“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Hinsdale Il
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Wonderful French cuisine in a pleasant atmosphere. The portions are good. The early dinners include 4 courses and are reasonably priced. Excellent food service and value...and nice wines

portland, ct
“Fun but a little disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is a nice little place tucked into a funny strip mall. Once you walk in the door, you forget about that. The staff is friendly and helpful though we waited a bit for someone to notice us when we walked in. The food is good and interesting but don't get the Cesar Salad or the Onion Soup which others have raved about. They were only o.k. We had the Mixed Grill which was lovely, cooked perfectly and a fun way to sample a bunch of items.

Get the Cherries Jubilee for dessert...call ahead to make sure they have those lovely cherries.

The espresso tasted like an instant coffee. Don't bother. All in all, not a bad experience but not a place I would rave about.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Meh, it's just OK.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Our experience here was just OK (and if you read through the following, I think you'll agree I'm being fair).

It turned out that the place was unexpectedly absolutely slammed with diners on the night we'd made a reservation, and there was a huge backup in the entrance hall.

What was not good was that even though we had reservations, no one stopped to even greet us in the entry hall.

Staff were running around actively trying to avoid making eye contact.

Never a good sign.

I can understand that you got unexpectedly busy, but it's not cool to have people whose reservations you accepted wait 10-15 minutes before you even greet them and let them know that you're running a little late and it will be another 10 minutes before they can be seated. Especially if carry yourself as fine dining.

To give him credit, the manager admitted this was not right, was gracious when I brought this up with him, and after the meal sent us over a dessert liqueur as a gesture to make amends.

Good job by him making the gesture -- that's about all one can ask for in the situation.

We had another problem once we were seated though.

My bread plate was dirty. It had greasy thumb prints all over it and several spots of some crusted over dried up liquid. Yuck.

The poor waiter was clearly slammed and harried. But he did a really good job under trying circumstances. Felt bad for the guy.

Now finally to the food.

Sorry, but it was simply average.

Troublingly, it felt like the food had been arranged on plates earlier in the day and then fired under a salamander when it was ordered.

Why do I say this?

Three reasons.

First, the entire plate was very very hot and stayed that way for a while. This suggests it was under a salamander or in the oven.

Second, the fish was very overcooked. The scallops and shrimp had been so overcooked that the texture was tough and rubbery. The whitefish was so overcooked it was dry.

Finally, the third reason (and this is why I said a salamander rather than an oven): every dish at our table was browned on the top, just as it would get if it sat under a salamander.

I wasn't in the kitchen, so I can't say for sure that the food had already been plated and then reheated. But there's basically no other explanation for a very hot plate, overcooked food that is also browned on the top.

As big fans of spanish food, we were excited to see garlic soup on the menu. But it was insufficiently garlicky to be a real spanish garlic soup (as touted on the menu). And it was bizarrely served au gratin, like french onion soup. Not sure that cheese is the best way to serve sopa de ajo.

So, all in all, not a very good night here.

I'll be fair and say that maybe it was all due to a lack of attention on what turned out to be an unexpectedly busy night for them.

All I can do is talk about our experience. I'm not judging their whole oeuvre, just what I experienced the night we went.

From the lack of greeting for 10-15 minutes (despite having a reservation), the dirty dish and the mediocre overcooked food that seemed to be reheated, our experience was: Meh.

Sorry to say it, but it seemed like the typical average meal at a restaurant in a touristy place.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Wonderful Dover Sole”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Loved the sole which was boned at the table and was exceptionally good. Somewhat old fashioned restaurant but always busy and both food and staff are genuinely excellent. Reservations are a must and they have great early bird specials!,

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Marlton, New Jersey
“food was delicious”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We hadn't been here in a while, but this time I can say I really enjoyed my dinner. The room has a nce decor and not noisy. Service was good.