“Great getaway!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Venice, Florida
“Great getaway!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

My husband surprised me with a quick get-a-way to celebrate our 15th anniversary. We are local and had to work that day and the next, so this was a quick visit but so great! When learning this was our anniversary, they made sure even a short visit was extra special. They gave us a room with great view of the canal (which was very nicely decorated) and special gift. We take get-a-ways quite often and even though we live only 30 minutes away, would choose the Hyatt again. So wonderful!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, July 13, 2013
Again, happy anniversary! We were glad to make your special stay even more special and we hope to have the opportunity to have you back in the hotel again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Stayed here two nights while on business/ vacation. Clean, comfortable with helpful team.
Left early am and forgot expensive watch in room. Called next day & housekeeping had turned it in. Doubt this would have been the case at a motel on Rt 41. Good job.

• Stayed June 2013
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write your review and I am glad we were able to get your watch back to you.Housekeeping does a great job at making sure they get everything that our guests forget down into a secure place as quickly as possible. We hope to see you again soon.
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Nice property and we had a great weekend but check in was delayed, the hotel has slow elevators and the topper they wanted $9.95 for wifi. I'm typing right now sitting at a Delta gate for free at TPA but Hyatt is charging for wifi...that's just ridiculous. Staff bent over backward to make our stay enjoyable and were successful, just a couple things need shored up by Hyatt corporate types.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback in regards to your recent stay. I am pleased you found the staff to be very friendly and accommodating. I will share your feedback regarding the elevators and Wi-Fi with our management team. Thank you for choosing to stay at Hyatt Regency Sarasota. I hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future!

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Sarasota, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We decided to have a weekend at home away from home at the Hyatt Regency Sarasota. The hotel we were told was recently renovated, but not sure if that means since it was built 25 or more years ago or recently like last year? There was definitely a nasty smell in the hallways and the room smelled musty. It was so much so that we decided to leave the day we checked in. We did spend a short time at the pool first and it was just ok stuck between the hotel and a little marina. The room did not appear well maintained and clean. It's a shame there are no nice hotels on the beach in Sarasota. Even the Ritz is on the same street as the Hyatt on the bridge between downtown and the beach. It is not beach friendly for vacationers unless you rent someone's condo and stay there. You would think Sarasota would have some beautiful beach front resorts but the ones they do have on the beach are not what you would hope for. They are disappointing so say the least as was this Hyatt which is closer to downtown than the beach.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your candid feedback regarding your recent experience at our property. It is extremely disappointing to hear that your stay did not meet expectations. Please know this is not what our guests should expect while staying at our property. I have shared your comments regarding the hallways and room with our management team. If you would like to discuss your experience further please do not hesitate to contact us directly. I hope we can have the opportunity to welcome you back to our property in the future.

Brock S. – A Guest Relations Associate
Naples, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Not usually a public reviewer type but I just have to show how BAD my one night stay Hyatt Regency Sarasota was... Ready, GO!

I booked a package direct on Hyatt's site that advertised an early 3pm check-in, a 1pm late checkout, non-smoking King to include breakfast for two either in the restaurant or room service. This is the mess that transpired:

Arrived at the the hotel right about 3pm, waited outside my car for a valet/bellman/doorman to greet us. Not a soul around and I began wondering if I was at the correct entrance. Finally after nearly 10 minutes a bellman shows up.

Upon checking in I was promptly told that check-in time was 4pm. I replied that I bought a package that included early check-n. Well sir, I'm sorry but we do not have rooms available. I persisted and she magically found a room.

Next I confirmed that we will have a late check out at 1pm. She says no, check out time is noon. Again I reminded her of the package and she said that no, late check out is 2pm and I'll have to call the desk in the morning to see if there will be availability.

She then hands me a breakfast voucher for the restaurant. I told her we booked a package that included room service. No, she says but eventually agrees to make it OK to use for in room dining.

Exasperated...

So, get to the room, tidy with a balcony and a very small bathroom. OK, not so bad. A bumpy start for sure.

Now down to the pool deck for a late lunch. We take a seat at an available table in the poolside restaurant. After a lengthy wait a server greets us and before we can say a word he informs us that we will have to leave in 30 minutes so they can prep for a private party. So, drinks, food, check and we rushed out.

Grabbed some chairs across the other side. Not only did a private party NOT happen, were were then informed by the cocktail server that she was going off shift and would we please order so we can settle our check.

Meanwhile, I go to the gift shop to pick up a magazine. There were four to choose from. I grab one and go to the cashier, now I'm told that they do not accept room charges. Like I always bring a wad of cash with me when I go swimming....

Still trying to maintain a cheerful attitude I walk back to my chair. Along the way I am having to dodge a bunch of cigarette butts strewn along the walkway.

Apparently the "non-smoking" #HyattRegencySarasota does allow smoking on the pool deck... and of course on the room balconies. Next thing you know everybody around us is lighting up... Starting to lose it now.

