“loved the beach” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

You added Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach to your Saves list
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1540 Ben Franklin Dr, Sarasota, FL 34236 (Formerly Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel)   |
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in Sarasota
Dayton, Ohio
“loved the beach”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Front desk clerks not very friendly, got more info from one of the houseman. Rooms are just OK, nothing special for the high rate. Pools are nice but both were warm on the 90 degree days of our stay, would prefer cooler water to refresh.
Hotel has several bikes to use...only you have to pay 25 bucks if you want to ride with your family, that allow you one bike and have to rent another.. silly when 10 are sitting there all day.
They also close the pool too early..the place is dead quiet in evenings.
Loved the bungolos on the beach and the water was awesome.

Room Tip: 2nd floor beachfront
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Eddie S, General Manager at Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
I am disappointed to read, and do apologize for, our front desk not being friendly during your time with us. We do not want that type of presentation at our resort. It has been addressed with the front desk staff.

The 3-hour use of the bikes is part of the resort fee, which includes other amenities throughout the resort: in-room bottled water, in-room coffee, free internet access, patio games, shuttle to St Armands Circle, beach chairs, towels- these are some of the items within the resort fee.

Please contact me if you would like to discuss further. Again, my apologies an I do hope you return to the resort.

Eddie S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (272)
Greensboro, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

nWe have been coming here for YEARS! No its not a high class hotel,... Its dated and needs many things changed. But money can not replace a warm, caring place you called home for so many years! New owners came in and of course its all about MONEY!!!!! They could careless what you think, they even said, once the old regulars move on, the new people wont even notice the difference and we have that taken care of! Guess what, you are going to lose about 35 regular families that spent money there. Yeah, the "new" pool chairs are used and moved down from another place they bought! And you are also getting the used room furniture in your room from the place they bought too! So look real close cause you are charged a 25 a day resort fee, for crap that use to come free with a real person who knew you can cared about seeing you, also hidden 35 a day charge just in case you charge to your room, they give that back, but dont tell you, so your credit card takes a HUGE hit, it takes about 4 days for it to show back up. You can forget friendly staff, nope not here gone when the new owners came. I dont really care to hear we are sorry you feel this way, we are looking into this. No you are justing saying that and keeping the money rolling in. HONESTLY I could not work for this company or be the CEO of this place and lay my head down at night and sleep. sad times!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Eddie S, General Manager at Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
I have read your review, and although we do appreciate the business, I find it somewhat concerning on a few counts. I have never made a comment regarding regulars moving on, nor has anyone in the company that I have spoken with made that type of comment. On the contrary, I spent a good amount of time talking with long term guests and working on planning their next trip.
The pool deck furniture has been changed out; no matter where it has come from we are trying to improve the resort.
Regarding the $35 charge, that is for incidentals (items you may purchase while on the resort property in the restaurant, pool bar, gift shop, Room Service), it is not hidden and is explained at check in.
Regarding the resort fee: we have purchased 50 new umbrellas for the beach, 20 for the pool, added new games and activities for the pool & beach, purchased 8 new bikes- that you can take out for 3 hours, wireless is now free- there is no internet kiosk with a charge, local, toll free and credit card calls are now free and there is a shuttle to take guest to and from St. Armands. These are just some of the items (not all) that are included in the resort fee. I do feel the word "crap" is not how I would describe these items.
I am sorry you feel this way about the Sandcastle Resort, but we are trying to improve the product and the service for our guests.

Cocoa Beach, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We made the reservation for July in Jan with a confirmation price. When we checked out, it was $56 more than the confirmation. I know the hotel switched ownership, but the original price should be honored. I emailed them on July 8, but never heard anything back. The $25 resort fee should definitely be returned for July 6 since they refused umbrellas and lounge chairs until guests complained. No one ever did get umbrellas that day. I don’t mind the tired look of the place, we knew that when we booked it. I just think charging more once the reservation is made is not right.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

It was a hastle at first since my mother in law works at an affiliated location and they couldnt send over the credit card authorization, but we didnt arrive to the resort until later in the evening but it was a view of the perfect sunset, rooms were clean, and we went to the restaurant and the food was outstanding. We were right near the pool, so unfortunately we didnt get to sleep in because of children enjoying their vacation, but that was okay. We got room service for breakfast and that was really wonderful. I would totally go back to this place. Parking was great as well. A nice, romantic getaway!

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for visiting us at the Sandcastle Resort. I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable experience. I will pass along to the various departments your comments regarding your stay.

Please let me know if I can be of any assistance in the future if you are planning another getaway.

oswaldtwistle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Our beach front room had the most amazing view from the balcony shame that we had smokers at either side of us as it though. Room very tired and not as clean as we would have liked. WiFi rubbish. On leaving we were given a bill with an extra $25 +tax PER DAY,this was a huge extra expense that we were not aware of and when we questioned it we were told that it is a resort charge. Be aware that if you leave something in your room and go back for it if the room has been cleaned you will NOT get it back. I left a favourite necklace and was told that if it was found they could post it to me. Couldn't understand why they would not get check with housekeeping for me

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
The resort fee should have been explained to you upon check-in; I apologize if it wasn't. The resort fee includes: in-room bottled, water, in-room coffee, patio games, beach games, use of lobby business center, shuttle to St. Armands Circle, free parking, free local, credit card & toll free calls, bicycle use, free wifi,beach chairs & umbrellas.

Regarding your necklace, would you please send me a description of it and I will search our lost & found. My email is: eddie.sipple@sandcastlelidobeach.com.

Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

This is an older property and the rooms aren't as lush but who goes to the beach to sit in the room? Perfect beach location! They offer complimentary beach towels, chairs umbrellas, paddle boards, noodles, bikes....the list goes on and on! The staff said we will do whatever it takes to make you happy!! and they did, Colin at the pool made sure we had an umbrella when all other tables were full. The pool is so large so its not overcrowded and the live music was spot on playing a variety of songs. The shuttle drivers were also very accommodating taking us back and forth to St. Armonds Circle. Breakfast was plentiful and delicious!

Room Tip: Rooms were very quiet, they do have rooms that overlook ocean and have balconies, lower units have s...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us at the Sandcastle Resort; we do appreciate the business. I will pass along to Colin your comments regarding his hospitality. He does a very good job on at the pool & beach.

I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us, and hope you visit again.

Panama, Republic of Panama
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were really looking forward to a stay on the beach, but was deeply disappointed. The hotel is terribly overpriced for the room we got, which aside from the room being old, tired, dark and small, we were given a room next to the kitchen! It was so bad, we checked out early the next day and looked for another place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the resort in June. We are working on improving the look of the resort. I would like for you to give us another chance. Please email or give me a call if I can be of assistance and have you return.

Eddie S.

Been to Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach? Share your experiences!