“poor service/staff/response” 1 of 5 stars
Review of BEST WESTERN PLUS Siesta Key Gateway

You added BEST WESTERN PLUS Siesta Key Gateway to your Saves list
BEST WESTERN PLUS Siesta Key Gateway
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   6600 S. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34231 (Formerly Holiday Inn Express)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Stay 2X get $50 gift card
Ranked #11 of 46 Hotels in Sarasota
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston, Massachusetts
“poor service/staff/response”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

The hotel itself is fine for what it is. The breakfast was good. However the staff and General Manager are lacking in professionalism. We had in an incident where the housekeeping staff (presumably) used our bathroom and when we notifed the front desk/mgmt spoke with the General Manager who had absolutely no compassion for the situation. Was told there would be a followup, never heard from mgmt/staff ever again. Felt like the matter was completely ignored.
Next day, after housekeeping had cleaned the room, no clean towels left at all. Staff is inept.
Location of this hotel, although convenient, it is noisey because of the major roadways nearby. No view except of all commerical real estate/shopping plazas around you. After posting this review we will probably see a response from hotel mgmt, but too little too late. Plenty of other nice hotels in the area to spend your money on.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
SiestaHotelMgr, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Siesta Key Gateway, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Thank you for your review. Your review states that a housekeeper presumably used your bathroom but your room had not been serviced. This unfortunately, does not sound as if it was our staff that had been in your room. If we did not leave towels for you during your stay, that is not part of our normal service unless you hang your towels up as indicated on the bathroom signage or you leave your do not disturb sign out on your door. We apologize for this if it is the case as it is not normal procedure.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Apopka, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

I actually was surprised at this hotel after reading some of the reviews..I went to see for myself on a business trip and I am so glad I stayed. The hotel staff upon and arrival and departure were excellent! I will stay again!! The breakfast surpised me! French toast & fresh fruit with all the other normal good stuff. I must say the fitness room was AMAZING!! New equipment I thank you so much!! All in good working order and CLEAN!! This hotel staff and room far exceeded my expectations! Room had fridge and micro!! Great location to shops and eating establishments. I walked around near the hotel and glad I did. Thanks for making my time away from home easy!! EXCELLENT JOB!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and we are delighted that you decided to give us a try and we were able to exceed your expectations. So glad you like our breakfast since it is something that we do pride ourselves on, adding fresh items and rotating them to keep the choices varied for our guests. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We have just returned from a 7 night stay. We went to Sarasota for a family wedding and did a lot of research of hotels in the area prior to booking.
The hotels close to the beach were very expensive but this hotel was very reasonable and in a very good location for all attractions including Siesta Key, and not that far from Longboat Key and St Armands circle. There are also lots of shops and places to eat quite close to the hotel.
The room was very clean, lovely comfy bed, tea & coffee making facilities in the room along with a fridge and microwave and large flatscreen TV. The breakfast was included in the price and there was a varied selection of food including hot stuff that changed daily. The pool area was very pleasant with pool towels and sun loungers. The staff were very helpful and popcorn, cookies and tea & coffee were available free. We really enjoyed our stay and would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool have a nicer view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights. Wanted to be near Siesta Key beaches but not pay too high a rate. This hotel was clean, staff was pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was excellent. Kudos to the breakfast lady who worked so hard each day keeping everything replenished, fresh, and always with a smile. Access to restaurants, beach, and shopping was quite good. Also a laundry for customer use. On the other hand, the hotel seems dated and the rooms are small. Although small, they provided good lighting, refrig, microwave, good-sized desk area, lots of other "flat" areas for keeping your things convenient, and an easy chair (our room had only one bed, a king........I don't think there would be space for an easy chair in a two-bedded room). Don't expect luxury, but you do get what you need clean and with a smile and not too big a bill!

Hartford, Connecticut, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

The room was clean and the daliy service was excellent. The staff at the desk was always cheerful, helpfull, and prompt. The morning breakfast although the exact same every day was certainly adequate. The only negative was at night you could hear alot of traffic activity that usually died off after midnight. I would most definately stay here again as it is only 5 minutes to Siesta key Beach. The #1 rated beach in the USA and in my opinion anywhere!!!

