“Tower only ... great view!” 4 of 5 stars

Lido Beach Resort
3.5 of 5 Resort   |   700 Benjamin Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in Sarasota
Wisconsin
“Tower only ... great view!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

You can't get any closer to the beach then this. The view was fantastic. it was nice to listen to the sound of the ocean and watch the sunset from our balcony. It was a very peaceful get away. We never heard one peep through the walls. The first night was spent in a King Kitchenette in the older part of the resort. We arrived late on the holiday.The smell was immediately obvious but it was 1 am and we just wanted to sleep.The next morning we awoke at sunrise as the drapes were not flush to the wall in the corner unit and we were smacked in the face with daylight. Once we were up we realized that there was a lot of black mold on the ceiling in the bathroom and above the table which probably contributed to the odor and irritated my husband's allergies. We went to the desk in the morning to request a new room and were told that it would be awhile but they would call us as soon a room was clean. At 2pm we still had not heard anything, so we stopped at the desk and were told that we would hear from them by 4pm. 4pm came and went, still no word, at 550pm we called the desk and were immediately brought a key and given assistance transporting our belongings to a 2Q suite in the tower. The staff at LIdo Beach was outstanding which cushioned the poor accommodations the first night. The only poor customer service came from a waitress at breakfast and the lack of apologies for placing us in a room with mold growing in it. The delay was understandable as it was the holiday and they had an enormous amount of check outs.
After changing rooms, it finally felt like a nice resort not just an old rundown motel.

Room Tip: Do yourself a favor and request the tower; it makes all the difference!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 23, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I apologize for the inconveniece you experienced on your first night. I trust the remainder of your stay was an enjoyable one.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
RI
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

We stayed at the Lido Beach Resort during the week of August 20th. The resort is nice but we had a few issues. I had booked our family suite rooms back in April 2012. I had requested high rooms in order for the ocean view. We were traveling with another family. When we arrived to our rooms, they were located on the 4th floor across from each other. Our room on the left had a nice view of the ocean. The other room on the right had a nice view of the hotel building of the resort. We went down to try to switch the rooms, but nothing was available. The only rooms were at a higher rate. Nothing was offered at a discounted rate. So we ended up staying in the originally booked rooms. The rooms were large but are showing signs of needing some updating. I know its tough being right at the beach, but some of the rusted tile grout and walls really need to be attended to. Also, the appliances in the kitchen need to be updated as well.

By the second day, the sugars ants arrived. They were located around the sink area in the counter. I know this is common in the warm weather areas. So we called the front desk to have the area sprayed. We continued to battle the ants the next few days. More spraying was done, and more ants showed the next day. I’m thinking that the over the counter spray just doesn’t cut it. We had to make sure everything was sealed and kept off the counters in the kitchen.

The cleanliness of the rooms when we arrived was OK. Our traveling family did have a lot of beach sand on their chairs. And we did find a few empty bottles in the closet above the microwave in the master bedroom. I found that kind of hard for the maid to miss when cleaning the room for new arrivals.

With the hurricane Isaac looming, we decided to check out a day earlier and head up to Tampa. The resort was nice enough not to penalize us for an early departure. When checking out, we were met at the counter by Sue from Boston. She asked how our stay was, and told her about the issue with the room view and our ant problem. She found it hard to believe that we were not offered other rooms at a discounted price. After making a few phone calls, she credited us a night’s lodging for both rooms due to the problems. We found that to be very good customer service on her part. Some of the check in staff needs to learn from Sue.

All and all, the stay was OK. The pool was nice and Chris and Cheryl were really good serving our families at the pool. The beach was extremely beautiful and the water was like bath water. The location of the resort was great. It was only a one hour drive to Busch Gardens/Adventure Island and two hours away from the Magic Kingdom. We couldn’t pass up on that! We probably won’t return to Lido Beach Resort. We did find many other locations driving through the island that we would probably like to try in the future.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your detailed review of your stay at the Lido Beach Resort. I apologize for the issues you experienced and certainly appreciate you bringing this to my attention. I am pleased Susan was able to make some amends for your inconvenience. Thank you again for your comments, they are very much appreciated.
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Take the elevator to the 8th floor for an incredible happy hour from 5:00-7:00 in the bar. It is on Friday and Saturday-not sure about other days of the week.
Beautiful views of the Gulf and incredible sunsets. Glasses of wine/beers are half price for about $3.00-nice
Appetizers are also half price-lobster roll sliders, filet sliders, lamb chops, pizzas and more.
6 of us had several drinks and several appetizers. Bill was $107. We counted it as dinner as it was so filling. Music too.
Can't beat it-we went with locals if that tells you anything!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Thank you for your review of our happy hour at the Lido Beach Resort and the Lido Beach Grille. A tip for all, we have happy hour specials at all three bars including our tiki bar by the beach! The Lido Beach Grille certainly provides a birds' eye view of Lido Key with some amazing appetizers. I am very happy you chose to highlight one of our many bright spots at the Lido Beach Resort.
Clermont, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent 3 days, 2 nights at this hotel located right on the Gulf of Mexico. We were in the older four story section and not the tower. Although our room was not fancy, it had everything we needed including a microwave, coffeepot and refrigerator. The only bad thing was that the tree frogs were so loud the first night we were there that it was hard to sleep. The room was clean and adequate for a beach place. The hotel staff was great. We got there very early and were allowed to check in with no problem. We also dined in the tower restaurant the first night and the food was great. We would stay there again, but stay in the tower to avoid the noise from the frogs!

