“Musty” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Days Inn Sarasota

You added Days Inn Sarasota to your Saves list
Days Inn Sarasota
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5000 N. Tamiami Trail, Sarasota, FL 34234 (Formerly Rodeway Inn)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save 25% Summer Sale
Ranked #38 of 46 Hotels in Sarasota
Toronto, Canada
“Musty”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

The room we stayed in smelled musty/moldy. Mold was in the washroom. The telephone did not work at all times. Service was horrible after we reported insufficient toilet paper no one came to give us supplies. The only consolation was a referral by a friendly desk clerk to a nice local Chinese restaurant called yummy Chinese food packed with snowbirds and retirees.

Stayed February 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Wisconsin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

Where to begin....Drapes broken and nailed to wall, cigarette burn in god awful filthy chair, stains on comforter that would scare a CSI team, cigarette butt floating in toilet, mold on shower curtain, filthy refrigerator, shower head height is ok if you are vertically challenged (like under 5 foot tall), and slept with light on and chair and table propped in front of door....was hoping not to end up on an episode of Cops. If there was a highlight. ..The girl at the front desk was nice.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Normal, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

When we walked into our room, there was a used bra laying on one of the beds, there was a huge stain on both comforters, the towels in the bathroom had been used, three cockroaches came up from the sink and shower, and the toilet did not work. I went and asked for a different room, only to find out that our next room was just as bad. In this room, there were huge stains on the comforters, our door would not fully shut or lock, there was a dead bug smeared on one of our sheets, and the toilet stopped working again. The next morning we told the staff how awful our experience had been and she was extremely unprofessional about the whole situation and argued with me when I asked for a refund. I would rather be shot in the foot than stay here again. Lastly, if you are a family wanting to stay here, I would highly advise you not to because a family would not be safe staying here.

Room Tip: Just pick a different hotel to stay at. Don't stay here!
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rowlett, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I used to stay here frequently on visits to Sarasota when this property was branded as a Comfort Inn; this was my first stay here as a Rodeway Inn. Other than the signage, I noticed no real changes between this stay and my previous ones.

My room was a large with one king bed, second floor. The room and bathroom were both clean, and unlike the experience of some other reviewers, I had no complaints whatsoever about the room, the quality of its furnishings, its cleanliness, or its aroma. The internet connection worked flawlessly. The bed was comfortable and I got a good night's sleep.

Room had a coffeemaker, ironing board, iron, and a fridge but no microwave. The TV is an older tube type, not flat screen.

I've included some pictures of my room as it was when I checked in, so that those reading these reviews can get a first-hand view of what to expect when staying here.

The one minor thing to be aware of is that the toilets sometimes require multiple flushes to dispose of their contents - seems to be a design issue, as I remember encountering the same problem on other stays. It's no big deal unless they clog; last time I stayed here (as a Comfort Inn) I had to fetch a plunger from the front desk. This time, I didn't have to do that.

I did not sample the breakfast and so cannot comment on it.

Other reviewers have commented on the neighborhood, and, yes, it's not the greatest part of town. The motel is located just a few minutes drive from the Sarasota Bradenton Airport, at the north end of a rather long strip of inexpensive to moderately-priced motels along US 41/Tamiami Trail, and while there are a few other branded properties nearby (such as Super 8), there are quite a number of older motels, some of which are quite run down, and many of which attract ... well ... a certain type of trade. I did not notice any activity at this motel, and, for the most part, it's probably sufficiently north of the more seedier parts of the strip, but those who may have concerns might want to do a drive-by or two of the neighborhood before deciding to stay at any of the properties around here. Having said that, I don't wish to imply in any way that any inappropriate activity was taking place at this particular motel, but I do think it's appropriate to pass along general observations of the neighborhood in which it is located for those who may be considering staying here.

For those who are members of the Choice Privileges frequent guest program, be aware that the rebranding of this property from Comfort Inn to Rodeway Inn does directly impact one's earnings in Choice Privileges both from a normal point accumulation standpoint as well as during bonus promotions. For example, Choice Privileges often offers various flavors of a "stay twice, earn a free night" promotion, which can be very lucrative for even those who travel infrequently. At Comfort Inn, a "stay" is typically considered 1 night, but now, as a Rodeway Inn, a "stay" requires two consecutive nights instead of one. For those who care about such things, it is often more advantageous to pay a little more and stay at the nearby Sleep Inn, particularly when such promotions are active, since a "stay" at Sleep Inn only requires one night.

Various discounts (AAA, AARP, association) are available when booking at the brand website.

Room Tip: For those concerned about the neighborhood, a second or third floor room might be a better choice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

We were very surprised when we stayed here. Nothing was clean. Sheets weren't clean. Sheets were stained with cigarette burns. Bathrooms were not clean. We had to leave. Ask for our money back. It's not in good shape.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Lakeland, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

My overall experience with this hotel was horrible there was nothing to enjoy.The food was stale,the coffee tasted like black mud, the entrance smelled of musk and mildew. The service was horrible when we asked for towels no one was ever available to bring them. When we asked for a microwave for our room or a room with a microwave we didn't receive that which we needed because the breakfast they served was horrible, why would you have bagels but you don't have cream cheese or butter that's just ghetto. Mildew on the sheet spreads and they also smelled like they haven't been washed since the last visitor, me and my girls were afraid to go to sleep it needs a lot of updating. I stayed that night and left the next morning. Will not be back ever.

Room Tip: No tip, except stay away from this hotel
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2013

This place is a typical, run down roadway inn. It was super cheap, and I was desperate. Rooms smell and free hot breakfast is disgusting (it's a good thing coffee loft is across the street). I hope to never have to stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013