“Not As Good As Last Time - And More Expensive...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Choice Privileges Points
Ranked #36 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Rowlett, Texas
“Not As Good As Last Time - And More Expensive...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

I've stayed at this motel many times in the past on my visits to Saraota, because I have always received comfortable, clean accommodations at a very reasonable price. I just completed my most recent stay, after not having stayed here for a few months, and was somewhat disappointed compared to previous stays. No, this is not a bad place to stay. But it wasn't up to the same standard as it previously had been.

I arrived quite late - around 2:00am - with a reservation and, according to the desk clerk, had been pre-assigned a specific room. But when I tried my electronic key in the lock, the door wouldn't open. Turns out that the room was occupied by another guest, even though the hotel's computer system had shown the room to be vacant, according to the clerk who checked me in. The occupant of the room called the front desk to report an intruder, and the clerk explained what had happened. Fortunately, there was no harm done, but under different circumstances and with different people, things could have turned out a lot different - and dangerous, especially at that hour.

I was quickly reassigned a different, upgraded room that had a small kitchenette. The lighting in the kitchenette area didn't come on when the switch was flipped ... until about 15 minutes later, when the lights suddenly lit.

The bed was comfortable and the room was generally clean, but was at least one large ant crawling around in the tub. I plucked it out and eveything else was fine.

This is an older hotel - reminiscent of 60's/70's design that has been repainted and upgraded, and other than the things I noted about the room, the room was in decent shape. Bedding was clean and in good repair; bed was comfortable; room was quiet. I did sleep well.

My main concern was the price. For a number of years, the rates seemed to be kept at a certain level, but it seems in recent months that this hotel, the Comfort Inn next door, and the other Quality Inn (up the road a couple of miles) have all increased their rates by what appears to be 20-25%. At the old rates (mid $40 with discounts), this property was a good deal. With total rate + tax around $65, with an association discount, its only an average deal at best. The Knights Inn, nearby, is a very nice alternative and, I believe, its rates are now lower than this Quality Inn. While I wouldn't rule out this Quality Inn as a choice, I'd also check the Knights Inn as a comfortable alternative if price is an issue.

I would stay here again, as my previous experiences have all been good, and the problems I mentioned here may have simply been one-off incidents. But rather than being an excellent choice, I consider it now no better than "average" at its current price point.

Various discounts are available at the brand website, and the Choice Hotels family, of which Quality Inn is a brand, often run aggressive promotions that are worth checking in to.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Gm_Fl317, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Step12dude

Thank you for taking the time to complete our online survey regarding your stay at our hotel.

Unfortunately, as you noted, the price increases have been across the board in the hotel industry over the past few years. Though we do believe that given the choice, we are a great place to stay and the best value for the money.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience and make the next visit, even better than the last.

941-355-7091

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Orlando, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

If you need a Choice hotel near the airport go to Sleep Inn on University.
We stayed here on the weekend and were awakened all night long by noise.
shady characters sitting on car/truck hoods, hanging off balconies till early am.Lots of dogs on all floors. Have only been afraid once before in a "hotel". Scared to step outside here. Changed rooms upon arrival only to have same problem on other side of hotel. Call security? He would have to evict half the people. Laundry facilities broken. No
Sunday newspaper. Outside corridors filthy -overflowing- trash & needs powerwashing.Breakfast scanty. At least the Days Inn next door has iron gates. Nice housekeepers but not enough to do the job. Sunny Inc spend some money on this hotel or Choice should kick u out.

• Stayed July 2012
Dear Gourmetfair

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations. Since your stay with us, we have updated many of our hotel features and regulations. We are no longer pet friendly and have been extra vigilant to ensure that nobody is in the hotel or hotel parking lot that should not be here. We are a very safe hotel, with someone on staff 24-hours a day. Our laundry machines have all been replaced and are in perfect working order.

We have properly re-trained all of our housekeeping staff, maintenance and breakfast attendants to guarantee that they are providing the best service possible.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to provide you with a superior experience. Please feel free to call us anytime to discuss making a reservation so we can better accommodate you.

Kilkeel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I had read reviews prior to my stay and to be honest, wasn`t expecting much. However, having by this stage stayed in various Florida motels of mostly poor standards, I found this one to actually be quite good. Staff were chatty and welcoming. Room was very clean - a rarity in Florida motels, and the breakfast was easily the best `motel` one I had during my trip. Pool was clean too and very welcome in the 90 degree heat. No sign of the `ladies of the night` referred to in previous reviews - no matter how hard I looked ;-) Great base for the `Ringling Museum` and reasonably short driving distance to Siesta Key Beach - the most beautiful beach I have ever seen in my life - I`m 50 and a travel agent. All in all a good accommodation choice if travelling on the Tamiami Trail through Sarasota.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Dear, ColinKilkeel

We very much appreciate your kind words, it’s great to hear when someone enjoys our hotel as you have. We are very proud to be so closely located to both the Ringling Museum and the beautiful beaches that Sarasota has to offer and I’m so glad to hear you got to enjoy them both!

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to see you again next time you find yourself in the Sarasota area.

Guest Relations

2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012 via mobile

When we get there room look like it was meddile of controccion and smell a cigar. We have go to front desk and they change room for us this want was better but no frige. But good break fast and good location.

• Stayed May 2012
Dear Jsnow06,

Thank you for the kind words regarding our rooms and breakfast service. Since your last stay, we have upgraded our rooms so that now every room has a refrigerator and microwave.

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for the initial introduction to our hotel through a less than adequate room, though I am very happy to hear that was easily remedied. We have spoken with our housekeepers to ensure that they are properly trained to prevent something like that from happening to anyone else.

ontario
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2012

Frayed carpeting, a taped up fiberglass bath tub, and a family of baby spiders emerging from the telephone key pad. These are the offerings of the motel, yet the place was booked up. We left the very next morning.
On the plus side , the bed was clean and comfy and the man at the check in was pleasant enough.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Gm_Fl317, Guest Relations Manager at Quality Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear linnieOntario

On behalf of our entire team, I would like to apologize for failing to exceed your expectations at the time of your visit. Since you stayed with us, we have updated our rooms, including new carpeting and phone systems. We have spoken with maintenance to ensure that a situation as you experienced with the bathtubs is not to be experienced by anyone else.

I hope that you will consider staying with us again so that we can have another chance to prove ourselves and provide you with a Quality experience. Please feel free to call us and discuss making a reservation and how we can best accommodate your next vacation needs.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012 via mobile

Arrived at the hotel at 11:45pm and had to stand in the foyer as the lobby was locked. Handed my credit card and id through a slot (signal that this is a rather unsafe neighborhood). Didn't get into my room till 12:30 because there was a man in front of me who had to go through his wallet to find a credit card as they don't take cash after 111pm. If I didn't have a reservation that couldn't be cancelled, I would have left immediately. Got to the room which had a stale mildew smell but was okay for how tired I was. I won't be going back to this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
Bonita Springs, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

Posted pictures misrepresent this hotel. Carpet was reasonable, but rest of room was very dated. Old TV, old furniture, old drapery, old bed but was comfortable, rotting base board in places. Fortunately, room was reasonably clean and no bugs seen.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Quality Inn & Suites Airport? Share your experiences!