“Great over many years” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Miami, Florida
“Great over many years”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I have gone to Captain's Tavern since I was a teenager when they opened.
Over the years we have gone as a family. First with my parents, then with my children and now grandchildren. We have never been disappointed.
The food is always fresh. The service fast and the wine prices the most reasonable that we have found.

Visited April 2014

91% Recommend
North Wildwood, New Jersey
“Delicious and enjoyable meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

I was told this is a favorite place of locals and that all the fish is caught by boats owned by the restaurant. A group of nine of us dined, and most of us had the half-pound lobster special. My wife said it was the best she had had in a long time. I was a tiny bit disappointed with the admiral’s variety platter; I felt the lobster was a little stringy and slightly chewy, but otherwise good. Service was exceptionally quick; we were served the appetizer in just a few minutes. The calamari and tuna sushi were excellent but the edamame were a little too salty. The key lime pie was great. The only thing wrong with it was that it was so good everyone wanted a bite. If you are in the mood to splurge at $25-30 a plate, The Captain’s Tavern is good place for a very enjoyable and delicious meal!

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Muret, France
“Lot of wait for an average seafood meal”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2014

Arrived at 7:30pm for dinner... I was told by an unfriendly hostess I would have to wait for 20 minutes, which was OK. I had a beer at the bar, but had to wait for 40 minutes instead. Maybe because I was alone?

Once I got seated at last, the waiter advised me to pick the Tuesday lobster special (two for one, one pound each). I did .., and sort of regretted it! Small, far too cooked, no taste... Really disappointed!

I hoped the dessert would make the difference. I opted for the Rum Cake. Portion was HUGE, but it was too dry for me, definitively missing Rum dressing.

The bill was quite reasonable. But based on this experience, I would say this restaurant is overrated on TA.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“great sea food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

we eat there several times a year when we r in the area. Wonderfull fish selection.Lobster specials are good value. Atmophere what you would expect in a tavern. Nice and reasonable wine selection. Service always good . No fancy preps, just good solid fresh sea food

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami, FL
“Christmas Eve at the Captain's Tavern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2013

Tuesday night is lobster night at the Captain's Tavern and Christmas Eve was no exception. Good service, great lobsters and continued good quality through the years. Great sushi too. It's my comfort zone and it always feels good there. We bring our own wine and their corking charge is only ten dollars. Go there. Try everything. Yum!!

• Visited December 2013