“A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Aliquippa
“A WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

We were suppost to go to an all inclusive in Mexico but due to the swine flu we canceled it, we were refered to Siesta Keys by a friend, we were never there, so we tried it and boy I'm glad we did, We found our self at the Lido Beach Resort, This resort is 1st class all the way, We were greeted with a smile and we left with a smile, The rooms had 2 closets (WOW) they were clean and neat, the staff was so friendly, we had breakfast every morning on the 8th floor restaurant overlooking Sarasota, What a view, Olga our server was so sweet, Laura at the poolside Tiki Bar made sure we always had our drinks, Thank You Laura, We then went to the front desk to see if we could upgrade our room to an ocean front and that's were we met Tim, This man not only gave us a wonderfull room at a very resonable price, he also had everything moved over to our new room, also he recomended some tours and wonderfull restaurants that he made reservations for us and the hotel shuttle drove us right to the front door,Thank You Tim.
Keep up the good work Guy's, We found our home away from home in Lido Beach.
Again, Thank You
Guy & Tammy Celeste
Aliquippa P.A.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 14, 2009
Dear Mr. and Mrs. Celeste,
Thank you so much for your gracious comments regarding the Lido Beach Resort. I especially appreciate the recognition you afforded some of our staff. I will be sure to share your review with them. Thank you again and we look forward to your return in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Ruskin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2009

This was our second meeting at Lido Beach Resort. I found it on TripAdvisor, read the reviews and books our organization for a three day stay. Our meeting attendees raved so much about the place we booked again for this year and have agreed to another booking for 2011. Yes there was some noise due to the beach reclamation but it wasn't bad and we are looking forward to enjoying the quiet reclaimed beach next year. I heard no complaints about the rooms from our attendees and they aren't shy about speaking up if things are not right. The only complaint registered was that the bacon at our breakfast was undercooked. All in all we had a very successful meeting and our attendees enjoyed their stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 9, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. We are so happy to hear your meeting was a success and you will be back in the future. We look forward to your return and serving you once again.
Jersey Shore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2009

I will start off the review by stating where my point of view is coming from because I feel it is important to understand who is writing the review as much as much the review itself. Currently, I am a 35 year old mother of three. Prior to having children, I was a travel agent for 5 years, and in the hospitality industry prior to that. I have had the oppurtunity to visit or stay at many vacation resorts. In general, the Lido Beach Resort's prices call for a high 4 or 5 start rating rating, yet falls short of such a in many ways. As others have stated, the location is mainly what you are paying for. That said, I still believe the hotel is overpriced.

The purpose of my vacation was for a short, 4-day romantic stay with my hubby. We ending up checking out early because we were just not impressed for value of the price paid. Here was my experiences and/or opinions...

Our room was a South Tower Kitchenette on the 12th floor. The positive: it was very clean, nicely equipped kitchette, nice linens, nice bedding, and was quite a large room. The negative: Although clean, the bathroom is VERY small(the door hits the toilet) and the view is of the "island" side(not bad)...but the roof is below! It was ugly and a bit noisy at times. In all fairness I was forewarned by the reservationist about the roof, so I could not complain. I am so thankiful I did not book the main building. It looks as unimpressive as other reviews have stated(at least from the outside).

As for the hotel itself...positives: the furniture around the hotel was beautiful. They have Pottery Barn-like furnishings dotting the hallways and common areas. The gazebo and Koi Pond are very tropical and inviting. The parking garage is very convenient and safe. Negatives: The lobby is small and unimpressive. The front desk staff at check-in was less than friendly, more like adequate. The concierge was oblivious to the fact that we were standing in front of her desk. The restaurant on the 8th floor has a nice view, but this does not compensate for the terrible food. I only ate breakfast there. My eggs were undercooked, and the hash brown potatoes were double fried...yuk. The bar by the pool is a bit cramped and uncomfortable, and again the prices are steep. The adults only pool is clean, but nothing special. The pool does offer towel service which is a plus. I did enjoy the fitness room(which no one has mentioned before). It's not large, but it is adequate enough to work up a sweat.

Now for my biggest dissappoinment...the beach. I was told the beach renovation has created some beautiful sand and that the renovation had moved away from the resort...huh? Not really, in my opinion. Firstly, I have seen sand just as nice at some Jersey shore beaches(maybe even nicer). There were so many crushed up sharp shells in the sand that it wasn't comfortable to walk on at times. The beach renovation equiptment (although not DIRECTLY in front of the hotel) is VERY close next door. It may not be the hotels fault it's there, but it is very present...do not let anyone fool you to think it's not a big deal. There were several large bulldozers making lots of noise. It's unfortunate, but true. Again, this all depends on your standards. In my opinion (based on comparison and experience) the Rac rates for this hotel are not acceptable erspite the beach renovation issues.

All in all, I would most likely not come back nor reccommend the Lido Beach Resort. I gave the resort a three out of five star rating because of the rooms being so nice. The lack of everything else therefore does not command such high prices or a higher rating. Competition is stiff, and I think someone can get a much better deal at another destination.

