“A Nice Hampton” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Nice Hampton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Bee Ridge Hampton in June for 5 days on a small vacation. The hotel is very convenient to things in Sarasota. You're right on Rt 75, so it's abount an hour to the Tampa Airport, 20 mins to Venice, 15 mins to the Siesta Key beaches. The area around the hotel has restaurants and stores, both within walking distance. Our room was nice; big flat-screen TV, neat view of a little pond behind the hotel, clean roomy bathroom, nice king bed. The free breakfast was one of the better ones we've had at a Hampton; there was plenty of food and room to sit. The staff was friendly and knowledgable...they went out of their way to help us with directions and advice. They had a "reception" everyday with wine, beer, and snacks. That was a nice touch.
The only downside with our experiance is a very small one. The chair at the table in our room was stained and didn't raise high enough to make using the table practical. It wasn't a big deal, but I could see if you were trying to use the table for business stuff it may be an issue. Again, this was a very insignificant concern.
Our room was quiet and cleaned well each day. They provided a copy of USA Today at our door each morning. Finally, we paid a very fair price for the daily room rate relative to the options we had in the Sarasota area.
We would definately stay at the Bee Ridge Hamption again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the hall are quieter
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Sarasota, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Excellent service at the front desk when we arrived an hour early. Room was CLEAN and the air was on when we entered the room. They also have a PUR air filter running which we felt was useful for a very busy hotel. Great stay for a night at a great price. Skipped the breakfast since we were meeting friends on Siesta Key. Looked good, though.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
SRQGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Sarasota - I-75 Bee Ridge, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Hello Vicki6775,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your recent stay with the Hampton Inn Sarasota on TripAdvisor. We are happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us and would come back. Look forward to having you back with us. Kind Regards.
Gainesville, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

While traveling on business, I reserved a room at this conveniently located lodging for one night--but daytime setbacks had me returning as a walk-in for an additional night and then another. My first night was a week night, of course, but my work stretched to the weekend. The staff found a place for me among the vacationing families. The only squeeze was in the parking lot which filled with boat-trailers and large vehicles of leisure travelers on the weekend. Although the property is not the newest and is immediately alongside I-75, the rooms are clean and quiet. The self-served breakfast, especially for early risers, offers plenty of choices, and (for those for whom it is important) there is a newly-opened Starbucks just across the road as well as a fine hospital (Doctors of Sarasota), supermarket, pharmacy, and several small cafes and restaurants. This hotel offers a quiet place to stop for rest and renewal, whatever your reasons to be in the area--and a genuinely helpful staff, too.

Room Tip: The top floor (5th) is quiet but immediately under a hot flat roof and the room can warm up quickly.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Hello Bokononer,

Thank your for your recent comments on Tripadvisor about your stay with us at the Hampton Inn Sarasota. We are glad to see that you enjoyed your experience and we are all quite happy about the New Starbucks directly across the street from us. We will be sure to share your comments with our staff. Thanks again.
Orlando, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Making last-minute plans to travel from north Orlando area over to Florida's west coast for a beach day (or two) over the recent Memorial Day Weekend, we found choices VERY limited and opted for the Bee Ridge location for price and (fairly) close proximity to beaches - 8 miles or so and to a major highway (I-75 is just outside the door).

As always, I scoured the Trip Advisor reviews before settling on this property, taking into consideration the mixed feedback.

Turns out, the feedback is (as always) spot-on! Thanks, fellow TA reviewers! :) Our first encounter with hotel staff was a luke-warm woman at the front desk. We arrived early Sunday AM, and wanted to let the hotel know we were in the area and would check in later in the day. "You wanna do what?!" was the question she gave us - with a bit of a scowl and a confused look. I chalked it up to a busy holiday weekend and gave her my biggest smile...she softened a bit. **Her afternoon counterpart, a young man, was quite the opposite: sharp, efficient, friendly, and accommodating.

Hallways are not air conditioned: hot, humid, musty. Carpets felt/looked dirty and worn (in rooms and hallways).

Pool was a comfortable temp (even for this FL native!), but the windy day resulted in LOTS of leaves in the water.

Breakfast was underwhelming, with only carbo-loaded items available - not so good for diabetic travelers. Fellow guests were commenting that they had been waiting for eggs to be replaced 'for quite a while.' We went to Yoder's instead - a few miles away and yummy!! (separate review coming soon...)

Evening cookies were snatched up quickly... no chance for those. Yes, we would each have liked one.

For the first time ever, I did not request a quiet location within the hotel and we ended up 10 feet from an elevator, which was a problem at 1:30 AM. Screaming children.

Our request for additional towels was immediately fulfilled. *Thank you!

Also for the first time ever, the bed was definitely a MISS. First words out of husband's mouth in the morning (before opening eyes!): Worst.Bed.Ever. I found it okay, but I like my bed firm. He called it 'hard as a rock.' Pillows were soft, squishy, and you needed at least three to make one.

