“Another great vacation at the Sara Sea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tropical Beach Resorts

You added Tropical Beach Resorts to your Saves list
Tropical Beach Resorts
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6717 Sara Sea Circle, Siesta Key, FL 34242 (Formerly Tropical Shores Beach Resort)   |
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Siesta Key
Certificate of Excellence 2014
upstate NY
“Another great vacation at the Sara Sea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is my third time at the Tropical beach resorts and have really enjoyed each and every one of them. It is a clean well maintained resort. They pay attention to the details. If I had to find a negative it would be that the pillows are too hard and there always seem to be someone using a noisy leaf blower.
Excellent housekeeping.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I visit Siesta Key once or twice every year. I usually rent a condo, or house at a diffrent spot each time. However this year I tried Tropical Shores because of the great rate I found. It turned out to be my favorite place so far! It's just a couple steps to the beach first off. You can walk down to the public section of Siesta Key in 5 mins...I did a couple times.
We stayed in a 2 Bdrm unit; it had a fully equipt kitchen with updated appliances. Both rooms had closets (u would be surprised), nice TVs with cabel, & beds super comfy.
The property itself is super cute with little tiki areas & a pool. Shared grill areas & a little patio set out front our door. I did free yoga on the beach that they offer & it was beautiful. The front desk staff was very helpful, & pleasant, & house keeping was everyday.
One thing I found particularly nice was they had lay down beach chairs available for all guests & beach towel sign out so I didn't have to buy that stuff when I got there.
We took the free Johnny Cab (the front desk told us about) to the village shopping area a few times, & also to Captain Curts (which has an outside bar open till 2:00 thank you) Trust me if you're a night owl like me, you'll need that info lol.
Anyway, all in all I really think I get the best bang 4 my buck at Tropical Shores. It had the little details that make cross country, & seasonal travel easier. I'll definitely be back.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Tropical Beach section, and it was very nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Frankfort, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We returned to Tropical Shores in October 2012. We stayed in a queen Hideaway at the SaraSea.
As usual, everyone and most everything was great. The only thing I would say that was not as good as the first time we were there was the quality of the bed. It was rather soft and not super comfortable. The location in relationship to the beach was wonderful. We love relaxing at Cresent Beach. The staff is great and always more than helpful. When we return again, and we will, I think I would prefer to stay at the Tropical Shores in a deluxe efficiency. That is where we stayed the first time when we visited in Jan. 2012. It was really enjoyable. Thanks for your continuing hospitality.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Tr0picalSun, General Manager at Tropical Beach Resorts, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know you enjoyed your recent stay at Tropical Beach Resorts. We truly appreciate the compliments you shared about our team and the property. We also want to thank you for letting us know you we're concerned about the bed being soft. The beds are almost new but it was changed out by our manufacture after this review was read. There was a defect and we really appreciate you letting us know. We also want to ensure our guests that if something is not perfect.. We will correct it right away! We want your experience to be perfect! We are always listening and striving to exceed your expectations!
Palmetto, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

im so impressed of how clean every was from the inside of the rooms to the grounds. all the employees were so helpful and nice give this resort 10 stars also the beds were confortable it seemed like anything you needed was taken care of just by asking management.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Tr0picalSun, General Manager at Tropical Beach Resorts, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to let us know you had a great time staying with us! We hope to see you in the future! On behalf of everyone at Tropical Beach Resorts.. Happy Holiday's!
Saratoga Springs, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

Wife and I arrived mid-week for a six day stay. Everything was as advertised -- place was neat and clean. Good location with small grocery and a few restaurants within walking distance. Paid about $100 per night via booking.com, which was reasonable given the location and local market. Friendly staff. All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Tr0picalSun, General Manager at Tropical Beach Resorts, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Thanks for the great review! We sure appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you again this year! We truly appreciate your positive feedback and support and will also strive to exceed your expectations and make your stay on Siesta Key extra special!!
Annapolis, Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

My husband and I decided to come here to celebrate our anniversary. We'd taken a very early morning flight so we were really looking forward to taking an afternoon nap and then going out to celebrate. No sooner had our heads hit the pillow, then the landscaping started. There was a crew with CHAINSAWS right outside our room. After listening to this for well over an hour, I finally called the front desk to complain. The front desk basically told me to deal with it. They assured me it would be over soon. After another hour, I called back. Again, no help whatsoever. Finally, out of desperation, I sent an email to a manager on the hotel paperwork. Ultimately, the chainsaws and leafblowers went on for hours. By 5pm (after about 3 + hours), we couldn't take it any more and we left the room--exahuasted. I can't stress how loud and obnoxious this was. This was made worse by the fact that when I made the reservations, I specifically asked for the quietest room possible. They assured me they could handle the request. Ummm, not.

