“You're paying for the location.” 2 of 5 stars

Lido Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   700 Benjamin Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Iowa
“You're paying for the location.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

My husband and I just got back from our trip to Lido Beach Resort. We decided to take a long weekend for our anniversary. We had read good things about the resort, so we decided to book it. Per the Lido Beach Resort website, their normal rates for a King room are about $260/night however we were able to book a rate of about $160. We travel a lot, so have expectations for a $260/night room. Obviously, that is not the rate we paid, however this is the rate that they advertise on a regular basis so they likely are able to get that during certain times of the year. In fact, their rates generally run from $260 - $500+. At any rate, we were expecting something very nice and instead got something very mediocre. Our room was clean, which was a bonus, but very beat up and run down looking. The curtains are nasty, the walls are all marked up, lots of dings in the woodwork, nasty old looking bedspread I really didn't even want to sit on. It just looked tired and worn. I will say they are located on a beatiful beach and have a decent pool area. The walk to the St Armande circle is nice and easy to do. We had breakfast in hotel and it was not very good. Everything tasted like it had been sitting around awhile. On our first morning there, we thought we would talk to the concierge to see if she could help my husband with some golf or recommend some good local restaurants. She was not only unhelpful, but her reaction was that we were interupting her though there was no one there but the two of us and she was talking on her cell phone. Her advice for golf courses when my husband said 'do you have any recommendations or know of anyplace with deals?' was 'Not really, we'll just have to call them and find out.' There are lots of local golf courses and we had never been there before, so you would think she might have a few recommendations or at least note some of the most popular - but nothing. For restaurant recommendations her response was 'there is a book with the menus - you can look through that.' Now I have been to numerous hotels all over the country and we generally will use the services of a concierge - particularly when we are somewhere we have not been before. I have never been anyplace where the concierge was as unhelpful and uninterested as this one was. Needless to say, we did not ask for any more help. So, our vacation was great despite the hotel, not because of it. If you stay here (in the main building - I can not speak for the neighboring tower though it did look nicer) you are paying for the location, which is great - not for the room or the service or the food. From previous comments, I know the manager will likely provide a comment saying he/she is sorry for my experience and will work to make changes etc., but the truth is you only get one chance to make a good impression and we were not impressed. Times are hard for everyone and money is tight. While spending $150-$200 a night may not seem like a lot to some, it is and we work hard for that and have certain expectations as to what that price tag should provide from experience at other hotels and resorts around the country. We will come back to the area - it is gorgeous, but not the hotel.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 24, 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment after reading your review. I am very sorry your experience was not what you envisioned. The Lido Beach Resort takes great pride in the level of service and amenities we deliver to our guests. It is extremely disheartening to hear how we failed with you. If you would like to discuss your stay with me personally, please don't hesitate to contact me diretly at the hotel. I look forward to hopefully speaking with you. I am hopeful you will afford the Lido Beach Resort another opportunity in the future to make things right and not only meet but exceed your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Winter Springs, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

We just stayed at the Lido Beach Resort and booked the resort because of it's fabalous location, beachfront and walking distance to St. Armands. Overall the resort is OK it does need some TLC, touch up painting, green pond, water stain on my sheets. However, more importantly the resort is lacking SERVICE! We attempted to order drinks and dine outside at the Tiki Bar and we couldn't get service. So we left. Then we decided to try again that evening although the bartenders were busy closing up and ignorned us until I asked if they were still open. They replied "no". The Lido Beach Grill was good for breakfast and the service was much better. When I checked out of the hotel, the gentleman asked, "how was your stay?" I replied, "The Lido Beach Grill was good but the service at the Tiki Bar was horrible." His reply was "Oh." Why asked if your not going to apoligize or attempt to understand the concern so you can prevent it from happening again?!? Overall, I give Lido Beach Resort 2 stars.

