“Not a good experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

Save Saved
You added Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach to your Saves list
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1540 Ben Franklin Dr, Sarasota, FL 34236 (Formerly Helmsley Sandcastle Hotel)   |
Ranked #29 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Panama, Republic of Panama
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

We were really looking forward to a stay on the beach, but was deeply disappointed. The hotel is terribly overpriced for the room we got, which aside from the room being old, tired, dark and small, we were given a room next to the kitchen! It was so bad, we checked out early the next day and looked for another place.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Eddie S, General Manager at Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach, responded to this review, August 18, 2014
I am sorry to hear of your disappointment with the resort in June. We are working on improving the look of the resort. I would like for you to give us another chance. Please email or give me a call if I can be of assistance and have you return.

Eddie S.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (235)
Doha, Qatar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

The hotel was clean but looked somewhat tired. I object to the hire resort fee and felt it was quite expensive for the stay.
The wait to check was at least 20 minutes as there was only one person on the desk. There were no lifts so had to drag suitcases upstairs.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Eddie S, General Manager at Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach, responded to this review, August 5, 2014
Thank you for the comments regarding your stay at the Sandcastle Resort. I do apologize for the wait at the desk; it should not take that long to check in. We do have 2 elevators on property; one for the 4-story building and 1 directly off the lobby. We also have bellmen (or any of our other associates) available to help you with your luggage should you so desire.

Thank you for the business and we hope you do return.

Preston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed here on 6/7th July for a wedding which was on Holmes beach, based on other reviews we decided to be open minded, from checking in to leaving we were disappointed, management/ check in staff do not have care in the world and were more bothered about taking our card details for payment. Was not informed of the $25 a night resort fee until we confirmed our booking :( this fee was for wi fi that didn't work and water which we never received either night. We queried this on check out to be told you get charged this whether you get or want these facilities
I took a shower in the smallest bathroom we have ever been in,placed my clothes on the side of the sink only to come to pick them up covered in bleach,
Breakfast was far to over priced and luke warm for 4 of us was about $60
Opening your room door was like stepping back into the 60s all flowers on curtains, bed covers and pictures( not good)
Now for the only good point, I never seen a sunset like we did on both nights, if you decide to stay here please please book a gulf view, more money but it's worth the view THATS ALL
Our stay cost us $568 definitely not worth this amount

Stayed July 2014
Eddie S, General Manager at Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for the comments regarding your stay at the Sandcastle. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations in our product nor our service.

We are working to make changes at the property in both the product and service areas, so that these types of experiences do not happen.

I do apologize for your experience. If you would like to return (or just want to share more of your experience), please give me a call.

Dallas, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

The rooms were awful looking ...old ..the bathroom was too small, outdated and pathetic. The building and rooms appeared to be built in 1930's...the beds were so hard until I could hardly sleep at night. The best part of this hotel was the outdoor pool chairs and breakfast. After paying resort fees the breakfast should have been free. Beware ,,,you will be charged a resort fee of $25.00 per day, plus all the other taxes and fees which adds an additional $100. If you are looking for a romantic place this is not it. The water smells awful...please do not drink the water..this place looks like the old motel 6 of yesterday.

Room Tip: Upstairs beach view is better. Don't choose the courtyard view because it is way too dark at nig...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
I have reviewed the comments regarding your stay here at the Sandcastle. I apologize for the dissatisfaction with your stay.

We are working to upgrade the property in different areas through the summer months; hoping to update our product as much as possible and deliver a positive experience to our guests.

Again, I do apologize for your experience while staying with us.

Savannah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

My family and I have been visiting the Sandcastle for nearly twenty years. We truly loved the Helmsley Sandcastle. Because we came each year we knew many of those who worked at various levels and capacities. In fact, that was one aspect we loved--the friendliness of literally everyone who worked there. When we called to book our rooms for this years' visit, we found that it had been sold to new management and the rates had skyrocketed--way beyond what we could spend per night. We were devastated.

We found another location for our visit to the area. One morning we decided to have breakfast at the Sandcastle in hopes of seeing some of our friends. We entered the lobby--not one familiar face behind the registration desk. The one new person there, briefly raised her head and said, "Welcome." Once we left the lobby to reach the restaurant our eyes were almost visually assaulted. The lovely white and pink tables and umbrellas around the pool were replaced with BROWN chaise lounges-several rows deep. And it was easily apparent that the lounges were not new. Our guess is that they are discards from another property. The pleasant, always friendly and smiling restaurant manager, was replaced by a man who never made contact with any customer and never smiled. We saw three wait staff we knew. One had been relegated to the cash register, and although did not say so, appeared very unhappy. One other acknowledged us, but didn't appear comfortable stopping for a short conversation. (The restaurant was not busy.) One of my family members walked down to the beach and saw another familiar face. Again, nothing directly stated, but totally understood why we weren't staying.

So many people gone. Friendliness replaced with guarded spoken words. Light, airy, colors replaced with darkness. Tolerable rates raised to exorbitant levels. Rooms needing TLC--not touched. Leona Helmsley's wedding gift from her husband--virtually unrecognizable. So sad.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
I have reads the comments regarding your stay here at the Sandcastle and feel very badly about your experience. Being such a loyal guest, I would want you to have the same memorable experience you have been accustomed to when visiting the resort.

I do hope you plan to return. If I can be of assistance in any way, please call or email me. Again, I apologize for our lapses in service; both when calling the resort as well as when you were here.

Sarasota, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Stayed here for the boat races on July 5th paid $300 for room and then on Sunday were told by front desk we were not allowed on resort without wristband. People in front desk were rude and nasty, I know its a management change but they are totally not winning any new or future guests this way!!

Stayed July 2014
I have read your comments and feel badly of the impression you have of the resort. Although your comments do not reflect it, we are trying to create a welcoming atmosphere here at the Sandcastle.

We will take your comments and address them one by one. We do not want to be known as unwelcoming nor unfriendly. Thank you for the feedback and we will work to correct the issues you pointed out to us.

Miramar, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Recently our family get away at Sandcastle turn out to a nightmare, I booked thru Expedia, paid $245+ For a beach view in which call a resort on 6/24 for one night family get away. Thru the website the room look so nice, we were so disappointed as the minute we got there. The "RESORT" is so old, look more like a MOTEL to me, check in our room had STAIN on the wall, room had BUGS, and smell like they just spray roaches, I immediately inform the front desk, get an answer : We will send someone take care the problem right away. NOTHING result, we can't even have a good night sleep because we found more problem, TERMITES in the blanket. The next morning when check out, made a complain to the Manager on duty "Matt" he offered waive $25, resort fee, dinner and the breakfast tap ( which is only a little bit over $100), Won't prefer anyone to that place, Expedia lost me as a customer also, I'm not satisfied with the come out

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Eddie S, General Manager at Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach, responded to this review, July 10, 2014
I want to apologize for the experience you had while staying at the Sandcastle Resort. Your comments have been reviewed and addressed by our Housekeeping and Maintenance staffs. We take all comments seriously, and will work to deliver a product guests expect to receive.

Again, my apologies for your experience.

Eddie S.

Been to Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach? Share your experiences!