We wouldn't stay at this property again and wouldn't recommend it to family/friends, unless for a quick overnight and only with full disclosure.

To end on a positive note: Starbucks directly across the street and a Publix Grocery, too.

Room Tip: Stay away from elevators. Run a/c constantly to maintain comfort level and deaden the hallway noise.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
SRQGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Sarasota - I-75 Bee Ridge, responded to this review, June 4, 2012
Hello RobinLK,

Thank you for taking time to review the Hampton Inn Sarasota on your recent trip to Sarasota. We are sorry and disappointed that your stay did not live up to your expectations, as we take extreme pride to satisfy all of our guests. We hope you give the hotel another shot as we are hearing great comments from most of our guests about our new lobby, cleanliness of our rooms, and customer service and are hoping your experience with us was out of the norm. We will truly share your comments with our staff and use these for ongoing training purposes. Hope that we have the opportunity to re earn your Loyalty. Kind Regards.
Sunrise, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

We stayed at this hotel just for one night and here were our observances...

The hotel was well kept and clean. Our room was ready for us upon our early arrival (around 230p) and was clean. The bed/pillows were quite comfortable and we were happily surprised by the more modern look of the room (i.e. flat-screen tv, granite shower and bathroom countertop, new electronic AC thermostat, etc.). The breakfast was better than expected and included eggs, sausage, make-your-own waffles, oatmeal, bagels, dry cereal, juices, coffee and tea. Staff was constantly cleaning off surrounding tables and re-filling items that started to get low.

If I had to note cons to the hotel, it would be difficult and I would really have to be obsessive. However, the room phone's "front desk" button did not work properly (that is to say, it wouldnt contact the front desk at all) and at night the neighboring Ale House customers sometimes use the hotel's parking lot. However, this was Memorial day weekend and ample, close parking was still available to the hotel.

All-in-all, the stay was very pleasant and the price was reasonable. We would both stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Hello Venis3,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback on your recent stay at the Hampton Inn Sarasota I75 Bee Ridge. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and that the hotel met your satisfaction. Thanks for spreading the word for others to see. Hope your travels find you back in Sarasota soon. Regards.
Coral Springs, Fl
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

We travel to this area a few times a year for business and enjoy staying at this hotel. The rooms are clean and the on-site breakfast and coffee are very convenient and well maintained. It is always a nice touch to come back to the hotel at night and have fresh cookies too! As another reviewer mentioned, we too had a less than pleasant experience with the manager when we arrived a bit earlier than the 3pm check-in. We understood that we were early and were fine with waiting for the room but, she was not welcoming or pleasant and made it seem like it was a 'burden' to help us.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

I stay at this hotel at least twice a year and stay in their "allergy friendly" room. I have seen a steady decline in room cleanliness, breakfast quality, and overall atmosphere. Each time I say I will not stay there again, but I think maybe it has gotten better since the last time. Definitely will not be staying there any longer. I will try the Hampton on University Ave. It is newer and perhaps will be better.

My room on this trip was dirty on check in. There were used toothpicks in several places, so you know they didn't vacuum. The task chair at the desk has some food smear into the back of the chair as well as on the seat. There was a lot, not just a small amount. I called downstairs and they replaced the chair because it couldn't be wiped off. There was mold on the caulking around the tub in the bathroom. And I repeat, I paid more for an Allergy Friendly room. I have sinus issues, so I cannot confirm this next complaint, but my husband and daughter will. The bathroom floor emitted a strong odor of urine.

They don't run the a/c in the halls very often, so be prepared to face hot humid hallways everytime you leave your room. The carpets aren't very clean, ground in dirt and spots, and they contribute to an overall dingyness.

The breakfast buffet is terrible. I think the staff does not want to be bothered with presenting food that is at least edible. The oatmeal was runny and tepid. It would be something that would remind you of prison food, only I think they get better than this. Eggs also are watery and they don't keep their main items very well stocked. I've seen other guests eating McDonald's in the breakfast area, so we weren't the only ones unhappy with the quality/selection. We ended up eating out most of the time for breakfast during our 4 day stay.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
SRQGM, General Manager at Hampton Inn Sarasota - I-75 Bee Ridge, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Dear Jcpeach,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Hampton Inn. We truly apologize for the unfortunate experience with your stay and want to assure you that this is not the norm. Hotel staff and management inspect guest rooms to meet the strict cleanliness criteria set by both the hotel and the brand. We will most certainly take your comments to our staff and use this for further training opportunites. We'd like to speak with you in more detail about your experience and make this right. Please reach out to our General Manager, Janet Moussa at janet.moussa@hilton.com. We'd really like the opportunity to re earn your loyalty and trust as a Hampton Inn guest.

Been to Hampton Inn Sarasota - I-75 Bee Ridge? Share your experiences!