We have been going to the Sandcastle for several decades, a fact the hotel management seem unaware of. Indeed, they seem unaware that anyone ever comes back. I suppose they get all the trade they want without encouraging or recognising repeat visits (The Constantinou brothers running hotels in Cyprus sent us Christmas cards for years after we visited with their latest info and rates in) It is impossible to book a specific room – you just have to take pot luck and argue if you don’t like it.
The hotel has recently changed hands – it was previously owned by Leona “only little people pay taxes” Helmsley for almost the whole time we have been staying there. What makes this hotel very special is that it is on the beach - literally. It’s such a good position that we bought a time share a few buildings along the road.
The restaurant encourages you to have the buffet breakfast which his fine is you want a full breakfast – only scrambled eggs, no fried, poached etc. The rooms all have fridges and we usually have our own cereal and milk breakfast and a salad lunch in the room. There is a good coffee maker in the room. The food service round the pool is ordered from the bar. Its not always efficient – we waited 45 minutes for a burger.
The rooms are rather tired and in need of TLC but basically sound. They need a much better cleaning regime. Beach recliners and Wifi are included in the $25 a day Resort Fee they levy on top of the room cost - shameful.
St Armand’s Circle is a few minutes drive away, Publix supermarket a nice 10 minutes drive along Longboat Key.
Will we be back? Oh yes.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tropical paradise at the Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach in Sarasota, FloridaSandcastle Resort at Lido Beach has a relaxing sunny resort flavor, with a storybook seaside setting on a 600 foot strand of private, natural white sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico.Sun. Sand. Swaying Palm Trees. And Great Service, Too. You'll be treated to thoughtful touches, such as a morning newspaper and a small refrigerator for chilling beverages and snacks. Free wifi is also available throughout the property. Plus the pleasures of outdoor dining for both breakfast and lunch are virtually right outside your door. What's more, our recreation staff can provide personalized sailing lessons. There's a convenient Gift Shop on premises and we're within easy walking distance of popular St. Armands Circle, with its fine shopping and entertainment attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Priceline, getaroom.com, Agoda, Hotels.com and Booking.com so you can book your Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helmsley Sandcastle Sarasota
- Sarasota Helmsley Sandcastle
- Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel Sarasota