“Booking.com error” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Siesta Key
St. John's, Canada
“Booking.com error”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Actually, we have yet to visit Captiva Beach Resort, but, after reading reviews by other recent guests about trouble with their reservations, I decided to call Captiva Beach Resort to confirm our two night/two bedroom suite booking for May 10th. As it turns out, booking.com booked us into an alternate room, one with two queens and a sofa bed. I spoke with the manager, Sandy, who was extremely helpful and pleasant and she apologized for the error but said it sometimes happens when reservations are made through a third party. She has rectified the situation by giving us two rooms, both with queen beds, for the same original price of the two bedroom suite. Seems to me the cautionary note is to be wary of using booking.com. As for the manager, she was anything but rude when speaking with me.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
CaptivaBeachResort, Manager at Captiva Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 5, 2015
Kim P Thank you for you review. Yes, sometimes third parties do not give correct room information. We are glad we were able to compensate for the rooms and you were satisfied with the result. We hope to see you return to Captiva in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Clay, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

My family has been vacationing in Siesta Key for 12 years. Most hotels require a one week and we like to go for 9 days so we will book a hotel for 2 nights and then stay in our beach front room for the following week.

My wife, daughter, mother in law and I stayed at the Captiva for 2 nights in one room and my brother and his wife and mother in law stayed in another. Firstly, the room we booked online stated it had a queen bed and queen sleeper in the room. They were full sized beds, not queens so the website is advertising rooms that don't exist. However, we were charged for a room with 2 queen beds when we made our initial deposit and we had to point out that the room we booked was not what we were placed in and that we paid more than we should have. Nobody pointed this out to us, and I am sure had we not said anything we would have been charged the rate for a room with 2 queen beds.

There was a wedding party staying at the hotel the same time that we were. When I went to the office to complain that we did not get a room with 2 queen beds they also informed us that they showed us only staying for one night. They also informed my brother and his wife of this, after they had paid in full for 2 nights online! I showed them my receipt and said we booked for 2 nights, we have nowhere else to go and they needed to figure it out. My brother was told by Sandy the manager "you do realize you have to leave your room after the first night"! Not, I apologize but we made a mistake, or we will work out something for you. No, you have to move. Luckily then were able to get a room for a night elsewhere as they were treated so rudely they didn't want to stay there even if they found them a room.

Finally after we checked out, no sooner were we out the door then they ushered a family of 5 into the same room- with two full sized beds advertised as queen beds- without changing sheets or cleaning it. Just walked them right in. I sat in the car and watched this and then got out and informed the family who were checking into the room.

I am a licensed real estate agent in New York and I pride myself on customer service and treating my clients and customers with respect. What the Captiva did was unethical, and I would never recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Nello M Thank you for sharing your review. We apologize for the issues you and your family had. A suggestion would be to book directly with the hotel to be sure you are getting exactly what you want. We again very sorry to hear of your experience and would like to correct your outlook of Captiva. Perhaps, in the future you will give us another chance.
Clay, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2014

Manager on site is very rude. There was a confirmation booking conflict that was Captiva's error, and tracking the manager down for the two days we did stay here was ridiculous. They crammed four people in a one double bed, pull out sofa. We did not get the room we booked and had to argue the price we were being charged. Also requested extra pillows, blankets or towels three times and never received. Leaving the next day, as we pulled out of our parking spot; we watch housekeeping go in our room and empty the garbage and then let the new guests in. They didn't clean the sheets, bathrooms. Gross!! Sandy, the manager was very unprofessional, she raised her voice at us and was frustrating to deal with. She didn't want to be bothered. Overpriced, not worth it. Plenty of other spots on Siesta Key to stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Catherine M Thank you for sharing your review. We are very sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to state, because this is the second review that remarked seeing guests going into the rooms before they have been cleaned. A lot of guests A. Need to change into swimsuits so they can enjoy the beach while they wait for their room to be cleaned B. Have food that needs to be refrigerated. Again, we apologize for the issues you had during your stay.
Oceanside, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2014 via mobile

All was so confusing until we were introduced to a fun character called the big show. Big show came to us walked us around the facilty unlocked our rooms showed us were the pool and restrooms are, and all around fun and helpful person. It was not till the middle of our trip were we met her husband side show who was even more helpful even thought he doesn't work at the hotel. With a great outside staff who could match the niceness and beauty of the front desk women eryn, she helped with the day to day planing of activities and really makes you feel at home. This was one of the best trips and would defiantly recommend coming again.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Chesko B Thank you for sharing your review. We appreciate the wonderful compliments about our staff. Everyone at Captiva do their best to ensure guests have a comfortable and enjoyable time. We look forward to your stay with us in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2014

Big Show, Side Show and Erin were the most helpful, kind people to be greeted when we first arrived. Anything we needed all we had to do was ask. We like to come to Florida once a year and we will always stay here. Also you are few steps away from the beautiful siesta key beach!!! Great job to the staff for making our stay so peaceful. We will be coming back to Captiva for sure!!!

• Stayed March 2014
SillyJillyy Thank you for your review. We are so happy you enjoyed your stay and the staff was very accommodating. Will greatly look forward to your stay with Captiva again.
Newark
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

This is NOT a resort. Its a small motel 1/4 mile from the beach. Our room was VERY small and very old. They are doing a major renovation and the new rooms look very nice, but still small.
Staff was very nice and we did get a reduction in our bill due to construction (workers started at 7:30 am.) and all the mess we had to walk around and look at. There are around 10 motels that share the swimming pool, beach and a nice little park in the center of the compound.

Room Tip: Call and ask if the renovation is TOTALLY done.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2014

So, I have stayed on Sara Sea Circle three times before (all times at The Capri) and when I wanted to bring my family to this area to show them where my fiance and I wanted to get married, The Capri was booked. So we booked at The Captiva. WHOOPS! The grounds and buildings are being renovated - which I get is a necessity and I'm glad for them, but NO WHERE this was happening when the reservations were being made. Yes, they accomodated one of our requests for an additional room and yes, they were understanding when we checked out about half an hour late. But the rooms are outdated & small (the bathrooms are laughable with how small they are) and the pillows are cheap (the mattress was lovely though!). There are so many other inns to choose from on Sara Sea Circle that until I see MAJOR AND VAST improvements from The Captiva, I would never stay here again and I definietely will not be recommending this location for my wedding guests. Again, the pros were the rooms were clean, the staff was helpful, and the actual location (in relation to the beach) is lovely.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
3.0 of 5 stars 353 reviews
Sea Spray Resort on Siesta Key
Turtle Beach Resort Siesta Key
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

Been to Captiva Beach Resort? Share your experiences!