“We Loved it!!” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Seafood
University Park, Florida
“We Loved it!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

We had 6 couples in Miami attending the Boat Show and Coconut Grove Art Fair, so it was a very busy high season weekend. Bella, the hostess, did her best and we were seated within 15 minutes.(We had clled ahead a few days to let her know we were coming.) Our server was great and handled the large group with ease. We had the whole Maine Lobster and it was terrific. We also tried several appetizers- Conch Fritters, Oysters on the Half Shell and they too, were delicious. It was a lively place and we all enjoyed the entire evening. It was the classic old decor, but clean and quaint. We will return!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Kansas City, Missouri
“Bad Food/Bad Service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

We were in Miami for two weeks. On our last night we chose the Captain's Tavern. The hostess showed us to a table and threw the menus in the middle of the table and left. We sat for over 20 minutes without anyone stopping by. Finally a waiter showed up and asked what we wanted. No drink request; no discussion; no welcome. We had to ask about the specials.

We both order the Grouper which was supposedly the freshest. My wife had hers grilled and at the waiter's suggestion I had mine served with a mushroom and wine sauce. I also ordered conch fritters and my wife some sushi as an appetizer. The sauce on my fish arrived only luke warm and did not do anything for the fish. My wife made the better choice.

Two hours later my stomach was hurting and after another hour or so, I was vomiting. I had no other signs of flu. I had scrambled eggs for lunch and only a banana and protein bar for lunch since we were playing golf. It had to be either the conch or the sauce on the fish since those were the only thing I had that my wife didn't. I am told that I should report to the Health Department which I guess I should do.

I cannot recommend this place in anyway. It was dingy and not too clean. This is the worst review I have ever given any restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Harpswell, Maine
“Solid night out.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012 via mobile

Visited Captain's Tavern on a recent visit to friends in Miami. Meal was very good. But by far the best part of the night was our server who made the night totally enjoyable and fun.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Miami, FL
“Fresh fish, not fresh decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

Welcome back to the 70s, with kitsch. But nobody seems to mind, and it's rather endearing and comfortable. What we're here for is the massively multiple menu options, featuring all manner of seafood that swim and crawl and whatever. They also run a fish market, which is attached and accessible from SW 98 St.

Back to the seafood - you can have it boiled, broiled, grilled, fried, sauced and even raw as there's also a serviceable sushi menu. They have European preparations, Asian preparations, Latin preparations and seafood specials on particular evenings, including their famous Tuesday 2-for-1 Maine lobster nights. No reservations - first come first served and all members of party need to be present to be seated. The bar is an old fashioned one, with regulars in attendance.

The extensive, extensive menu really needs to be re-worked as parts are redundant and appeared never to have been comprehensively edited - there's ample room for confusion (as for an example, multiple offerings of sliced or seared tuna in a variety of styles on three different pages on the menu). Take your time with the menu and note the fish varieties on the chalkboard.

The other wonderful aspect to this local favorite institution is their wine list, which is also extensive. The owner is famously knowledgeable and connected, and they have reasonable pricing on premium wines, and special pricing on an ongoing basis.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Miami
“Long Time Favorite, Super Fresh Seafood”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

You will love this restaurant. We have been customers for over 30 years - for a reason. The menu of fish changes daily and it's always cooked to perfection. No dried out, overcooked seafood here - they know what they're doing. Pompano with macadamia crust and mango chutney is a winner. Cedar plank salmon, another fabulous dish. Their creamy garlic salad dressing is a must - but you will have garlic breath, so be sure your date orders it too! Wish they served bread at lunch, they don't. My only complaint. Take home fresh seafood from their market right around the corner. When you want excellent seafood, eat here. Atmosphere is not fancy, just nice saltwater tanks everywhere, but it's comfortable, casual and they're open everyday except Superbowl Sunday!

Visited August 2012