“Great property; inconsistent service” 4 of 5 stars

Lido Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   700 Benjamin Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Halifax, Canada
“Great property; inconsistent service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

My husband and I recently spent 9 days at the Lido Beach Resort.
Our room was great. We had a beachfront kitchenette in the smaller (original) bldg. We had a king bed, a small kitchen, and my favourite - his n hers closets! The view of the pool and beach was very nice. B/c we were only on the 2nd floor, on a cpl of occasions we did hear noise from outside, but nothing that was a really big deal.

I must say that the service was rather inconsistent throughout our stay. The first day, our room was made up, but our dishes were still in the sink and the counters not even wiped down. We were happy to do our own dishes, but we didn't have any dish soap or dishcloths in the room, so we assumed housekeeping would take care of it. When we inquired, we were supposed to have those supplies, but housekeeping was also supposed to clean the kitchen area. We also never knew when housekeeping may arrive. One day they arrived before 9am. Another day we had to call at 3pm as they still hadn't been, but we had a wedding to get ready for. On another day, they never came at all, and we had to call again as we hd no bathroom tissue left.

The food in the cafe/tiki bar is average. A lot of fried foods. Even the salads they offer are quite heavy. I ordered a caesar salad and it was drowning in sauce. We ate breakfast in the cafe a few times and had mediocre service. One day our servers appeared to be mixed up (2 people attempted to serve us) and then they had a small argument about it in full view of us. Another day our bills were mixed up (only 4 of us were at the table).

That said, Brent at the pool bar was AWESOME. We were a large group celebrating a wedding. There's no question that we were enjoying our drinks and having a good time poolside. He never got an order wrong despite us constantly moving around the pool. We were also usually in a group larger than 10, and often had more than 10 drinks to an order by the end of a day. He works very hard and was so pleasant the whole week, remembering our names and where we were from.

The property is overall quite nice. 2 pools; one is adult only. Several small hot tubs, and beachfront. It is kept very clean, and the beach is obviously raked as well. One annoying thing is that there is a public beach right next door. So, some people going to that beach will park in the Lido Resort lot and take up spots. This doesn't really seem to be monitored. The Lido guests are supposed to display a pass in their window. There were many that weren't. There is also a leg parked, but the side lot was much closer to our room and that's where we wanted to go.

Overall, I would still stay at the Lido Beach resort again. The little annoyances did not really affect my overall enjoyment of the trip. My husband (politely) brought our concerns to the manager's attention at the end of our stay, and he was very thankful for our feedback, and did adjust our fees some, so obviously this is a place that does care about the happiness of the guests.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Thank you for your very detailed and thorough review of the Lido Beach Resort. We truly do appreciate your feedback. I apologize for the inconsistencies you experienced and will certainly work to improve our service levels based on your review. Thank you again for your comments and for staying with us!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
Etna Green, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

Stayed here last August. I came with my husband who was fortunate enough to have business meetings at this hotel. We stayed in the taller building and had the most beautiful ocean view. We left the door open most nights to hear the waves. I loved every second of our stay here. The beautiful Gulf water was so warm and the waves were gentle. The beach was clean and the shelling was great. I chatted with lots of very nice people on the beach since my husband had to be in meetings most of the day. Our room was clean and very nice. I spent very little time in it, I could have slept on the beach lounge! The staff was very nice and helpful. They have a driver with a van who will take you to St. Armands Circle to shop and eat. They have an adults pool and a "everyone" pool. I never sat at the pool but it seemed nice. I would go back here in a heartbeat. Loved my time spent here and miss it!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony. You can listen to the waves all night!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Thank you for sharing your comments about the Lido Beach Resort! I am extremely pleased you enjoyed your stay and want to return again! We look forward to your return and making another memorable stay for you!
Glasgow
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

We have stayed on a number of occasions at the Lido Beach and it was a sudden impulse to go there for the last 4 days of our holiday in Florida. I read with interest the recent good and bad reports about the hotel.
It is an infuriating hotel to stay in because there are so many good things about it....location, courtesy bus to St Armands Circle, spacious rooms, excellent dining room, great bar, etc.
However, there are a number of things which detract from enjoying a relaxing stay there.
Firstly, the room we thought we had booked a day earlier was not available and we were "upgraded" to a Tower Suite. Having unpacked everything, we noticed the cracked tiles in both the bathroom and the kitchenette which had been hidden by mats. These were serious cracks which could have caused damage to bare feet. When reported to the front desk, their main concern was that the mats covered all the cracks. I did say that we didn't want to move as we were only there for 4 nights.
Secondly, although guests pay $25 a day resort fee, the Tiki Bar is accessible to the general public. Despite the fact that there are notices stipulating the rules, nobody polices them! Therefore, people come in off the beach, bring in their own drink in cool boxes, use the pools, use guest sunbeds and take drink and food into the pool. The relaxed atmosphere around the pool soon becomes too boisterous. Either the hotel needs to close the bar to non-residents, which I don't think they want to do, or they issue wrist bands to guests thus allowing easy identification of "intruders". Some hard decisions need to be taken by management if they are to sort out this problem.