Stayed April 2009
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment after reading your comments. I am very sorry you experienced less than the exceptional service we are committed to providing our guests. I will be sure to share your comments with the appropriate departments to ensure this type of situation does not happen in the future. Thank you again for your review. It is very much appreciated.
Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Upon arrival at another hotel in the area, we were advised our confirmed, prepaid room was not available due to a computer glitch that caused the hotel to be overbooked. That hotel had contacted this resort & obtained a room for myself and the three ladies traveling with me. The plan at that time was to spend the first night here & return to our original hotel for our remaining two nights. We were not thrilled with having to pack up & move again but thought that was our only option. Early the following morning we returned to our original hotel and were told we could not check-in until after the 4PM check-in time. Four stressed, tired women then decided if the Lido Beach Resort would let us we would just stay where we were & get on with our vacation. Patrick at the front desk moved some other reservations around to accomodate us so we could stay in the exact same room and not have to move again. He was so kind and caring. He made us all feel much more at ease. By the way, all four of us are customer service specialists so we are much more aware when we receive great customer service. The location was wonderful. The adult pool was a plus. The food at the Tiki bar was convenient & very tasty. Our room was beachfront & comfortable & we were so happy to be settled. Thanks again to Patrick for his kindness & concern.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 15, 2009
Thank you for your review. I am very sorry your first impression of Sarasota was a negative one but I am very happy to hear how the Lido Beach Resort was able to accommodate you and your friends. I will be sure to share your comments with Patrick as I know he will be thrilled you recognized his efforts. Thank you again for your review. Your comments are very much appreciated!
Campton Hills, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2009

Location, location, location! The LBR is just a 10-15 minute walk to St. Armand's Circle and (once you get through the Circle) a relatively short drive to restaurants on Longboat Key. The beach behind the resort is also very nice. And the staff at the front desk, the poolside bar, and throughout the grounds are very friendly and helpful. But the rooms are starting to show some age, the mattresses are a bit stiff, and (we were on the second floor), the continuous sound of water flushing through pipes from the floors above got old after a while. And what's up with the "Made in China" toiletries? I know things are expensive in the area, but I wished I felt we were getting a better value.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and thoughts of the Lido Beach Resort. I appreciate your praise on the staff and other areas. I apologize for the issues you felt were not up to standard. I will certainly look in to the issues you mentioned and ascertain ways in which we may improve. Thank you again for your feedback. It is very much appreciated.
Maine
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2009

My family and I have stayed at Lido Beach Resort during the kids' spring break for the past 4 years. Our first visit was fantastic---clean rooms, great service, nice pool, etc. Unfortunately, we have noticed that things have gone down hill to the point where this past visit in March 2009 will likely be our last.

The good news is that the staff was as helpful and courteous as always. We have never had a problem with poor service. Also, the hotel is very convenient to some of our favorites like Sarasota, Holmes Beach and St. Armands Circle.

My wife's biggest complaint was the dirty bathroom. It had not been cleaned well (e.g. hairs in the shower from the prior guest). Also, both the floor and shower stalls where stained with mold.

Our other big issue was with the pool. For some reason, Lido seems to attract an inordinate number of smoking guests. This in and of itself is not an issue. However, the cigarette smoke around the kids' pool (there is a second pool reserved for adults) has become almost intolerable to the point where we really didn't use it this past visit.

Finally, during the week of 3/16/09, there was a major beach reclamation project underway right in front of the hotel. Very noisy heavy equipment was passing by the beachfront of the hotel 24 hours a day. Though this construction work was certainly beyond the control of the hotel, management should have notified guests prior to arrival.

I am sad to say that given the relatively high room rates at Lido and our concerns about cleanliness, we will look elsewhere next year for a better value . Goodbye Lido Beach Resort. We will miss you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 30, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment regarding the issues you cited. I am very sorry your stay did not measure up to past stays. I can assure you, your comments will be shared with the appropriate departments to ensure your concerns are addressed. I am hopeful you will consider staying with us again in the future. Thank you again for your comments, they are very much appreciated.
Denver, CO
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Location
The hotel is very close to the Sarasota airport, which is great if you don't want to rent a car (it would be nice if the hotel offered an airport shuttle, but they don't). Our taxi fare was only $23/$20 (without tip) to and from the airport if you are considering not renting a car. The walk to St. Armand's Circle is easy. We didn't take the complimentary shuttle from the hotel once during our stay. Being right on the beach is a nice plus. It was convenient to be able to go back to our room whenever we needed.

