hallway,dusty lampshades,some amateur patchwork,a loose hook here,a torn desk chair there...these were acceptable issues. They don't seem to care too much for details.The front desk staff though (Jonathan and a young lady w/dark hair) were friendly.

The confirmation page I printed described my room as having a mini fridge and microwave but it didn't. Not a big deal to me but I would dbl check if these amenities are important to you.

The room was clean...enough...looked like housekeeping (and maintenance to be honest) does the bare minimum. The a/c worked. The window was nailed shut. The bathroom was just okay. The tub was cleaner than the shower curtain-- eeew to the dark spots on mine-especially b/c this is one of the easiest/cheapest/grossest things to remedy. I've also seen better shower-heads at campsites.....just saying.

The pool area is cozy. Lounge chairs are plain. It's pretty at night. Warm water-6ft at deepest.The continental breakfast was just okay. There were options like bananas,toast,cereal,and o.j--enough to have a good start to the morning. The "scrambled" "eggs" tasted like they came out of a spray-can.The attendant woman was sweet. There aren't a lot of tables-its a small dining space.

• Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were told that this hotel had a shuttle to & from the airport & seaport. We weren't told that they only ran at certain times. The room was okay but was badly in need of repair & updating. The room was cold & we tried to adjust the temperature but the thermostat didn't seem to work. We went ahead & went to bed with covers pulled up. We told them that our room was very cold & was told they keep all their rooms like that!! We will never stay here again!! People should be allowed to adjust the temperature in their room!!

Stayed February 2015, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I stayed here for New Years. The rate was great. The room was clean and in good condition. The staff was nice and helpful. The scenery here is great and the location is perfect. If you're looking for an affordable trip, this is your place. I would stay here again as a family or friend trip.

Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Newark, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

When we first got to the hotel the lady at the desk in the evening (brunette) was just awful. She didn't greet us and really didn't want to help us, but it was okay cause there was another guy at the desk who was actually nice. As we walked through the halls the hotel reminded me of the Grand Budapest before it shut down. Like a hotel that was once thriving, but is now falling apart due to neglect or mismanagement. Anyway, we went to our room feeling as though we wouldn't have to deal with anyone again, but we didn't imagine that we escaped cold weather up North to enter into the Arctic of Miami. Our room was FREEZING!!! It was so cold I shivered as I started putting on more clothes. We turned the A.C off immediately, even tried to turn on the heat. Nothing. Called the front desk, they said there is no heat which I guess is understandable in Miami (I guess) but considering that outside was in the 70's and inside was probably in the 40's I needed heat desperately. There were only sheets on the bed and then a bed spread (that is probably their version of a blanket) that was rolled up and placed on a shelf in the room. It looked like it hadn't been washed... ever. So I called hotels.com to change hotels, forget a new room, I wanted OUT. Instead of giving me a refund so I could find somewhere else the mean lady at the front desk told hotels.com to tell me to turn off the A.C. and put on a nightie. What?!? Even he was so confused he had to ask her three times to make sure he heard her correctly. After calling again, they asked us if we wanted a new room. I felt it would solve nothing, but figured it was worth a try. As if things couldn't get worse, the new room was colder. It was like starting all over again (as we had struggled through two hours in the first room.) I seriously considered sleeping in my warm car but for safety reasons attempted to stay the night only to wake up the next morning to... (drum roll please) A FREEZING ROOM! It's like the A.C couldn't be controlled. So we started our day early and stayed out the entire day, even tried again to find another hotel, terrified to return, but finally did. To our surprise the room slightly warmed up. Feeling a little better we went out for dinner and took a walk as the hotel is actually in a nice area near restaurants and a shopping center. Everyone else in the hotel had good customer service, they were pleasant, which is why I gave this hotel two stars and not one. However, the reasons they can't get more than two stars (and two is probably pretty generous) are as follows: 1. The details above. 2. The moisture in the room was disgusting. My skin always felt gross just from sitting in there. It's probably all linked with the A.C situation. There was a constant drip coming from the ceiling. It left me feeling uncomfortable and desperately looking forward to checking out. 3. The room never fully warmed up. Needless to say we didn't turn on the A.C for the three nights we were there. Oh how I longed for authentic cold from home, with working heat. 4. Breakfast was gross eggs (probably powdered), sausages (I'm a vegetarian), orange juice, bread, some suspect bananas, cereal and coffee. 5. I SAW A ROACH IN MY ROOM! First time in my hotel history. Not saying they're not in other hotels, simply stating this is my first time seeing it. Side Note: There's an ironing board, no iron. Asked two different people for an iron, one said we had to wait till the next morning for housekeeping to come, the other said housekeeping doesn't have irons. We checked out with my husband in wrinkled pants. Oh, and last complaint, if they'd cut back on the overkill A.C they could probably save a few bucks on the back end, and lower their prices on the front end. Free advice for an overpriced hotel.

Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2015

We stayed at this hotel for one night, the 7th of March. We basically had booked this hotel because there was a shuttle for the airport. Asked about it to front desk clerk, responded there is no shuttle before 8am. Total disappointment, they had not mentioned that in their website. Had to pay 80$ for the taxi. I expected a refund for it, did not happen. The room was terrible, very cold. The night shift clerk was rude and arrogant. I asked for a wake-up call tomorrow morning, nobody called, could have missed my flight. I asked the clerk in the morning for a 5 min early breakfast, he refused. The breakfast lady only spoke Spanish, hard time communicating. Wifi painfully, extremely slow. All in all, the stay was not worth the money.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2015

It is a horrible experience with best Miami hotel, the employees aren't professional at all, the fax are out of paper. I book with my mother's name, but my mom isn't with there with us, they ask us to change the name, it is almost midnight. When we get to the room they aren't any blankets in the room, and it is freezing in the room. I booked through Expedia, I payed the fee online, but the front desk charged the room few twice from our credit card.

Never visit here again

Stayed March 2015
Effort, Pennsylvania
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2015

The deadbolt was broken, the phone was dead, no mattress pads, holes in the blankets,horrible thin towels, pay another $100.00 it's so worth it, it was scary. There was a place in the parking garage, that housed mattresses

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with family

Been to Best Miami Hotel? Share your experiences!