In addition, the pool filtration system does not work terribly effectively because every day there was an accumulation of sun-oil and debris floating about.
An earlier contributor mentioned the fact that uncollected trays would lie around for days in corridors. This was still in evidence during our visit.
Breakfast used to be served on the 8th floor but is now only available in the Lido Café. This is an open but covered area which is basic to say the least!! A hotel of this standard deserves a better breakfasting facility. Does nobody ever think about clearing the bird "poo" from the breakfast chairs? This was in evidence for the 4 days of our stay!
You can see why I'm frustrated as it could so much better.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you commit!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very thorough review of the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your frustrations based on your review and apologize your experience was not a better one. The hotel is working towards a renovation to address the issues you cited. As for the other items, this should not have happened and I will share your review with the appropriate departments to improve these areas. Thank you for your observations and feedback!
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Recently took my daughter, sister in law, and our mothers for Mother's Day weekend. Booked the 14th floor 2bed / 2bath suite. Upon check in, the bellman helped us get all of our food and bags up to the room...and it was A LOT!

Staff was friendly and courteous. I had a few special requests that were addressed with a smile. I wanted to make sure it was extra special for our mothers, so I think I became a little bit of a pain with the special requests, but the staff seemed to handle everything with grace and ease.

I want to relay how clean the suite and grounds were. I had read some negative reviews so I was determined to keep my eyes open...my usual 5-star destinations (which will remain unnamed for this review) may have been more richly decorated...but the Lido Beach Resort was just as cleanly if only stark.

As with all of my other reviews, I usually try to make some sort of suggestions. My only suggestion for the Lido Beach Resort would be to make sure that housekeeping please keep in mind the number of guests in a room. We had five people in our suite, but received two packets of morning coffee, and two very tiny sets of bath amenities. The second day, we did not receive any extra bath amenities. I can say that upon request, they rushed more to our room, but each day we had to make a request for more, which was ok...but could have been avoided.

One final note...the front desk staff went out of their way to accommodate us at the last minute. On the last night of our stay, we received quite the large display of several vases of flowers. Not knowing how to transport them when we left, the front desk boxed all of them up for us, and held them until we could load them into the car the next day. An efficient and friendly staff goes a long way with me!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor of the tower...it was beautiful and clean.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort! I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and it sounds like a very memorable Mother's Day weekend. I appreciate your observations and suggestions and will certainly share them with our housekeeping department. Thank you again for your review and your business!
Hebron, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2014

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION! My husband and I have been coming here annually in the spring for 5 years now. Lido Beach has 2 buildings, the taller one has better views but the but some of the corner units in the shorter building have panoramic views of the water! There are things that need repair but nothing major. There are not a lot of accommodations on this stretch of the beach and here you are right on it! This resort has an adult only pool which is great for sunbathers who want quiet and don't want to get wet. They have servers who will bring you drinks and lunch right to your chair as well as a Tiki bar with tables. They have the best breakfast I have found anywhere in the gulf beach area, the french toast with fruit is great but they changed it this year, not as good (also not included in price, which is normal for beachfront resorts). Lido Beach is also within walking distance to St Armands Circle which has lots of shops, ice cream, art galleries, and sculptures. Also a short drive over the bridge is Marina Jack, great area to walk and have lunch at the Tiki restaurant. If you are working with a tight budget check out St Pete's beach a little south of this, many more options and activities but I love this resort!

Room Tip: Ask for top floors for better views. Taller building is a little newer feeling but all gulf view roo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort and your continued patronage over the years! I am sure people will appreciate your many comments about the area as well. Thank you again for your review, it is very much appreciated!
Granite Quarry, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2014

Excellent staff - friendly, accommodating! Amazing breakfast! Great view from bedroom & oceanfront balcony. Room was clean, well equipped. Adult only pool with pool-side bar. Room service - fast & delicious. Close to tons of area activities. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 6, 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and we definitely look forward to your return in the future.
Smithfield, Rhode Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed 6 nights in the end of March. We had a great time. I agree with some of the other reviews that the place needs updating. We were in the Tower on the 2nd floor. We had a beautiful view of the Gulf and the sunsets. The person taking care of our room did an excellent job of keeping our room clean. The shower door had some rust at the bottom of the rail, but the bathroom was very clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The beach and the pool area were well taken care of. Having Armand Circle within walking distance was a nice plus. They did offer a shuttle, but we preferred to walk. I also agree that it is overpriced, but they do have a choice location. It wouldn't be so bad if the additional $25 resort fee was included.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying in the Tower building.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. I am very pleased you enjoyed your six nights at the hotel. I certainly appreciate your feedback and will use it to better our facility!

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!