On a different note and fyi...In general, the area of Sarasota itself does not cater to a high clientel. I thoroughly researched the area hotels prior to travel. In all fairness, I will say that this hotel and possibly the Ritz Carlton were the only two I would consider staying at. The only reason I chose the Lido over the Ritz was for the beachfront location, only to be disappointed by the beach anyway. Personally, I would not reccommend Sarasota as a destination at all. There is not much to do or see outside of laying by a pool. Shopping and dining is less than average in St. Armand's, but you pay through the nose$$$.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2009
Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experience on the Lido Beach Resort and the Sarasota area in general. I am very sorry to hear you did not thoroughly enjoy your time in Sarasota. I appreciate your comments and will use them to continue to improve our service. Thank you again for your review.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

We were there when they were finishing the beach project. When we questioned the front desk about it, Patrick offered to move us to another room where we didn't look out on that side of the beach. He was very helpful and accommodating. We were impressed with his good service.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Lido Beach Resort and for recognizing one of our great team members, Patrick. I will be sure to share your review with Patrick. Thank you again for your comments. They are very much appreciated.
Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Lido Beach Resort. We decided to take a long weekend for our anniversary. We had read good things about the resort, so we decided to book it. Per the Lido Beach Resort website, their normal rates for a King room are about $260/night however we were able to book a rate of about $160. We travel a lot, so have expectations for a $260/night room. Obviously, that is not the rate we paid, however this is the rate that they advertise on a regular basis so they likely are able to get that during certain times of the year. In fact, their rates generally run from $260 - $500+. At any rate, we were expecting something very nice and instead got something very mediocre. Our room was clean, which was a bonus, but very beat up and run down looking. The curtains are nasty, the walls are all marked up, lots of dings in the woodwork, nasty old looking bedspread I really didn't even want to sit on. It just looked tired and worn. I will say they are located on a beatiful beach and have a decent pool area. The walk to the St Armande circle is nice and easy to do. We had breakfast in hotel and it was not very good. Everything tasted like it had been sitting around awhile. On our first morning there, we thought we would talk to the concierge to see if she could help my husband with some golf or recommend some good local restaurants. She was not only unhelpful, but her reaction was that we were interupting her though there was no one there but the two of us and she was talking on her cell phone. Her advice for golf courses when my husband said 'do you have any recommendations or know of anyplace with deals?' was 'Not really, we'll just have to call them and find out.' There are lots of local golf courses and we had never been there before, so you would think she might have a few recommendations or at least note some of the most popular - but nothing. For restaurant recommendations her response was 'there is a book with the menus - you can look through that.' Now I have been to numerous hotels all over the country and we generally will use the services of a concierge - particularly when we are somewhere we have not been before. I have never been anyplace where the concierge was as unhelpful and uninterested as this one was. Needless to say, we did not ask for any more help. So, our vacation was great despite the hotel, not because of it. If you stay here (in the main building - I can not speak for the neighboring tower though it did look nicer) you are paying for the location, which is great - not for the room or the service or the food. From previous comments, I know the manager will likely provide a comment saying he/she is sorry for my experience and will work to make changes etc., but the truth is you only get one chance to make a good impression and we were not impressed. Times are hard for everyone and money is tight. While spending $150-$200 a night may not seem like a lot to some, it is and we work hard for that and have certain expectations as to what that price tag should provide from experience at other hotels and resorts around the country. We will come back to the area - it is gorgeous, but not the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment after reading your review. I am very sorry your experience was not what you envisioned. The Lido Beach Resort takes great pride in the level of service and amenities we deliver to our guests. It is extremely disheartening to hear how we failed with you. If you would like to discuss your stay with me personally, please don't hesitate to contact me diretly at the hotel. I look forward to hopefully speaking with you. I am hopeful you will afford the Lido Beach Resort another opportunity in the future to make things right and not only meet but exceed your expectations.
Winter Springs, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We just stayed at the Lido Beach Resort and booked the resort because of it's fabalous location, beachfront and walking distance to St. Armands. Overall the resort is OK it does need some TLC, touch up painting, green pond, water stain on my sheets. However, more importantly the resort is lacking SERVICE! We attempted to order drinks and dine outside at the Tiki Bar and we couldn't get service. So we left. Then we decided to try again that evening although the bartenders were busy closing up and ignorned us until I asked if they were still open. They replied "no". The Lido Beach Grill was good for breakfast and the service was much better. When I checked out of the hotel, the gentleman asked, "how was your stay?" I replied, "The Lido Beach Grill was good but the service at the Tiki Bar was horrible." His reply was "Oh." Why asked if your not going to apoligize or attempt to understand the concern so you can prevent it from happening again?!? Overall, I give Lido Beach Resort 2 stars.

Stayed April 2009
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment after reading your comments. I am very sorry you experienced less than the exceptional service we are committed to providing our guests. I will be sure to share your comments with the appropriate departments to ensure this type of situation does not happen in the future. Thank you again for your review. It is very much appreciated.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Upon arrival at another hotel in the area, we were advised our confirmed, prepaid room was not available due to a computer glitch that caused the hotel to be overbooked. That hotel had contacted this resort & obtained a room for myself and the three ladies traveling with me. The plan at that time was to spend the first night here & return to our original hotel for our remaining two nights. We were not thrilled with having to pack up & move again but thought that was our only option. Early the following morning we returned to our original hotel and were told we could not check-in until after the 4PM check-in time. Four stressed, tired women then decided if the Lido Beach Resort would let us we would just stay where we were & get on with our vacation. Patrick at the front desk moved some other reservations around to accomodate us so we could stay in the exact same room and not have to move again. He was so kind and caring. He made us all feel much more at ease. By the way, all four of us are customer service specialists so we are much more aware when we receive great customer service. The location was wonderful. The adult pool was a plus. The food at the Tiki bar was convenient & very tasty. Our room was beachfront & comfortable & we were so happy to be settled. Thanks again to Patrick for his kindness & concern.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry your first impression of Sarasota was a negative one but I am very happy to hear how the Lido Beach Resort was able to accommodate you and your friends. I will be sure to share your comments with Patrick as I know he will be thrilled you recognized his efforts. Thank you again for your review. Your comments are very much appreciated!

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!