I researched the area extensively before deciding to stay at Sandcastle Resort. I knew it had some bad reviews, but the style of the hotel was too tempting with the beach so close and the pool in close proximity, along with the tiki bar so close by. I'm giving the review three stars because the beach is beautiful, and some of the staff was awesome. Particularly, the beach staff (Forrest) was super nice and the bartenders (Brook) also very nice! The drinks were good and priced at around $7.00 which isn't too bad considering I've been to higher end hotels and paid twice that much. The hotel is somewhat outdated and old, and I think that's part of the problem. Some updates need to be done. We had a problem with the AC in our room. Fortunately, it was working a little, but not perfect. We called the front desk and spoke to Brian who was not helpful and had a terrible attitude. They were not able to switch us to a new room because they were booked full. When I checked out the next day, the woman who helped me was extremely nice. I wish I could remember her name. She offered to credit me the resort fee for both rooms I had booked which was a $50 credit because of the AC problem. I was very appreciative of that. It's nice when the staff actually listens and seems to care about your issue and not dismissing it way Brian did the night before. We were told by the maintenance person that the AC was working to maximum potential and there was nothing he could do. For that reason we most likely would not stay here again. As much as we liked most of the staff, not knowing if your room will be comfortable is just too much of a gamble especially when you are paying $229.00 a night, plus a resort fee on top of that. In my opinion, that is way overpriced, but they are getting people to pay it so I don't foresee it changing due to that.
I've read lots of reviews that talk about new owners, and how great the old owners were as well as the staff that used to be there. All the newer reviews do not seem to be so glowing.
Pros: Location and beach are beautiful, some great staff, food was good and drinks were good
Cons: Outdated, a little dirty in places, AC not working the greatest in either of the rooms and some staff very rude.
Likelihood of staying here again: Not likely
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A tropical paradise at the Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach in Sarasota, FloridaSandcastle Resort at Lido Beach has a relaxing sunny resort flavor, with a storybook seaside setting on a 600 foot strand of private, natural white sand beach on the Gulf of Mexico.Sun. Sand. Swaying Palm Trees. And Great Service, Too. You'll be treated to thoughtful touches, such as a morning newspaper and a small refrigerator for chilling beverages and snacks. Free wifi is also available throughout the property. Plus the pleasures of outdoor dining for both breakfast and lunch are virtually right outside your door. What's more, our recreation staff can provide personalized sailing lessons. There's a convenient Gift Shop on premises and we're within easy walking distance of popular St. Armands Circle, with its fine shopping and entertainment attractions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, Agoda, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Helmsley Sandcastle Sarasota
- Sarasota Helmsley Sandcastle
- Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel Sarasota