Beach/Pool
We were there during the latter part (we think) of the renourishment project. The morning we left it looked like they were clearing out the last of the pipes. But, it was not a huge distraction for us. The beach was still easily accessible. If you were seated close to the pipes they made a quiet rainfall sound. Most of the big machinery did their work early in the morning (which woke us up a couple times) and later in the evening. There was still plenty of beautiful beach to enjoy. The sand is incredibly soft and cool. And there are tons of perfect little shells. We found the water to be cold in March, but even so we ventured out every day. The waves were pretty calm our first day there, but the rest of our stay they became more choppy - great for boogey boarding and body surfing. It seemed uncrowded to us, so we're not sure if it was just this time of year, or if it's always like this. We didn't have trouble getting a pool at the beach or pool. The pool area has two sides. One pool for families and one for adults 18 + years. We liked being able to sit away from the kids and enjoy an often empty pool. There were also three hot tubs on the adult side which we never entered because the weather was always so warm.

Getting around
We didn't rent a car because we were only there a few days. If we would have stayed longer, having a car would have been ideal. Even though walking to St. Armand's circle was pleasant, we exhausted our exploring there after two visits. There is the SCAT bus/trolley system that only costs 75 cents per ride, but we found the timing (between routes) to be a bit difficult. We did take the trolley to Longboat Key to get some groceries from Publix, but beyond that we decided our time was better spent enjoying the area surrounding Lido. If we return (which we probably will in a few years) we'd like to get over to Siesta Key as well. The bus system just wouldn't have been a good use of our limited time and we didn't want spend the money on a cab.

The resort food is pretty good. We tried several things off the menu (the room service menu is an extended version of the tiki bar menu) and didn't have many complaints. The dinner portions were huge. The staff working the tiki bar are very friendly and do a great job serving all the folks at the bar and by the pool. We found the drink prices to be high, but figured it's pretty typical for what they were serving. We had breakfast a couple times at the Lido Grille and really enjoyed it. The Beachcomber was a favorite. And we really appreciated being able to charge things to our room throughout our stay.

Rooms
We were pleased with our room. We stayed in a King suite with a kitchenette. We found it to be quite spacious and comfortable. It was nice to have the fridge and microwave. It was great to be able to break from the sun and have lunch in the comfort of our room. We did find the tap water to be a bit funky - something we are not used to. We ended up buying bottled water (or ordering water from the bar) during our stay.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your detailed review of the Lido Beach Resort. The hotel and tripadvisor readers, I'm sure, appreciate your comments and observations. We look forward to your return in the future.
Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

Made reservation on March 6, 2009. Upon check-in on March 8th, we rec'd a letter describing the Lido Beach Renourishment project, which rendered the resort's beach unusable. Since the project was no secret, I would have expected that common courtesty might have dictated that we be advised, in advance of our arrival, that the beach may not be accessible.
The noisy machinery on the beach made spending much time poolside unpleasant.
When I suggested that the hotel offer some type of compensation, I received the following reply: "I am very sorry the project inconvenienced you in any way. Unfortunately the hotel is not in a position to provide any compensation as this project is entirely out of our control."
This resort is very nice, but if you plan to spend time on the beach there, I suggest you ask if the Beach Renourishment project is ongoing before you make a reservation.

• Stayed March 2009
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, March 16, 2009
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your disappointment regarding the beach renourishment. I am very sorry you were inconvenienced during your stay. The project has moved away from the hotel but will not be complete until mid-April. I am hopeful you will be able to return in the future to see the finished results and truly appreciate the Lido Beach Resort.

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!