Room Tip: I would stay in the tower as it is newer and would be quieter.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of the Lido Beach Resort. On behalf of the hotel staff and the "tree frogs", I am sorry you were disturbed by them. Typically that is not an issue but I am very sorry none the less. The South Tower certainly provides some additional isolation from the distractions of nature if you require. We hope to see you again soon with no interruptions! Thank you for choosing the Lido Beach Resort.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Had a fabulous stay - unfortunately it was for business and only got to stay one night, but luckily got a late checkout so got to enjoy the beautiful beach for an hour anyhow. The room was HUGE and had a great view! I found the room to be spotless, so I was really surprised at some of the reviews on here, I had ZERO complaints. Probably one of the nicest places I've stayed anywhere in Florida (and I am a FL resident). The tiki bar made good drinks and I was happy with it, don't know what the complaints were about on that either. I would recommend this place highly and can't wait until I can find time and a reason to go back and stay longer!

Room Tip: I had ocean view and it was outstanding!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay and would like to return in the future. We looked forward to your return and having you stay even longer!
fl
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

We booked two rooms for two nights. They upgraded room one to South Tower to be near our room, which we had no desire for, but since our adult daughter was standing there we accepted. This upgrade came after 30 minutes of dickering over booked price and then attendant wanted to charge us more! We pushed issue and manager finally came out and fixed it. We then noticed a paper that said no swimming in gulf due to bacteria!! I was beside myself as chlorine from pool makes my skin red. We asked for our room to be upgraded to a view since nobody was there on 8/20. They said no as they'd have to charge us much more. We were given a parking lot room as was our daughter on floors 12 and 14 that were not ready. We went to beach and you couldn't walk as nasty and smelly seaweed covered the narrow beach and it was dangerous to one like me with allergies. Back to pool we went, and I am not supposed to swim in pool. We questioned many workers who said bacteria had been this way for a week or two! .Why didn't the resort call us and give us an option??? The smell bothered me and so the complete outdoor experience was a bust. Both rooms had no wi-FI and after much discussion and calls, we were given the resort fees of $80 back. The night manager told me that the rooms we were given in back of building, on floor 12 and 14, rarely had wi-FI and that was so unfair to us since most of hotel was empty!! My husband couldn't conduct business and I had to watch him snore at night instead of a movie on my IPad. I wanted to leave on day two, but we paid already, so sucked it up. We didn't use room service or cleaning. On day of check out, maid woke us up at 9 a.m. Banging on door to clean?!? Check out was 11.a.m.!! In summation, we may as well threw $1000 out the window. Staff was friendly, but should have given us rooms with a view in lieu of no beach or wi-FI. Saying your sorry as check out tech did, simply doesn't fix a lost vacation and hard earned money. Kathy Kathgall@aol.com

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I am very sorry you did not enjoy your stay. I can certainly understand your disappointment with the beach being closed. The hotel makes every effort to inform our guests when there are adverse beach conditions. I apologize for the issues the hotel can control and hope you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the future.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed at the Lido Beach Beach Resort for a business meeting, and read some horrible reviews before hand. I was very pleasantly surprised at how large my room was with a balcony overlooking the beach. The restaurants and even drinks at the tiki bar are pretty pricey, but then again, you are paying resort prices. I would go back to this property.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
LidoBeachResortGM, General Manager at Lido Beach Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience at the Lido Beach Resort. I appreciate your feedback and am very happy you enjoyed your stay.

Been to Lido Beach Resort? Share your experiences!