“Nice Hotel, but stay tarnished with issues” 3 of 5 stars

Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #12 of 48 hotels in Sarasota
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, UK
“Nice Hotel, but stay tarnished with issues”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights in March following a 4 night stay in Las Vegas (Vdara) , before us heading down to Naples (Trianon, Old Naples) for the remaining 6 nights of our vacation before heading back home to the UK. The trip was my 40th birthday celebration.

We had a number of problems during our short stay.

1). We arrived late on the 03/27 (10pm) and were somewhat disappointed to discover that the hotel was overbooked. The front desk gentleman offered us a parlour room(?) an annexe of a suites for the first night of our stay. This was a pretty small space and the sofa / put up bed incredibly uncomfortable with a wafer thin mattress. To be fair reception did reduced the room rate from $220 to $100 for that first night and did provide us with a free meal and bottle of wine which we took at the bar. He also arranged for us to have a complimentary entry breakfast for the duration of our stay.

2). When a king bed room became available which we duly took the next day, we were very disappointed to be given a room that although designated non smoking, had clearly been smoked in by the previous occupant. We then had to change rooms again to a third room which was smoke free, so we were finally settled. This room was charged to us at the full room rate of $169.15 for the night of 03/28/10. Heather dealt with these problems and very kindly arranged for some chocolate dipped strawberries and a bottle of champagne to be delivered to our room which was a nice touch.

The meal, room reduction and strawberries etc were nice touches but on reflection we don't feel were fully compensated for the overall inconvenience we were put through and I don’t think that in light if these experiences we could recommend the hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple

814 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Weston, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

I thought this was a very nice hotel. I read many mixed reviews while searching for a hotel in Sarasota. Clean and friendly. We had six children traveling within our group ranging from 2 up to 16. The pool was very nice. They could use a few more lounge chairs, That was the only challenge at the pool. The front desk attendants were very friendly and welcoming. Sunday morning we had a very nice breakfast in the Hotel. We traveled in our own car to Siesta Beach instead of taking the shuttle to Lido beach and the beach was gorgeous. White soft sand. We had a very nice time.St. Armand's circle is a must see for a flavor of great restaurants and pretty shops. The Shore surf shop was awesome.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
sctiger
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Hyatt Sarasota for 3 nights for a wedding of a friend. They had reserved a block, so we really didn't look for any other options out of convenience...mistake #1. Upon arrival we pulled to the front door to unload and check in to our room. The valet was $17/night or you could park yourself in the same lot for free...so we chose the latter. When we pulled up, the attentive Valet asked if he could help, and when I told him I was going to run inside to grab our room key, he replied, "give me your car key!" I told him I intended to park myself, and he replied in an incredibly rude and sarcastic tone, "I have to have your key anyway, even if you don't want to pay to Valet." Mind you our car was still loaded down with luggage and other personal belongings.
So with the first bad taste in my mouth, we proceeded to the check-in where a very nice trainee helped us, and even asked if we wanted a marina view! What she forgot to ask is if we had a smoking preference, and simply put us on a smoking floor! We quickly called down, and the front desks promptly moved us to another room. The only issue was the room's AC hardly worked, and even when set at 62 degrees, the room never got below 75!! When asked if there was anything to be done, the hotel replied, close your curtains (which somewhat defeats the purpose of staying on a marina...correct)? and when the AC was on (the entire time) is sounded like a leaf blower!
In summary, they Hyatt is a very pretty hotel with decent upgrades, but I guess it thinks they are to compete with the Ritz across the street with $4.00 croissants, $5.0 sides of Bacon, or just break down and pay the $20.00 for the breakfast buffet. Next time we are in Sarasota, I would look for a different hotel, and not settle on the Hyatt.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
FL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2010

Just stayed at this Hyatt for a large group convention, and I was not as pleased as I had hoped to be. Room requests were unable to be honored, the banquet food was seriously subpar (poor selection, runny eggs, repetitive selection), and service was unprofessional. Generally not terrible, but also not fantastic.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Plantsville, CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

I stayed here for five nights in February, 2010. The property is wonderfully located on the bay; there are large windows in every room. The rooms were stylish and comfortably appointed. The beds were perfect and the linens luxurious.

The customer service is top-notch. My partner had difficulty connecting to the Internet provider (for which this hotel charges a surcharge, about $10 a day). He took his laptop to the front desk and they spent about a half hour helping him connect, only to have him return to our room and find it wasn't working.

The staff apologized profusely when he had to make a second trip to the lobby for additional help. They fixed the problem quickly and courteously. He mentioned we wanted to switch to the bay side of the hotel for our remaining three nights. Not only did they arrange that, they upgraded us to a deluxe balcony room and slipped breakfast vouchers under our door good for the remainder of our stay.

A word about their restaurant. We enjoyed the complementary breakfast buffet immensely--the staff (greeters, waitpersons) were very friendly and went out of their way to ensure everything was perfect. The buffet itself was the best I'd ever had, with a wide variety of delicious baked goods (breads, pound cake, muffins, croissant and danish); oatmeal with interesting "fixings;" fresh fruit; at least two egg dishes; a special dish such as apple crepes with vanilla sauce (yummy); bacon and sausage; and either french toast or waffles each day. Coffee and juices were all-you-could-drink.

We had a light dinner there one night, consisting of a Cobb salad for one of us and an assortment of side dishes (macaroni and cheese, roasted vegetables and yucca fries) for the other. The food was fresh, well-served and well-prepared and so plentiful neither of us could come close to finishing.

The fitness center was spacious. It had plenty of machines and exceptional amenities such as headsets for TV or music and your choice of heated or chilled towels.

The pool was lovely, with several waterfalls. The hot tub also featured a waterfall. There were plentiful towels, lots of chaise lounges, soft music piped in, a bar where you could get drinks and snacks: who could ask for more?

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
ny
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

I stayed at the Hyatt for 3 nights. It's a pretty place and very comfortable and not pretentious. The food across the board was pretty great -- ask for the iced coffee at breakfast, it's the best! The servers at the restaurant were friendly and accommodating, Stephannie and Gregory were extremely friendly.
My room was a bit dusty -- there was no 'Do Not Disturb' signs or a room service menu. Missing those things are annoying and having to call the front desk for them was also a waste of time -- housekeeping brought me the breakfast menu. Luckily I found a housekeeper on my floor who quickly got me what I was looking for. The housekeeping team is a bit noisy as they clean -- I could hear them in the hallway and in the rooms next to mine. The pool is heated and clean -- the bar at the pool is nice and the bartenders are quick and friendly. If you want a chair, get there early as there aren't enough for the amount of people at the pool.
I would stay here again -- I just wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking for a true resort feel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
Kings Park, N.Y.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2010

Great Hotel with wonderful service! Convenient location to downtown. Super buffet breakfast. Would come again

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hyatt Regency Sarasota? Share your experiences!