Eventually, I did receive an email from a manager who said I could stop by the office before 9pm. I'm not sure why, I clearly explained the problem? She offered us champagne(?--we never got that) and offered to help us find another room at another resort. I didn't get the email until several hours later and by then it was well past 9pm. She never followed up. Quite frankly, I didn't want to have to chase her down again. This was supposed to be our vacation. I wanted to leave immediately; however, my husband didn't want to pack up and try to find another place. We ended up staying a few more nights. We did hear the chainsaws sporadically, but we were determined to make the best of things and just started spending the day away from the "resort".

Also: this hotel is not what I'd call a resort. True, there's a pool. However, this hotel is in very crowded area so there isn't really a whole lot of privacy or peacefulness. You're basically walking through a parking lot to get to the narrow brick-laid and palm-tree lined path that leads to the beach. Way more blacktop than palm trees.

Another issue is that this place is set up like a strip motel. When we looked at the website, we thought we'd be able to open the large picture window and see a beautiful view (referring the Destination room here). However, the "view" is actually parking spaces. Needless to say, the blinds stayed shut.

The beach: this place boasts a private beach. However, this beach is shared with other resorts. This area would be to your left when you walk down the path. Very small and geographically limited--it's at the very end of the beach. To your right, the beach belongs to Beach Club and they stake their section with chairs and umbrellas that are already set up and only available to their guests. The end result is a very cramped beach. Also, of note is the fact this section of the beach is definitely rockier and not as soft as Siesta Beach. We love to walk on the beach and this section actually hurts your feet because of the shells/rocks. Think of it more Sanibel-like as opposed to Siesta Key.

My final suggestion: Skip this resort. If you want to stay on Crescent Beach, go to Crescent Towers and get a room beach-side. Much, much better location (actually on the beach) and much bigger section of beach.

If you do go with this resort: be sure to ask about landscaping. Seriously. The chainsaws and leaf blowers will drive you mad! Also, be sure to visit Siesta Key public beach. It's only a short drive away and worth it. The beach is much, much bigger and has the absolutely delightful sand that you're looking for.

