“Choose Unit Carefully - Worst Unit Ever” 1 of 5 stars

You added Jamaica Royale Condominiums to your Saves list
Jamaica Royale Condominiums
5830 Midnight Pass Road, Siesta Key, FL 34242   |
Boston, Massachusetts
“Choose Unit Carefully - Worst Unit Ever”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

We recently stayed in Tower 2 with a lovely ocean view. The best part of our stay was the view and access to the beach. That's it! Our Unit on the 3rd floor, even number, looked good in pictures. It was a different story in person. The kitchen was ok and may have been updated in the last few years. Although the stools were horribly dirty and beatup. The rest of the Unit looks like it has been the same since it was built (I believe 1970s). This includes all the decor, furniture and dried flowers. The 2nd bedroom has an awful mildew smell that I could not get rid of all week. There were water stains on the ceiling so I'm assuming mold problems. I was afraid for my children's health and tried to get as much fresh air in as possible. What a hassle. The shag carpeting in the bedrooms was disgusting and left grit in our sandals. I would never, ever go barefoot in this Unit. The beds were in awful shape. I don't believe the mattresses have ever been changed. The bedframes were not attached. I was afraid of bedbugs all week. The linens were so cheap and terribly scratchy. There were no ceiling fans in the bedrooms. The bathrooms were tiny and in disgusting condition. The toilets and sinks were about 2 feet high and barely usable. There was no stopper in the master sink which made a horrible sound when the water was turned on. It seemed unsanitary. The plastic blinds kept falling apart and did nothing to provide privacy. The windows were so dirty and hard to open and shut. The appliances have seen better days and never worked properly. The microwave was all rusty as were the faucets in bathrooms. There were no potholders and all the knives/utensils were dull and rusty. We had to provide our own beach towels, detergent, dishwasher detergent, trash bags, plastic wrap, shampoo, hairdryer, etc. The washer/dryer was in horrible condition and did not work properly. There wasn't a clothes basket to be found. No beach umbrellas are provided. Many of the lights did not work. The outlets looked dangerous. This place needs to be gutted and remodeled. I wanted to leave after arriving. We stayed only for the location, balcony and the fact it was a holiday week. Siesta Key has a nice beach but most of the condos look old and do not have open air balconies. I'd go back to Jamaica Royale but only in a completely renovated Unit. I'd first want to see pics of the bathrooms. Beware if you do not see any. I will say the Staff was nice and accommodating. This was the worst Condo I've ever rented and now I wish I asked for my money back. Shame on the Owner!! It looks to be fully rented for the season too.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

50 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

We first stayed here on our honeymoon in 1985. We came back a couple of years later with 2 other family members. We went back for the first time in about 24 years in June 2011 with 20 family members. We love Siesta Key and the Jamaica Royale is the only place we've ever stayed when visiting Siesta Key, but we didn't want to travel that far with small kids. The beach is the biggest draw, but they have some nice cabanas that you can sit under to get some shade, a nice sized pool, and some units have covered parking.The condo was very nice and had all of the essentials. We had some small problems (the drain in the shower didn't work very well, a couple of shade blades were missing, and we saw a water bug), but we called the front desk and they took care of it the next day. We'd definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

This is a great location on Siesta Key! This unit is steps from Crescent beach. I prefer the villas to the towers as you pull right up to your front door and can exit to the lawn/garden and beach out your back patio. We stayed in this same unit about 8 years ago and not much has changed since then. The bathroom was very nicely re-done and there is a new sofa bed plus lots of storage with additional built-ins. The kitchen is the same but well maintained and clean. The laundry room is a big plus too as you will need to wash your own towels through the week.The villas have an old-style Florida charm that reminds me of visiting my grandparents and this unit is especially true in that aspect. You can tell the owners take pride in their unit and it is very clean and well-organized and decorated like well, my grandmother's house. The biggest issue we had with the unit this time was the two double beds need to be replaced. It is past due and they should both be at the same height. Our backs were killing us at the end of our week stay. The other problem with this type of rental was limited toilet paper and tiny bars of soap, no dish soap, laundry soap or dishwasher soap. No salt and pepper, no sugar, tea or coffee. We had to buy every little basic thing. I think these items should be maintained in the unit especially since there is no maid service until you leave. The office staff was very polite to us but I do recommend that you are dressed properly when you go to the office. Late check-in is easy and efficient. The property is very well-maintained. However, Sarasota is a village of basically elderly people and lots of realtors, doctors, and lawyers. People watching on the beach tends toward the geriatric. Order and control is a big deal in this community. We came off the beach in the evening and sat under a cabana to escape the rain and were questioned about whether we were staying at the property. My husband at 55 liked the orderly control of not allowing the beach lounges and chairs past the sign (far from the water) and put up every night, in comparison to a nearby property with chairs strewn about the beach up to the water's edge. But myself, I prefer a warmer, more flexible social environment. I would have enjoyed lying on a chair near the water.
I highly recommend Morton's Market for prepared foods and their superb bakery. Siesta Village market had some excellent rib eye and Taste of Germany had an outstandingly authentic apple strudel. Otherwise, Publix grocery off Stickney Point will suffice for basics.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom condo in October. This facility is located right on Siesta Key Beach; it has 3 pools and is less than 2 miles to Siesta Key Village where the restaurants, bars and shops are located. It was immaculately clean and well maintained. The price was very reasonable and we would highly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Check on the internet and try to see pictures of the facility before you book it.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2011

I recently rented Unit No. 1 for my Daughter from Michigan, she was able to stay for 12 days and loved the Unit and the Beach! The unit could not have been nicer, a beautiful unit on a beautiful beach! Because of my Daughters experience my Grand Daughter and her family will be visiting The Jamaican Royale in December!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2011

As always the grounds and beach were great! I will definately be back next year.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Arrived late due to Thomas cook flight delay so arrived at 11pm the key to the room was in a box waiting for us and a security guy on a buggy arrived to show us our way to our room. We had number 604 in number 2 tower block which was a bit tired looking but very clean and tidy. The grounds were very clean and the pools also very clean, sunbeds by the pools and on the private beach where plentyfull. We where very happy with our room until we went to have a drink on our last night with some people in room 603 our faces dropped this room was fabulous marble on the floors very modern a 62" television also a marble topped kitchen beach view from the balcony. On reflection our room was a dump compared to this if we would have seen it on the first night then we would have complained but please dont let me put you off the Jamaica Royal overall it was Fantastic.

Room Tip: 603 in number 2 tower block was Fabulous
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Jamaica Royale Condominiums? Share your experiences!