“Good for retirees” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Siesta Key
Ann Arbor, MI
“Good for retirees”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

The resort is very well kept. The rooms are tiny (we stayed at Gabriella's) but clean. The carpet looked a bit old but other than that no complains about the room. The resort is not on the beach. It is close but you can't see the water from the rooms. There is a pool (no pool towels) for the several resorts around. It is ok but nothing special. The rooms don't have wireless but if your laptop has good reception you can pick up several public servers that will alow you to connect to IT for free. So don't spend $$ on getting a cable from the resort-you can get wireless there for free.
Majority of the guests at Captiva are retirees which makes the resort a quiet and relaxing place. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway for a week, it is a good place. I am not sure if I could stay there for a long period of time, it gets boring.
The office staff is very nice and helpful. Most guests come back each year.

• Liked — very clean
  • Disliked — not on the beach
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Valencia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2007

I had booked a week at the resort after talking to Elizabeth and Robert at the front desk. but ended up staying longer once I got there! They were extremely helpful in planning a great room for me. When I arrived I felt like I was in heaven! The beach is closer than I thought...it's like having your own private beach. In fact, the resort is located on a circular drive, so that there is no immediate traffic, as all the other small resorts are nestled around the pool and shuffleboard area. It is quiet, friendly, quaint and perfect for family or couples. I ended up staying ANOTHER whole week! I could not leave. I felt very taken care of by all at the resort.
The room was perfect. The bed, softer than any bed I had ever slept in. A great kitchen, but very small bath. Who cares about a big bathroom anyway!! I was greeted with a lovely bowl of fruit with just picked grapefuit from the local trees. There was a VHS player and Direct/Dish TV. Great everyday towel exchange. Great beach access with a wagon and beach toys for the kids.
You don't even need a car! Everything you need is within walking distance...fun inviting restaurants ("Miguels", french, "Javiers", peru, pizza, seafood, etc), a 7-11, ice cream, juice, wines, drug store and even a wonderful grocery store. There are clean gas grills to cook on at the resort. Sunset is a nightly ritual at the beach where the sand is soft, cool and powdery. This place feels like Florida "used" to feel 20 years ago. Robert, the owner, went out of his way to accomodate us and was the perfect "host". He is a great asset to the resort. It is very clean, updated and you can drink the water from the faucet. (very important in Florida). I am already planning another trip.

• Liked — the comfort and accessability to the beach
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't pack alot as it is a very laid back place.
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2006

My husband and I have stayed at Siesta Key three times, each time at a different place. Captiva was by far the cleanest, had the most flexible staff and was very convenient to the beach-which is FABULOUS! Robert has a dry sense of humor, which personally, I appreciate. One of the previous places we stayed would not allow for an early or late check in, you HAD to be there between 3 and 5pm or you had to wait until the clerk was available at their convenience. That made driving from Michigan quite stressful as we tried to fit within their requirements. Robert made checking in incredibly easy and was so nice about our vague response about when we could be there, especially since we were again driving from Michigan. The housekeepers were incredibly nice and helpful and Robert and the other desk people were available more hours than any other resort we stayed at on Siesta Key.

I read the comments of the person who said you had to put the toilet paper roll out to get another roll, I just want to say there was a reserve roll so it wasn't an issue. We didn't put our towels out until morning and the replacement towels arrived within an hour. I was pleasantly surprised to find such fabulous hospitality.

Yes, the room was small but it was all we needed for the two of us. The web site was accurate with it's pictures which clearly shows a small room and the young woman who I spoke with on the phone when making my reservation was completely up front about the small size of the room. If people were surprised by the size of the room they were not paying attention.

The kitchen was incredibly clean which was not the case with the other two places. I had to wash everything at the other places before I could use them. Captiva was sparkling clean with what appeared to me to be brand new dishes and silverware. The pans were so clean I didn't worry about washing them first. (That was a first for me!) The big bowl of fruit was such a surprise and so delicious! The orange juice in the fridge was just what we needed after a long drive to get us started on our vacation.

I think it's clear that the people who complained of lack of restaurants or entertainment were not of the adventurous type. You really didn't have to go far to find anything you wanted. Within a few miles there are great restaurants, malls, and nightlife. We thouroghly enjoyed our week in Nick's Niche and plan to return.

Stayed July 2006
Fort Lauderdale, FL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2006

First, I must say that Siesta Key and the Sara Sea Circle complex of condos is absolutely beautiful and the beach is amazing! However, the Captiva Beach Resort was the worse place I have ever stayed due to the arrogance and rudeness of the owner, Robert. We decided to take a short getaway from the East Coast of Florida for the weekend and came across the Captiva through this site. The reviews on this site were very misleading (the ones that say Robert is very nice). By first talking to Robert on the phone to book the room, he was very short and not "welcoming." We only stayed two nights and got to stay in 2 different rooms due to Robert's mistake of double-booking our room the second night. After checking in late Friday night, we were approached by Robert early Sat. morning and he told us we had to move. So, we ended up having to move our unpacked clothes and toiletries next door to another room. Robert didn't even apologize for the inconvenience. And, to top it all off we had to check-out at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday. He said that he had someone checking in, which was not true, because we went to the beach until noon that day and I didn't see anyone in that room. Feeling that maybe I was over-reacting about Robert, I asked a local person in the same resort area and my opinion was confirmed. The individual said (among many other things that I can not write) that he is a very disgruntled man. Now I know why there were vacancies on a busy 4th of July weekend at Captiva Beach Resort, especially with the powerboat races going on that weekend, as well.

