“Gumbo Limbo – Key West Suite review” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Gumbo Limbo Vacation Rentals Inc.

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Sarasota
Gumbo Limbo Vacation Rentals Inc.
You added Gumbo Limbo Vacation Rentals Inc. to your Saves list
5610 Avenida Del Mare, Sarasota, FL 34242   |
Atlanta
“Gumbo Limbo – Key West Suite review”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

As you read the reviews you will see the name “Virginia” come up quite a bit. There is a reason for that because Virginia runs Gumbo Limbo and is very personable and very easy to work with. She is definitely concerned about your comfort and that everything will be in order for your stay. She does a great job.

We recently celebrated my father’s 85th birthday in Siesta Key and decided on Gumbo Limbo after reading many reviews. We were not disappointed and have some updates to some of the older reviews you may read on this site.

The Key West Suite has 2 bedrooms & a den with 2 full baths. One bedroom has a king, one has two twins and the den has a queen. Now the den does have a partial wall but does open into the dining room/living room area. There is not a closet for the person staying in the den; they would need to use a closet in one of the other bedrooms. The den also is where the washer/dryer is tucked away and has one of the full baths while the two bedrooms share a bathroom in the hallway. For some, they may require more privacy for the den area but it was not a problem for us. Speaking of beds, all beds were comfortable with nice mattresses. One other thing, the den area does not have an A/C vent, nor does its bathroom. Again, it was not an issue for us. The living room does have 2 sofas, one may be a sleeper sofa but I would not recommend it.

This unit is on the 2nd floor and it does have 2 stairways, one is the main stairway with a balcony that has a table, chairs and umbrella. This leads into the living room area. The back stairway also has a smaller balcony with some chairs and leads into the bedroom with the king size bed.

The entire unit had nice furnishings including a flat screen TV and DVD player in the living room (a past review mentions a tube TV – it is gone). The kitchen was well equipped including microwave, dishwasher, pots, pans, utensils, coffee maker, toaster and a blender. For the most part you just need to provide paper goods like paper towels, napkins, maybe toilet paper. There are plenty of towels but you do need to bring your own beach towels.

The dining room has a large table with six chairs. This is also the area that receives the best signal for the free Wi-Fi (the router is in the next building).

The pool area we found to be very nice. Lots of plant life, a good size pool (5 1/2 feet deep) if all of the guests staying there aren’t in the pool, lounge chairs and tables. There is a nice gas grill (the light does work (reported not working in a previous review)) in the pool area that we and other guests took advantage of. There are a couple of outdoor showers to rinse off as well.

You may need to watch your parking. It may depend how many others are at Gumbo Limbo but you should be able to park at least 2 cars and maybe a third if any of the driveways are available (no parking on the grass).

The location of Gumbo Limo is great. A ½ block off the “main drag”, Ocean Blvd and a very short walk to one of the best beaches you will ever visit. One thing about Siesta Key is they have a lot of parking and access areas to their beaches and I could not find a parking meter anywhere. It is just under a mile to the village and a little further to get to the bridge that takes you back into Sarasota (and a nearby Publix (10 min away) as the closest major grocery store. There are some markets on Siesta Key if you wish). At Gumbo Limbo they have beach chairs and umbrellas you can take with you to the beach. Speaking of getting to the village, you could walk or use one of the free electric cart shuttle services that are available. They work off of tips so you don’t have to worry about parking or being a little too wasted to drive.

One restaurant I do want to recommend it Captain Curt’s. On someone else’s recommendation we had an excellent seafood dinner experience there. Quite casual and laid back but then again so is most of Siesta Key. It is located by the bridge that takes you back over to Sarasota.