Cape Coral
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Wrote this review quite a while ago. It got pulled and I’m, not sure why. Made several inquiries but could not get a satisfactory answer. Read review several times and could see nothing wrong. Finally had hubby read it and he thought that perhaps the last statement that I made facetiously might have been taken literally. So I am re-submitting this with the last statement off. It in no way effects my review.
I’ve never written any kind of review before but feel I should write this property up to save someone the complete disappointment my husband and I experienced at this property.
My husband and I are frequent travelers. We average about 40 hotel night stays per year. In 35 years of traveling, this was one of the worst experiences we have ever had.
We tend to celebrate our “big” wedding anniversaries by booking hotel stays. Most decent hotels will make sure you have a nice room for your anniversary. In fact, some hotels have upgraded us to fantastic suites as well as sending us wine, candies and flowers. We were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary and wanted to spend it at a very special hotel. We are on a strict budget (we are elderly, retired and on a fixed income) so couldn’t splurge too much. I saw the Tropical Beach Resorts on Expedia, and after reading the overwhelmingly positive reviews on tripadvisor, decided this was the place for us.
When we booked this trip through Expedia, in the comments/requests box, we said it was our 35th wedding anniversary. We said whatever they could do to give us a nice room would be appreciated. We also called Tropical Beach Resorts twice to confirm and again mentioned that we were celebrating our 35th wedding anniversary.
Since this is more of a budget property, we were not expecting a complimentary upgrade to one of their best rooms or complimentary wine and or flowers. However, based on the reviews we read, we were expecting a nice room.
Well, the hotel stay from hell started as soon as we entered the main office. The main office left a very bad first impression. It was tiny, cramped and typical of a cheap motel. Since we weren’t sleeping in the front office, we figured no big deal. We checked in and were given keys to room 161. We wanted a remodeled room with central air so being on a budget, we booked the hummingbird room (which online was listed as remodeled and having central air).
When we got to the room, we barely noticed the room itself (which was very small but we could live with that). What we immediately noticed was that the laundry facilities for the whole complex (several washers and dryers) were located right next door to us (So much for the staff’s sensitivity to it being our 35th wedding anniversary).
We went back to the front office and told them we do not want to be located next to the laundry facilities. There was a woman there now (we were checked in by a fellow) and she told us that we’d be surprised, it’s quieter than listening to TV’s or voices from the room next door (how very lovely for our 35th – the sound of washers and dryers going is sure to set a romantic atmosphere). She did however provide us with two alternative rooms. One was in the same building, larger but unrenovated. The room had a wall A/C unit right over my side of the bed that sounded like a jet engine taking off (I was sure to have a good night’s sleep in that room). For an additional $20 (plus tax) we were shown another unrenovated room (1 bedroom suite with central air). It was room 128. It had absolutely no privacy or view. It overlooked 3 parking spaces and it was right in front of the main entry road into the complex. Well, since we weren’t going to get our money back (we booked with Expedia) and our wedding anniversary was that day, we decided to try to make the best of it and take room 128 for an additional charge.
On the plus side for room 128 – it was fairly large (although the bathroom was small). It had a comfortable couch and chair in the front room. The front room TV was a large screen TV but it was mounted very high on the wall so you had to keep looking up to see it. My husband and I both had sore necks after our two day stay because of this.
There were unfortunately many negatives in this room. Since there was no privacy, we had to keep the blinds closed during our stay (This made us feel claustrophobic – we usually keep all the blinds open, and if there are curtains, pull them back. We like an open feeling.). In general the room was worn and outdated. It also had lots of cheap touches. The tiles in the kitchen and bathroom were very old fashioned (they were light colored and had very dark grout). The cabinets were cheap wood laminate. The kitchen table was cheap and imbedded in the floor (like McDonald’s). The carpet was old, worn and had rolls in it (it needed re-stretching). The insides of drawers (especially in bedroom) had all sorts of stains in them. The lampshade had stains / yellow rings. The bedroom closet door on the left side was very hard to open – it stuck to the carpet. The bathroom baseboard was really dirty and cracked. The toilet paper had a string tied around it (like they had to prove it was clean / unused). The toilet had a really gross rusty / dirt ring around the base. There was also another dirty ring on the floor at the base of the toilet (like another toilet might have been there and removed). The things that usually cover the screws on the base of the toilet were missing, exposing old, rusty screws. The condition of the shower / tub was so gross, that although we are accustomed to our daily showers, we thought it would be more sanitary to skip the showers during our two day stay. The inside of the shower handle had a ton of black mold; I didn’t want to touch it There was a toilet plunger in back of the toilet right next to the shower / tub. The maid? draped the shower curtain and shower liner right over the toilet plunger (I’m not taking a shower with a shower liner that was touching a toilet plunger that had plunged God knows what). The towels in the bathroom were really thin (like those roadside motels that advertise $29.00 a night for a single). They were dirty (not stains but like someone picked them up with dirty fingers).
About the property itself and other miscellaneous comments – We only found two pools (may have been more but we didn’t see them). They were the typical rectangular cheap motel type – not very appealing. The pool by the Tropical Sun was right on top of Midnight Pass Rd so very noisy. The pool by the office was locked (we found out you had to get a pool key when we tried to enter to use the shower to get sand off our feet). Why was it locked? Who on earth would try to “crash” and use this pool since it was nothing to write home about. When we traded the beach / pool towels found in the room for clean ones at the front office we asked for one extra towel. Although we did get it, the clerk’s response was – woa – how many people in your room (he knew – he checked us in – we are old and I have a bad back – I need an extra towel for my back when I sit in a beach chair – why give us a hard time over one extra towel?) The water at the outside showers / foot washes smelled really bad – like rotten eggs and / or sewage – don’t want that on my skin. The public toilet consisted of one very cramped unisex stall with one roll of toilet paper. The beach was nice but in Florida you could do better – we live in Florida and prefer Clearwater, Ft. Lauderdale or Miami Beach; the sand here is too powdery and sticks to everything. If you don’t have a quarter handy, forget the ice machine (yes, they charge for ice – never seen anything like it). We called the main office at 10:30 p.m. to set up a wake-up call several times and got no answer. Apparently, the office closes at 10:00 p.m. And by the way, don’t lose your room keys when the office is closed, they will charge you $35 for new keys (like I really plan when I’m going to lose my keys).
To sum it all up – we would never stay here again (even if it was free). They ruined our 35th wedding anniversary (we are old and may not make it to the next big one; 40th ; there’s no way to recapture the 35th).

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tropical Beach Resorts? Share your experiences!