“the room we got was not great” 2 of 5 stars

Best Miami Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5959 SW 71st St, South Miami, FL 33143-3599   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in South Miami
Peoria, Illinois
“the room we got was not great”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

The room we got looked rather old and there was some water leakage when we got in. We stayed for a night, but definitely not good enough to be considered a 3 star hotel. The lobby looked attractive though, sadly can't say the same thing about the room

• Stayed September 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Inverness, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The hotel is old and needs some work. Rooms are cold..I love that. The showers are hot I definitely love that. If you are expecting luxury.( in my italian voice) forget about it! We stayed for 4days. It is located in a nice area and next to the hospital. Perfect! Oh yes make sure you know some spanish in this area. Overall I enjoyed the stay. Staff was friendly and very accommodating. DISLIKE: well the extra cost 8 bucks a night for parking and 2 bucks a night for the security box in the room we never used. So yeah..expect to pay. An extra 10 bucks charged at the hotel upon arrival, on top of whatever deal you choose thru whatever service online you book with. We weren't feeling great after our cruise and I couldn't get my money back. So we stayed it was comfortable.. and we toured around in a decent radius from the hotel.

• Stayed September 2014
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place is horrible! Dirty, moldy, loud, scary. The parking was terrible. Our room was on the fourth floor, so we parked on the fourth floor. There was no elevator and no way in except to carry your bags up the stairs. When we got into our room, the door lock was broken and didn't lock properly. Practically every surface was dirty, scraped up, moldy or in need of repair. There was no closet door on the closet. There were holes in the wall. Someone did a piss poor job of trying to repair the towel rack and it felt like something might have been crawling around somewhere. The bed was HORRIBLE! I scraped my shin when I put my knee on the bed to reach for my suitcase. . . .the metal from the wire springs barely had any cloth covering. Neither my husband or I really slept the whole night.

I have to also say that I travel for work all the time. I am constantly in a hotel in a strange city and don't feel scared. I am a Road Warrior and this place was the worst I have seen. Thank goodness it was just a stopover to where we were staying in Marathon FL. If our flight hadn't gotten in so late, I would have just left and driven the rest of the way to the keys!

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these South Miami hotels

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Not a nice hotel , dirty , room locks don't work , damp, not welcoming breakfast is a joke. The hotel is miles from any tourist areas and needs a total make over. If you want South beach then don't get confused with this place our travel agent booked this and we did not check it out, its a45 minute train journey to the beach

Room Tip: If you want the beach or tourist area book somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Okay, let's start with the good, since it won't take long: The hardwood floors are nice, the AC works (probably a little too well), and the room we had was pretty big. Now for the bad: When I booked the hotel, I was told it was only a 15 minute drive from South Beach and the airport. Turns out it is more like an hour for both. I called for the shuttle while we were at the baggage claim in the Port of Miami. At first the lady says it will take 30 minutes, but then we will have to call back when we are outside and THEN they will send a shuttle (because everyone loves to wait outside in the sweltering heat of Miami, right?). Then when I called back a few minutes later they said their shuttle was down and I would have to pay for a cab and they will reimburse me. We take a $40 cab ride, and then when we got there, we were told there is going to be a $30 fee for checking in early (even though they didn't bother to tell us that when we called them for the shuttle, or put it in the terms when I booked the room online), and a $2.00/night fee for a safe we won't be using. So much for that reimbursing, huh? They don't have an iron in the room, and if you want laundry done (even just a wash and dry), you have to have it sent out and hope it comes back before you leave. The shuttle to the airport leaves at 8 AM and then doesn't leave again until 1, so if your flight leaves any time in between, like ours, you're stuck at the airport for hours. There is nothing around it in terms of restaurants or anything but a little sub shop and an Einstein's Brothers Bagels. The closest mall is Dadeland Mall. Yup, THAT Dadeland Mall. I guess we got what we paid for, but it would have been nice to have been informed about all the fees and had a little more professional service. I don't mind paying as long as I am aware, but not letting people know until they get to the front desk is sheisty and unprofessional.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2014

First of all, I do not find this property to be as terrible as described. My stay was pleasent and comfortable. I really paid $36.00 on travelocity hidden hotels. The shuttle was there in the time I was told, yes the rooms can use some touch ups, cleaning could be slightly better, but for the price paid, I believe the hotel is a good deal. For a quick one night stop over was just fine. The breakfast is pretty lame, some kind of orange juice, and bread. The staff was really friendly and polite, the shittle did not smell bad like it was reported in the past, driver was also really nice.

I will warn you that the hotel smells a lot like humidity, and there are some mold patches around the hotel, if you are allergyc to mold then stay away.

If you are looking for a comfortable 1 to 1 1/2 star hotel then this place is fine.

Grounds inside the hotel/ pool can use some work.

Would stay again.

Room Tip: Stayed in a room inside the main building.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2014 via mobile

I've been in hotels and hostels all over the world but this hotel is just lame. Understaffed, that should tell you how clean the bed sheets could be. The room has an odor of old ciggarette. They charge you $8 per day for parking and a MANDATORY $2 fee for the safe, which they charge regardless you use or not. If you add up all that you can afford something better (holiday inn or alike) so the argument "you get what you pay for" does not apply because it ends costing a lot. Stay away from hotwire and "miami best (worse) hotel". I would rather use airbnb. I never write a review but it is that bad. Unfortunately hot wire did not allow me to change.

• Stayed August 2014

Been to Best Miami Hotel? Share your experiences!