Room Tip: Past reviews say to choose a second floor unit. We were happy..not sure how the bottom floor unites...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Schenectady, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We stayed at Gumbo Limbo in January in one of the first floor apartments. It's about as close as you can get to the beach without being right on it, and close enough to walk into Siesta Key. Everything in the place was bright and cheery and very clean. Virginia, the owner really seems to care about her guests. I left a pair of sandals behind, and she was very helpful in getting them back to me. It was so much nicer than staying in a big hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Gilbertsville, PA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We just returned from a week at Gumbo Limbo's Royal Palm Suite. This location was perfect--steps from the beach and only a short walk into the village. This suite was very roomy, nicely decorated and so clean. The pool area was mostly shady and tropical--but appeared larger in the photos. A few chairs around the pool were rusted and I was a bit afraid of catching my feet on the bottom of a few of those rusted chair legs. There was ample room around the pool for our party of 10, but anymore would have been tight! The gulf views were excellent from all windows and decks. There were chairs and umbrellas for use on the beach--although the chairs were very low to the sand and hard to get in and out of for some of us middle-aged visitors! I would definitely recommend Gumbo Limbo Royal Palm Suite to my friends! We couldn't have asked for a better location or view!

Room Tip: Go for the Royal Palm Suite or another 2nd floor suite, as others in our party had the 1st floor and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Wheaton, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We recently stayed in the beautiful Royal Palm Suite at Gumbo Limbo and had a wonderful time. It was so close, everyday we walked barefoot to the beach! Siesta Key Beach was voted the most beautiful beach in the USA for 2011 and it is perfect. The sand is 95% quartz so it never gets hot even if it is 100 degrees. They have a machine which rakes the beach every morning so it always looked beautiful. On Mon,Wed & Fri there is Yoga on the beach.
Gumbo Limbo supplies everything you need for the beach; towels, chairs, sand pails and even surf boards and tubes. There is also a lovely pool to relax in at days end or while you are cooking your dinner at the grill. One little extra which is great is an outdoor shower to wash off the sand.

The accommodations were very clean and spacious. The beds and bedding were plush and there were 2.5 bathrooms! Having 3 balconies to enjoy gave us individual space as well as together time to sit and view the water and the beautiful sunrises or sunsets. The cute little town is a 20 minute walk away and has great restaurants and bars. Or there is a free shuttle you can call and have them pick you up and you just pay tips.
The kitchen had everything we needed and having meals on the deck was perfect & made us glad we weren't at home in the below freezing weather. The location is so close to the beach, that it is convenient to walk the 3 minutes and come back for lunch. Or on the beach just 2 minutes further are a couple of takeout restaurants and bathrooms.
The owner was very friendly and helpful, showing us around upon our arrival and letting us know she was available at any time during our stay by phone if we needed her for anything.
Gumbo Limbo is a perfect choice for a relaxing stay in a beautiful home.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Murrells Inlet, South Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We rented the Key West suite at Gumbo Limbo for a quick 3 day family get together. The property is in an ideal location, just steps away from the Gulf of Mexico, and a few blocks from the village. Our suite was on the 2nd floor and is advertised as 2 bedroom 2 baths.

I can not say enough how friendly Virginia is. While we never met her in person, we did speak several times on the phone and she is very willing to help with any and everything. The unit itself was immaculately clean. The bathrooms are absolutely gorgeous, and there were plenty of towels stocked. This unit was the perfect size for our family of 4 adults.

The pool outside is beautiful, but it is much smaller than the photos make it appear. It's almost a bit crowded with all of the vegetation and lighting at night leaves a lot to be desired. It appeared that we may have been the only occupants of Gumbo Limbo for the time we were staying. There may have been people in the 3 bedroom unit, but we only glimpsed them. The pool area was perfect for the 4 of us, but I fear that it would have been uncomfortable if all of the units were occupied and all occupants were using the pool.

Some of the quirks and/or areas that could be improved: The TV in the living room is an older tube set, maybe 27", and it did not get the best reception. Some may ask, well who goes on vacation to watch TV? Ask yourself this on about the 2nd full day of steady rain (which we had). Flat screen TV's are so affordable now, it really doesn't make sense to me why this small upgrade hasn't been done, especially considering the nightly rates we were charged.

The kitchen: it was moderately equipped with pots, pans, baking sheets, utensils, etc., however one of the front burners of the stove didn't work at all. The 2 racks inside the oven were covered in multiple layers of foil...I'm assuming to make cleaning easier, however, it greatly affects the cooking temperature. Essentially, the oven takes a very long time to heat up because the heat can't circulate to the thermostat, so by the time it thinks it has reached the correct temperature, it's actually way too hot. We ended up removing the foil so we could properly prepare meals. The burner covers on the stove top are also covered with layers of foil. I think it's time to upgrade to a new range, and leave the foil off.