We bail out and head back to the room, grab a glass of wine and step out to our balcony to enjoy the view. Next thing you know we are inundated with smoke.

Enough. We change and head out for dinner. At the front door we ask the valet/bellman/doorman to hail a cab. He says he'll have to call for one, goes inside I suppose to make the phone call, then comes back and says it will be 15 minutes or so.

Really?

We get back later from dinner and the room smells of cigarette smoke. I call the front desk and they said they would check it out. Called me back to tell me they couldn't smell anything and would I like my room deodorized. At midnight? I don't think so!

We crash and the next thing you know its 5am and the dudes next to us come party hearty back to their room and start having some kind of festival. I knock on the adjoining room door and ask them to please quiet down.

They blew me off so I called the #HyattRegencySarasota front desk to ask for help. They send up security and things quiet down a little.

Now they are smoking, and not just a little bit. I call the front desk to complain and the agent says "Are they on their balcony?" They do not have a balcony... smh.

I give up and decide that heat and street noise is better than trying to sleep in a smoking parlor so I open the balcony door... Needless to say we did not get any more sleep.

I had left the door knob menu hanging for our morning breakfast. It clearly stated that it needs to be on the door by 10pm, which of course it was but when we got back from dinner at 11:30 its still there, so I'm thinking room service is not going to happen.

Actually, to my surprise and delight breakfast arrives at the requested time. The server asked me if we would like the table. Yes, that would be nice. She leaves and I go to raise the leaves on the table.

They are stuck and won't raise.

I take the lids off the plates to unveil what was probably the most disgusting plates of breakfast slop I have ever seen.

We gave up and left... To the hotel's credit they did comp the room, but not until after I demanded they do so.

Never again #HyattRegencySarasota

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ChrisLevine, Director of Sales at Hyatt Regency Sarasota, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write your review. I understand that you have already spoken with my General Manager regarding the issues that experienced. While this certainly does not make up for your experience, please know that we will continue to strive for better customer service. I apologize for the lack of communication and I hope we can welcome you again to turn your opinion around.
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is our first choice for hotels in Sarasota when visiting. The staff are very friendly and helpful, always cheerful. Our last stay in March was great as always. The rooms are spacious, very clean and I do like the balconies. We've never had an issue. We have friends in Siesta Key and this makes our stay a little different because sometimes we stay with our friends and when we don't we hang out at the beach there. At this hotel, there is a very upscale pool, but not large. Also, there is no beach. The hotel is bright, sunny, and walking in to the hotel makes you feel good. The option of valet or nearby self-parking is great. To be candid, the only negative is the distance from the hotel to our friends on Siesta Key. At the north end of Sarasota, the drive is much longer in the traffic (but there are short cuts). However, a convenience of staying at the north side of Sarasota is the hotel is closer to the airport and the Ringling Museum. Will always stay here as it consistently exceeds our expectations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I will pass on the positive reviews to the appropriate departments. We hope to see you again soon so we can exceed your expectations yet again.
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed here for 7 nights at the end of May. The problems started when I made the reservation online. The website did not allow me to select a "king" room, only a "standard" room. I called the day I made the reservation to request a "king" room, and then called again about a month before arrival, and called again the morning we were arriving to be told that there were no "king" rooms available. After being put on hold for several minutes, a "manager" gets on the phone and says there will be a $25/day charge to upgrade us to a suite. At this point I should have cancelled my reservation! Throughout the week we had nothing but a constant string of minor issues. The first couple days the person in the room next to us would sit on the balcony and smoke all morning and all night, and other guests were slamming doors at all hours the entire week. There was construction work going on under our room, a couple mornings we were woken up by concrete saws. Also, one morning we opened the curtains to find a man in a tree across from our room, trimming the palm tree. The overall look and feel of the hotel was nice. The room itself was not clean. The carpet was filthy and constantly damp, and the tile floors were black. The grounds around the hotel and the parking lot could use some cleaning and straightening. I would have to think twice about staying at this hotel again. There are better hotels in the area, especially for this price!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. In an effort to have our guests enjoy their stay, there have been signs permanently placed on all floors reminding them that quiet hours start at 9:00 pm daily and I apologize that you were awoken by slamming doors. The construction that you heard was most likely the building of the fire pit and we had asked if the noise be kept to a minimum until later in the morning thus not to disrupt our guests. Again, I apologize for the inconvenience. Our housekeeping staff works diligently to maintain the hotel and I will make sure to let them know your findings and work specifically on this room. On a separate note, the hotel is looking into the possibility of replacing all guestroom carpet in the near future. It is my hope that you will give the hotel another shot at converting you into a fan as your experience was less than perfect. Please let me know when you plan to stay in Sarasota again.

Been to Hyatt Regency Sarasota? Share your experiences!