“Dirty Rooms, Bad Breakfast, Terrible Customer Service” 1 of 5 stars

Best Miami Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5959 SW 71st St, South Miami, FL 33143-3599   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Miami
Littleton, Colorado
“Dirty Rooms, Bad Breakfast, Terrible Customer Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here one night before boarding a cruise in Miami the next day. This is one of the worst hotels I've stayed in. (On a road trip, I most recently stayed in a cheap, road side Super 8 in Biloxi, MS and that was the Ritz Carlton to the Best Miami Hotel.)

The Cons: The bathtub was stained black and mold covered the side of it. The sheets and blankets were stained. There were no curtains covering the windows. Just the sheers, someone actually removed the curtains. The TV was easily from the early 90's. The chest of drawers the TV sat on had two broken and chipped drawers. The customer service was horrible, there was a line out the door because nothing is automated. We watched the manager peek out at the line and then tell his employees "Goodnight". Breakfast consisted of cold instant eggs, instant orange juice, toast, cereal and questionable tasting sausage.

The Pros: Free shuttle to the Miami Port. (But make sure you mention that you need the shuttle as soon as you check in. It was packed to the brim and they left people behind to wait for the next shuttle two hours later.) Close to edible food and pleasant, non-moldy atmosphere. There is an outdoor mall within walking distance.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I read a lot of reveiws... and a lot of them were not good. Well, I needed a hotel for a descent price, and that offered shuttles from the airport and to the cruise port.
My options were limited for my January 1-3 stay being so close to New Years. So, I took a risk on it. And honestly, I'm glad I did.it was great for our purposes. Shuttles were great. Pool area was beautiful. As many reveiws made mention breakfast consists of toast... that's it! But there's an Einstein ' s Bagels 2 blocks from the hotel and a beautiful 3 story outdoor mall that has all your favorite stores (Victoria Secret, bath & body, even an AMC theatre). It was also nice that the hotel was within 5 minutes of the subway. We had easy access to all of miami. With all that said, this is not south beach. If your coming to Miami for south beach then you are about a half hour subway ride away. If you're just looking for a nice hotel with something to do for a day or two before your cruise this place is great. My mom said Miami was actually the highlights of her trip (we went on an 8 night Carnival cruise on the Breeze to the Eastern Carribbean adterwards!)

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Key West
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed here because of its proximity to the hospital. I knew we would spend little time in the hotel so I didn't want to pay a lot. Obviously we did not get one of the refurbished rooms. Ours was mildew smelling. It was very small. The AC was on one temp and we were unable to find a way to change it. The floor was dirty and damaged laminate. The drawer in the dresser was screwed shut. There was a micro but no fridge. The water in the lavatory sprayed everywhere when turned on. The man who checked me in failed to activate the keycard so I had to make a trip back to have it activated. The second day I had to make two trips down because the key card wouldn't work. After pending 13 hours in the hospital this was not what I needed. Also, our phone did not work. We needed a wake up call at 5:00 a.m. to go to the hospital. We were told maintenance would come up. They never did and when I called later on my cell we were told maintenance had left for the day, but that someone would wake us. In the interim I found a small alarm clock which awakened us. We did get a call too so apparently they fixed the phone on their end.
The entire place did not exude historic and elegant as much as dingy and neglected. We had 1 washcloth, 1 hand towel and 2 bath towels. The beds were not the worst I have experienced, but clearly not new. The window did not have a screen.
My husband said to give them 1 or 2 stars. The reason for the third is for the price and the location. It is still a convenient option. I needed a place from which I could walk to the hospital. It was about 6 blocks. We were told they offered a courtesy van to the hospital but when we arrived we were told they did not. I had to cab in the evening, but that was OK. The nurses at the hospital said a woman should not walk alone in that area at night.
The parking garage was convenient and only $8 a day. Internet in the room was sketchy at best.
If you need a good price and keep your expectations low this may be the place for you. The sheets and towels seemed clean. Everything else needed a good scrubbing.

Room Tip: If you don't like birds, ask for an interior room. We had a courtyard room and the little birds...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
buenos aires Argentina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We were two nights and the hotel is beautiful but old. The are is a good one. The rail is one block away and the Sunset Mall is also a block away with many beautiful restaurants. The shuttle to the airport is perfect just what we needed. They are repairing the hotel my room was well painted. For this price I was happy with my choice Employees very nice.

Room Tip: There is no need for a car. WE went to Coral Gables, Coconut Grove by train great!! The shuttle is...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The building is older but maintained well. The staff was friendly, and the location was perfect. It within walking distance of shops, bars, restaurants and movie theaters. There is a small continental breakfast included. I've seen the other reviews. and fortunately we did not encounter any similar problems.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with friends
Ellenwood, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Ok I have been to hotels all over and came across some extremely bad ones, but I think that this hotel takes the trophy for being the worst, the service sucks the room smells like it has been flooded when we went in there there was blood in the tub, but the one thing that pushed me over the edge was I called for towels and could not get one because the linen room was locked so they told me to call back in the morning when I did they were washing the towels so for two days I could not get towels.

Room Tip: do not go to this hotel
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these South Miami hotels

1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Service was horrible, I requested an iron before I checked in. Never got it. Next morning, I asked for the iron was told I was on waiting list. Hotel toilet, shower need upgrade. I wanted to check out by the next day, they don't give refunds, manager never called me. End up checking out early anyway.

Never again....

Room Tip: Service was horrible, they do not give refund. We booked out early, no refund.
  • Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Been to Best Miami Hotel? Share your experiences!