“Pool area under construction appalling drainage smells no evening bar service” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Lido Beach Resort

You added Lido Beach Resort to your Saves list
Lido Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   700 Benjamin Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
“Pool area under construction appalling drainage smells no evening bar service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

Have stayed here before and always been satisfied. But standards have slipped. Not told when booking that the pool area was a building site. Sumps were being drained causing a pungent nauseous smell throughout the hotel. Bars shut by 10 and no room service. Not recommended for a holiday! Complaints to the front desk treated with disinterest. Brightest spot was extremely pleasant personable shuttle driver to St Almands circle. Overall suggest you choose a different hotel in this location

• Stayed September 2013
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for your comments and returning to the Lido Beach Resort. I am very sorry you were not satisfied on this visit. I also want to apologize for your not being informed of the tiki bar renovation. We have tried very hard to reach all guests and be informative about the work on-going. The new tiki bar will be completed in a few weeks and I am sure you will be very impressed with the new look. I hope you will give us another opportunity to earn your business again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
Plantation
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

We stayed here during a visit to the area for a triathlon. The service at check-in was ok, they didn't make us feel too welcomed. She was so concerned about leaving her shift and not assisting us right away. We unfortunately weren't able to get a kind bed and had this reserved for quite some time. When we got there, the couple in front of us ended up getting the last available kind bed (from a cancellation) for our room type. I had called previously to try to snatch a cancellation, so I thought it was kind of unfair they gave it away as first come first serve. The double beds definitely aren't for two! So my husband and I slept separate that weekend.
They did a pretty good job at updating all the finishes and furniture. However, you can tell the place has been run down a bit and needs further updating. They have all kinds of "freebies" in the room, I loved that! They have a Keurig coffee machine, popcorn and huge bottles of water that get replenished daily.
The hotel is right on the beach, that was great! You can't really see much of the ocean from the pool area, which was a bummer, but it's a large area with two pools and multiple hot tubs! They even have an adult area.
We only did lunch at the resort and weren't too thrilled. We both got the Philly Steak, it was very greasy and fatty (more than usual!). The service was pleasant though.
Overall, I'd definitely stay here again for a short visit. If I had stayed any longer than the weekend, I would have definitely upgraded to a room in the new tower. Something to consider.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I hope you did well in the triathlon or at the very least had a good time competing. I do appreciate your observations very much and will use them to continue to improve our service and facilities! Thank you for staying with us!
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

We just had an excellent anniversary vacation at this Resort. Before we even arrived, the staff's attitude was clearly excellent. I needed to change rooms due to the fact my brother wanted to sleep on our sleeper sofa for a couple of nights. When I called the hotel to get details on the sleeper sofa, I found out I had booked a studio. There was no way my brother could stay with us in a studio. I explained to the clerk that we were staying for our anniversary and my husband was going to kill me for telling my brother he could stay with us. The hotel clerk asked me to be patient for a few minutes and she was able to move other reservations around so we could have a one bedroom unit with two baths for no additional charge (the clerk said happy anniversary). When we checked in, the front desk knew that it was our anniversary, just from the one call.

The food is just great in this hotel. The downstairs Cafe Lido looks a little run down. Your entire view changes when the food arrives. The feta omelet was delicious. We also ate there for lunch and no one was disappointed. Try the steak salad or the fresh fish sandwich. Dinner on the 8th floor was fantastic. Try the Paella. All the seafood pastas were great.

The beach is beautiful and cleaned daily. We had a small kitchen and it was great. The room service did a great job, washing our dishes in the mini dishwasher, and making sure we had lots of clean towels.

There is shuttle to St. Armands Circle (free). The driver was just great. The shuttle looks brand new.

There is a small gym that is well equipped. We found out during our stay that the hotel is pet friendly.

So you are not surprised, this place is a little run down. Our room could have used some new furniture. There were some broken tiles in the bathroom. It could use an upgrade. But when we enjoyed our views from our corner room , sat on our balcony watching the sun set, and enjoyed the beach, we realized we got our money's worth.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room in the South Tower, high up. Our room, 1105, had fantastic views, but was in...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your very thorough review of the Lido Beach Resort and happy anniversary as well. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay. We are working on some renovation plans for Cafe Lido very soon and the rooms hopefully to follow thereafter. We look forward to your return and for you to see the changes that are coming!
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

The Hotel is generally ok, Most of the rooms have newer beds & furnishings. Some of the walls doors have been painted over to cover up decades of use. The short main building elevator smelled, and yes some faced the parking lot or the parking garage. I had a suite on the tenth floor on the South tower, had a view of a neighboring building only 6 floors, but was high enough to have a view of the city to the beach. The gym was ok, not a lot to it, you are better to go for a swim or run on the beach. Pool area is fun & have three hot tubs to relax in. the Food was not that good, for the price you might want to go to the ST. Armands Circle lots or places cheap to expensive. The Beach area was clean and grated very day. The customer service was top notch. I forgot a credit card in the safe , which they found and mailed to me.
And even phoned to see if I had received it. the price was discounted for a conference so it was reasonable $178 /night if they were charging $500 or more depending on the time of year I would have lowered the Value rating. The conference food was better than the normal restaurant food so the rating of average.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I apologize everything was not perfect for your time with us. I appreciate the feedback and will utilize your comments to continue to improve our facility.
Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

We moved from the Homewood Suites (see previous review) to the Lido for our final night.

The staff were excellent from the moment we walked in. I called ahead and they agreed to let us keep our car in the lot for the day while we waited for a room to be ready. Upon arriving in the early am they had already upgraded us to a beachfront unit in the south tower.

Since were were house/condo shopping and I was trying to convince my husband that I wanted beach vs golf this was fantastic!!

The room was impeccably clean, beautifully appointed with a great little kitchen and large bathroom. The beach was in excellent condition, we saw dolphins, manatees and a few stingrays during our overnight/morning stay.

Staff was all very friendly. The food in the restaurant on the 8th floor of the south tower was really very very good and again, the staff very accommodating.

We ended up putting an offer in on a condo nearby but we will be staying at the Lido Key hotel again with our family at Christmas. Excellent value for the price!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort and congratulations on finding a condo nearby. We definitely look forward to having you and your family back for the holidays!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

One of the best hotels in the entire West Coast of Florida!
Phenomenal Hospitality! Right on the heart of Lido Beach!
Close to the famous Saint Armands Circle where they is trendy shops and a wonderful array of restaurant choices.
The grounds are kept pristine!
You feel like you are on a tropical island.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your review of the Lido Beach Resort. I am very pleased you loved the hotel and the staff. Hopefully, you will return again very soon!
Parkland, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

After reading some of the previous reviews, I am a little surprised at some of the scathing reviews. I am a clean freak and found the hotel to be clean and the elevator clean as well.
My issue is that half of the efficiency rooms had what I would call an ocean view (partial) and the other side an awful view of a four story parking garage. But they charge the same for each and you cannot be guaranteed or even pay a slightly higher charge for the partial view. So unless you pay a significantly higher rate for a " total ocean view " you cannot guarantee arriving and not getting a view of the ugly parking garage. They should offer the partial ocean view at an upcharge, with a guarantee of that class of room and let guests who are shopping just price know the difference ahead of time and know what kind of view they are reserving..
It was Labor Day weekend and I have NEVER seen such a crowded beach!

• Stayed August 2013
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for sharing your review and insight regarding the Lido Beach Resort. I can certainly understand your point regarding "views" from particular rooms. I am sorry we are currently not set up to handle that type of pricing structure but it is something we may consider in the future. Thank you again for your review and for choosing the Lido Beach Resort.

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!