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Lawrence, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I stayed at the Best Western Plus Gateway Siesta Key from April 22, 2013 - April 27, 2013.
Not to far of a DRIVE from Siesta Key Beach, but not normal walking distance. I have been traveling every year/every other year for about 15 years. Have stayed at this hotel when it was under the Holiday Inn Express ownership. Siesta Key is a beautiful beach. Nice beautiful cool white sand with beautiful crystal blue/green easy to swim in gulf water. While I still love the beach, and one my favorites, I find it to be to a little CROWDED and VERY DIFFICULT TO PARK. You gotta get there by 930-10am to find a spot. Also to rent chairs is quite expensive, $37.00 for two lounge chairs and umbrella. While they will bring the umbrella down towards the water for you and put it in the sand, they will not take the chairs UNLESS YOU LET THEM KNOW YOU WILL BE TIPPING THEM WELL... They also require $5 dollar deposit for each item which is refunded to you when YOU BRING ALL BACK yourself.
Now to the hotel.
We stayed in an executive king room (we wanted some more space) it was OK. Had a microwave, toaster oven, blender, two cabinets, counter area and fridge. The room had two full baths. King bed... comfort of bed was OK. Room was clean, however, the daily housekeeping was very basic. They just basically made the bed, changed some towels. No effort to make the room as made up as nice as when you first checked in. The pool is beautiful. The hot tub decent. The sitting area decent. They do offer pool towels. Pool towels are just a tad larger than a dish towel they are not soft, very rough and old and worn out. Basically felt like sandpaper when you dry yourself off. They really need to splurge and get larger and better quality towels. I would suggest to make sure you bring your own.
Used laundered car wash towels is how I would describe them.
The staff, so/so. Lot of the time there was no one present at the front desk and you would have to wait for them to appear.
The most negative experience had to be when my digital camera went missing from the room which I know is hard to prove, was told by front desk had to wait for GM BONNIE to come in the next morning, so I did. Spoke to her about it her response to me was "NO ONE TOOK YOUR CAMERA" that was it. She was rude and obnoxious. She did not even try to discuss anything with me, hear me out, or anything or to even say if we do find it we will mail it to you or I am going to look into this more. Nothing. I guess I just had to suck it up. Breakfast was so/so. This hotel is less than a block off a main drag (Tamiami Trail) so large trucks tend to use the parking area and lot of hotel to cut through. It can be very noisy. Also early in the am a garbage truck comes for like 10 minutes and is EXTREMELY LOUD.
Hotel does have beautiful gardens around and nice areas to sit.
The good news is that I needed to check out late. The check out time for this hotel is 10AM. I had a late flight and they did comp to me the day. Normal would charge $135.00 for the late check out. I guess maybe had to do with my stolen digital camera. Good hotel for business travelers or a 1 or 2 night visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
SiestaHotelMgr, General Manager at BEST WESTERN PLUS Siesta Key Gateway, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was surprised to read that you didn't take advantage of our free, on-demand shuttle service to anywhere on Siesta Key from the hotel which operates from 10AM to 2 AM everyday. This would have alleviated your parking issues at Siesta Beach. I was sorry to read that you lost your camera. We do provide in-room safes large enough for a laptop but cannot be held responsible for an item that you may have lost. We do appreciate your input and hope that you will continue to stay with the Best Western brand.
new york
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

I stayed at the BWP Siesta Key and the keyword is 'gateway.' It is nowhere near Siesta Key and you pretty much have to drive if you want to get there. The Siesta Key Beach is nice and the town is not exactly charming but worth a visit. (The food there is overpriced and rather mediocre, but there are plenty of places to buy ice cream if that is your thing,) Parking is difficult.
The hotel has a serviceable breakfast- even whole wheat bread!!. And you can come down before 9:30 am load up on a bunch of fruit and bring it back to your room to eat it after you go back to sleep. Oh- speaking of sleep- you will be awakened every morning by a very loud garbage truck that does its' thing right across from the parking lot at about 7:15 am or so. But it does leave quicky enough. The front desk is hit and miss. They are absent alot and so if you need something you might have to come back a few times until they show up. But they are generally professional when they are there. I found the rooms clean and the housekeeping staff efficient. In short, this hotel is basic, but if you want to be near the Siesta Beach and town there are worse places to be. If you want to be closer to Sarasota- it is quite a quaint, interesting place- there is a BW a few miles from the city also on 41.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is on opposite side from parking lot- if that is possible.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I was disappointed to read that you were not impressed with the area including Siesta Key Village, a quaint and charming hot spot on the island. Our hotel property is actually under 1 mile from the public beach accesses on Siesta Key, named the #1 beach in the US. We clearly identify its location and proximity to the island on our website and map located on our website. We appreciate that you were satisfied with the cleanliness of our property and your room. I am unsure as to why the desk seemed to be lacking in presence but will certainly address this issue with our staff. We appreciate your time and hope you will continue to patronize the Best Western brand in the future.

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Siesta Key Gateway? Share your experiences!