“Quality Food in a Surprising Setting” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #42 of 56 Restaurants in South Miami
Cuisines: Italian
Miami, Florida
“Quality Food in a Surprising Setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I had an impromptu lunch here. We didn't have high expectations, as we'd visited its predecessor and hadn't been very impressed. The setting is simple and family-friendly. Not a date place, but if you want to grab a bite before going to the movies, or a quick, tasty lunch, Chez Enzo's would fill the bill. They also have beer and wine, and I could see stopping there and meeting a few friends to relax for lunch, or supper after work.

You don't usually find risotto as a standard menu item in many Italian restaurants, but I was surprised to see several varieties on theirs. I had the asparagus risotto and found it quite delicious and flavorful. The rice was perfectly cooked, and it was just starchy enough to make it pleasantly creamy rather than the library paste one sees elsewhere. My husband had the spaghetti with salmon in cream sauce. Again, surprisingly light and tasty.

Aside from the risotto, you choose the type of pasta you want, then the sauce. There is also a nice variety of salads (for the ladies who lunch) and appetizers. I would have liked a small salad with my main course, but those are apparently a la carte. They do bring bread and a small dish of olive oil with balsamic vinegar, black pepper, and heavily loaded with grated parmesan to the table. Maybe a bit too much parmesan, as it seems to have soaked up all the balsamic, but you mix it up with a bit of bread, and it's very tasty.

We are adding Chez Enzo to our list of lunch/supper spots in South Miami. I hope more folks discover it and it survives so close to the trendier (and pricier) establishments in the neighborhood.

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Miami
“Better off eating at cafeteria”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Went to lunch at this new restaurant. We were shown to our table and offered bread with oil and cheese with balsamic vinegar but we had to ask for a menu. The menu is different. You get to pick the type of sauce you want with your type of pasta. I opted for a salad with feta, strawberries and nuts. The dressing was fair, the strawberries were sliced into very small and few pieces. The feta was enough but the nuts were so small that there was hardly enough for a crunch. The penne pasta was so overcooked it fell apart and the napoli sauce was very bland and lacking. Everyone's food looked alike and unapealing. We will not return

• Visited January 2013