“Love the location, but suites are $ and in need of repair” 4 of 5 stars

Lido Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   700 Benjamin Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Illinois
“Love the location, but suites are $ and in need of repair”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2014

We have seen a lot of changes since the selling and re-selling of this property over the last 25 years. The location is spectacular! The waves break nicely, lots of shells, beautiful pool area, and so close to wonderful shopping and dining at St. Armands Circle. But the bathrooms in the suites are severely outdated and even smell. The wood trim in the kitchen area breaking away. The sliding glass door to the beachfront porch would hardly move because the stripping is probably old. They also no longer rake the sea-weed every morning like they used to on the beach. Talking to people walking the beach, I could have rented a condo 2 doors down for 2 weeks for what I paid for 5 nights. Not staying here next time will be so difficult - it feels like home! But the value is just not there any longer.

Room Tip: Pay extra for the junior suites if you can! Beautiful view of the beach and the ability to cook in...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort and for your patronage over many years. We certainly want to keep you coming back. We are continually making changes and updates with the entire property. If you would like, please feel free to contact me directly to discuss those changes and any other issues you would like to talk about! My goal is for your continued patronage for the next 25 years! I look forward to hearing from you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2014

I have stayed at this hotel a few times with family and a few times with just the wife. We keep coming back because of the great deal we get having grandparents at Plymouth Harbour. Without that discount, we probably would not go. Here's a few reasons why. First of all is the price, it is expensive without the discount; more than the Holiday Inn a few doors down and a little less than the Ritz, which is located closer in town and has it's own beach club. Second is the quality, the rooms in the main building are very outdated; for example, the ac units are very loud when you are trying to sleep and the walls are so thin you can hear everything going on next door. Third, the hotel is a long walk from St. Armand's circle (they do have a free shuttle service) and a drive from Main St, Sarasota so you may need a car or taxi if you want to cross the bridge (if you have not been to Main St. it is a must do - excellent restaurants, cool shops with super friendly shop keeps, and a fun atmosphere).
Those are the main downsides of The Lido Beach Resort. However, there are some very nice features on this property. Many of the rooms have kitchenettes, there is a larger "everybody" pool and small adults pool with three hot tubs. The restaurants and pool bar are alright, the private beach has chairs provided and it is blocked off from the public beach, and the rooms a pretty big.
In summary, this is a nice hotel with some pretty good features but it is overpriced. So, if you can get a discount it's worth it but if you have to pay full price you may want to try a different hotel.

Room Tip: Splurge for the beach front rooms. They are truly awesome. Also, getting a room with a kitchenette i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 9, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. The hotel is working towards a renovation to address the issues you cited. I am sure other travelers will appreciate your comments as well. We hope to have you continue to return in the future.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We came with 10 family members for a week vacation last week. It was excellent. The beach is wonderful, very accessible and not crowded. Lots of shells, beautiful clear water and nice sand. We had 3 rooms including one suite and they were fine. Not high end luxury but clean, up to date and spacious. The food is so so but it's fine for a beach vacation. The shuttle to st Armand's is very easy to get and very convenient. It's a nice relaxing place. I am definitely returning with my family. Some of the negative reviews I read on trip advisor prior to my visit had me concerned but they are wrong. This is an excellent place for a relaxing beach vacation.

Stayed August 2014
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am so pleased you and your family had an enjoyable time and look to return! We certainly look forward to your next visit with us!
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I stayed at this hotel with my sister and 14 y/o niece. After reading a few reviews on this place I was a bit nervous as my sister is a hotel snob. We stayed for a full week in a one bedroom. I was pleasantly surprised. This hotel was the perfect location right on a gorgeous beach! Beach chairs were free and the staff was super friendly. One day we went to the beach late and all the chairs were taken. We asked if there were more chairs and they got them for us right away. While we were at the beach there were two people who needed medical attention and the staff were super nice and eager to assist in any way possible. Several reviews said this hotel is severely out of date. I would agree that they could use some updating but I didn't feel it was overwhelmingly out of date or unclean. The only two negative comments I have about this place is that the room service and restaurant menus are very limited. They should add some new items and give a bit more variety. The other complaint I had was that the "pull out sofa bed" was a dilapidated tiny twin size mattress. The mattress needed to be replaced badly. Thank god my niece is tiny because I don't think any adult could fit on it and it was uncomfortable. They definitely should replace them and opt for a larger size. If booking here I would be cautious of using the sofa bed as a sleeping option. Other than that, I think this is a great place for vacation and I would definitely stay again :)

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. It sounds like you certainly enjoyed your "girls vacation". I appreciate your feedback and will work to address the issues you mentioned!
Quebec City, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

The location does not get better than this. Right on the water of the best beach in Florida. Soft white sand, clean warm water of the Gulf. No need to go to the Caribbean. It's perfect if you like a nice quiet stay with romantic views of the Gulf and stars at night and all the lights along the shore. The location is off the beaten track on the Lido Beach. Most of the action takes place on the circle of the little village about 5 minutes away where all the restaurants, bars and shops are located. The hotel offers beach umbrellas which are so important because there is no other shade. The hotel staff is very friendly, courteous and super helpful. I needed a new book to read and the gal behind the front desk gave me a huge box of books to look through. And I really enjoyed the food in the cafe. It's perfect if you like it quiet and romantic.

Room Tip: Most rooms have a sea view with balcony.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
We certainly strive to ensure satisfaction and it sounds like we achieved that with you. Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort!
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2014

We had a nice stay, as usual at the "sandcastle". Of course there were some noticeable changes since our last visit......but we were so pleased to see some familiar faces. One person we look forward to seeing is a server named Lynn. She just always seems to be enjoying her job, her customers----she actually remembers people and wants their experience to be great.
A fun person makes a good meal great.

Room Tip: Choose ground floor
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Thank you for your review, however, I believe you may be reviewing the wrong hotel. We would love to have you stay at the Lido Beach Resort though, if you would ever like to change things up!
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

I've been there 3 times during Thanksgiving and I highly recommend it. The view is amazing. The beach is perfect, nothing beats sitting there and watching a perfect sunset. So many dolphins swimming. Amazing. The pool is alright. Food and drinks are good. I recommend it.

• Stayed November 2013
Thank you for your review and recommendation! I agree, we certainly have some of the best views in Sarasota! I am glad you have been able to see some of the wildlife as well!

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!