• Stayed July 2006
Lafayette IN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2006

My husband and I vacationed here from June 7th through the 12th. We stayed in room #31 (Robert's Retreat). First of all, we arrived after hours, but Robert was there to greet us upon arrival (we gave him an estimate of our arrival time). We checked in quickly with no problems. We were surprised to find a large bowl of fresh fruit (canteloupe, apples, bananas, peaches, pears, grapes) as a welcome to our room.
We also found a bottle of orange juice in the fridge. The kitchen was well stocked with pretty much anything we needed; plenty of pots and pans, utensils, towels, potholders, dishes and dishsoap. There was a dishwasher, which we did not use for just the two of us. There was a full size fridge, stove, microwave, coffee maker, and toaster. Everything was clean and worked well. The bathroom was very clean....something I am very picky about. There was enough room for two of us. There is not a full bathtub which was fine for us but might make it difficult for families with toddlers who still take tub baths. The shower was clean with no mold or broken tiles. There was always plenty of hot water and great water pressure. There was plenty of drawer space for our belongings in the bathroom. It was also stocked with plenty of towels for the two of us. When we needed clean towels, we just set them out and the staff replaced them. A previous reviewer complained that they had to place the empty toilet paper roll outside to get a replacement. That is true, however, there is a spare roll in the bathroom so it's not like you would have to hold off on using the toilet until the roll was replaced. I think most resorts like this where there is not daily housekeeping follow the same procedures for towels and toilet paper. Not a big deal. We had no trouble with bugs in our room....a big change from our last vacation in Florida. There was a tv in the living area and one in the bedroom both with more channels than anyone could watch. There was plenty of drawer space and closet space (a large one in the living room and a small one in the corner of the bedroom). The air conditioning worked great and there was also a ceiling fan in the living area. There was a large dining table that could seat 4. We used it more as a desk for the laptop (no problems with the internet connection at all). We also rented beach chairs and an umbrella from the resort rather than rent from the supplier on the beach (cheaper at the resort). There were beach towels available in our room. We did not use the pool or spend much time in the common area because we enjoyed sitting on the beach so much. We did check out the grounds and everything was well cared for and clean. There is also a washer and dryer unit with a hanging clothes line behind some of the units at the resort. We did not use any of that so can't really say how well it worked. Robert was also kind enough to print off our boarding passes for our departing flight...something we were very gratefull for (anybody flying Southwest will understand why). The room was just the right size for the two of us and we decided that it would work well for an additional 2 more people. Anything beyond that would be crowded. The couch does fold out as a bed but we didn't try it out for comfort. We liked that all rooms were ground floor. We would definately stay at Captiva again. In addition to the resort being so clean and well equipped, it was close to the beach with a private access for residents of a group of resorts on Sarasea Circle. Others included were Sea Club V, Conclare, Tropical Sun and Tropical Shores, Sara Sea and Capri International. A few of these places were undergoing serious remodels during our stay. They all looked like nice places to stay but I didn't see the insides of the rooms. The sand on the beach was even better than we imagined. The resort is located on the southern portion of Siesta Key and appears to have more landscaping than the northern portion and seems more private. Siesta Key Village and the larger resorts/condos are to the north and is more of a business district along with the public beach area. We prefer the more private and secluded area than the Siesta Key Village area. We spent hours walking along the shore collecting shells. The gulf water was a gorgeous blue and the sunsets were incredible. We also spotted a dolphin swimming along the coast on more than one occasion. We would choose this beach over any other in Florida. There were plenty of places to eat on Siesta Key as well. We enjoyed breakfast at The Broken Egg and the Village Cafe. We also ate dinner at The Old Salty Dog and at Captain Curt's. Both places were good. There are several restaraunts on 41 as well. Most of these places are national chains if you aren't in the mood for local flavor. There are grocery stores on Siesta Key but we didn't shop there. There are also grocery stores along 41/Tamiami Tr. I can't stress enough how impressed we were with the area and with Captiva Resort. Robert has a well managed and friendly staff. There are rules at the resort, but I wouldn't stay at a place that didn't have these rules. We are dreaming of the day we can return! Thanks to Robert and the Captiva staff for providing us with a wonderful, relaxing, much needed vacation!

• Stayed June 2006
Johnson City, Tennessee
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

First let me say that the beaches on Siesta Key are beautiful. White soft sands with beautiful water. We found Siesta Key as a whole to be very remote. Very few restaurants, and very few things to do. The hotel Captiva Beach Resort was clean. The innkeepers were nice as well. However the rooms were outdated and very, very small. I think I could lay in bed and touch one wall to the other. The walls were so thin, we could hear the man next door snore all night. In fact it was so loud, it keep us up. No maid service and if you wanted additional towels, you had to lay your used towels outside the night before. Clean towels would come the next day. The really "cheap" ordeal of the hotel was the toilet tissue. Once a roll was used to get another you had to put the cardboard center outside with the used towels to get a new roll. Only then would a replacement roll be given. My husband and I have traveled alot and would not go back to this hotel again. We felt like we stepped back to the '70's. Sorry!

Stayed April 2005
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2005

Captiva Beach Resort met all of our expectations and we will certainly recommend this lovely spot of Florida to our friends and family. What you need to know:

-CLEAN. By far one of the cleanest accommodations we have ever had.
-FRIENDLY. Robert and Linda are there to make sure you have a wonderful holiday.
-LOVELY. If you don't believe us, check out our pictures.
-CONVENIENT. Within walking distance of restaurants, rentals, grocery stores, drug stores, specialty shops, and liquor store (margaritas anyone?)!
-SIESTA BEACH...awaits you. Captiva is located on a private beach. Beautiful sunsets, fabulous blue skies, and spectacular white sand.

So when you head to the Siesta Keys, make sure you choose the Captiva Beach Resort as your destination.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Captiva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!