“Very Nice Night” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
Cortland, New York, United States
“Very Nice Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I took my mother to the Captain's Tavern recently and we had a very pleasant evening. They did not take reservations and we were told that there would be a 20 minute wait when we arrived, so we settled in at the bar. The bartender was incredibly nice and offered excellent suggestions for wine and cocktails. Our 20 minute wait turned into less than 10 minutes and we were duly shown our table by a very pleasant lady.

Our meals were very well prepared and the server was very kind and friendly. He was also quite knowledgeable and offered excellent entree options. When you visit this restaurant, please try the white chocolate creme brulee - delicious!

My only reason for not giving an excellent vote was that we were in a very crowded area. We were jammed pretty close to our neighbors, but it was still pretty comfortable. I will say that I will be back on my next trip to Miami.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

91% Recommend
Bridgetown, Barbados
“Great Value for Great Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

This restaurant was terrific the food, the service and the drinks were great. In all I can only sum up the experience as excellent and highly reecommend it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Madison, Alabama
“Ahoy Captain!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

The side salad was very good, crisp and the tomatoes was the best I have has in years!! They do not use "hot house" tomatoes but field grown jewels that burst with taste!!

The Oyster plate was divine, very lightly breaded that was not heavy at all. In fact it was almost like the texture of a tempura batter - yummy!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
University Park, Florida
“We Loved it!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had 6 couples in Miami attending the Boat Show and Coconut Grove Art Fair, so it was a very busy high season weekend. Bella, the hostess, did her best and we were seated within 15 minutes.(We had clled ahead a few days to let her know we were coming.) Our server was great and handled the large group with ease. We had the whole Maine Lobster and it was terrific. We also tried several appetizers- Conch Fritters, Oysters on the Half Shell and they too, were delicious. It was a lively place and we all enjoyed the entire evening. It was the classic old decor, but clean and quaint. We will return!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Kansas City, Missouri
“Bad Food/Bad Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were in Miami for two weeks. On our last night we chose the Captain's Tavern. The hostess showed us to a table and threw the menus in the middle of the table and left. We sat for over 20 minutes without anyone stopping by. Finally a waiter showed up and asked what we wanted. No drink request; no discussion; no welcome. We had to ask about the specials.

We both order the Grouper which was supposedly the freshest. My wife had hers grilled and at the waiter's suggestion I had mine served with a mushroom and wine sauce. I also ordered conch fritters and my wife some sushi as an appetizer. The sauce on my fish arrived only luke warm and did not do anything for the fish. My wife made the better choice.

Two hours later my stomach was hurting and after another hour or so, I was vomiting. I had no other signs of flu. I had scrambled eggs for lunch and only a banana and protein bar for lunch since we were playing golf. It had to be either the conch or the sauce on the fish since those were the only thing I had that my wife didn't. I am told that I should report to the Health Department which I guess I should do.

I cannot recommend this place in anyway. It was dingy and not too clean. This is the worst review I have ever given any restaurant.

• Visited February 2013