The A/C situation: Virginia relayed to me when I booked that they had invested quite a bit of money in Gumbo Limbo upgrading things like the wiring and adding central A/C. There is a big sign over the thermostat warning not to set the temperature below 73 or it would freeze. At the risk of being admonished in a management reply, 73 is not a comfortable temperature to me, when it is 78-80 outside. I prefer it cooler, especially to sleep at night. Less than a year old central a/c units should not freeze up at that temperature if they have been properly installed. I personally believe that they don't want you setting it any cooler so they conserve on their energy bill, but we didn't want to risk not having any A/C at all, so we didn't touch it. There is also no a/c vent in the 2nd bathroom, or exhaust fan which makes it hot and muggy when showering. There is no A/C vent in the 'den' where the washer/dryer and entrance to the 2nd bathroom is. This makes that area of the unit the warmest. It is also the only area of the unit that you can see a little sliver of the Gulf from the window.

The 'Den' area is open to the living room, and has the washer and dryer. It also has a 3rd queen size bed. Being 2 couples, my boyfriend and I decided to take that bed, as the 2nd bedroom has only 2 twin beds. With the a/c situation, I eventually ended up in one of the twin beds because that bedroom had an a/c vent and was cooler. I would suggest perhaps adding another divider curtain (like the one over the opening into the dining room) across that door way to add a little privacy. All of the beds were incredibly comfortable, and so was the living room furniture.

The outdoor lighting: The property has a beautiful area for grilling and relaxing by the pool. By about 6 PM this time of year, it is completely dark with very little lighting from the porch lights and light over the grill. We had intended on grilling fresh seafood for dinner while we were there. We found out after dark, that the light over the grill did not work. Virginia was kind enough to talk me over the phone through the garage to try to find a bulb to change out, but the bulb was not the issue. I found this out after being covered in hundreds of baby spiders while trying to switch out the bulb in the dark. Virginia apologized profusely and aid she would send an electrician the next day. The next evening, we came home to find the light still had not been fixed, and we had a call saying that she had not been able to get someone out there .As this was the 2nd night of our only 3 night stay, this was disappointing. My boyfriend ended up going out, dismantling the light and rewiring it, so we could use the grill for dinner.

I'm sure by now it sounds like I'm being nitpicky, but I really would like to emphasize that we had a great time. It's just my personal feeling that some of these issues would greatly improve the experience at little cost to the owners. I'm sure that if the weather had been a little more cooperative during out stay and we weren't forced inside for extended periods of time, some of these minor inconveniences wouldn't have been an issue. I feel that at $900 for a 3 night stay when the place was completely empty that it wasn't a good value. We would leave Gumbo Limbo on the table as a possibility when we return to Siesta Key, but we will probably shop around to see if we could find more updated accommodations at a better rate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

12/15/12
My husband and I stayed for 10 Days at Gumbo Limbo in the 3 bedroom suite and really enjoyed our stay. The suite was spotless and had all of the emenities I look for in a vacation condo. It was very quiet, the pool area was wonderfully lush and quiet as well. The beds were very comfortable and I had a very good night's sleep.
Gumbo Limbo is right across the street from Siesta Beach and we even walked into town by the beach one day for breakfast. Virginia, the owner was extremely helpful and always available if there was anything we needed.This is superior accommodation on Siesta Key and we will return the next time we vacation on Siesta.
Toronto Traveller

Room Tip: the 3 bedroom suite has a deck with a view of the sunset and the beach. Very nice to sit an read or...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

Our family (six of us - my parents, two kids, husband and myself) recently stayed in the Key West Suite at Gumbo Limbo and had a fabulous time. We celebrated my parent's 40th wedding anniversary and also enjoyed a pool-side BBQ celebrating my daughter's 7th birthday. We spent the majority of our days just steps away at the beach with dolphins swimming around us and making sand castles. It was great to have the use of Gumbo Limbo's sand buckets, boogie boards, bikes, swimming toys, and especially the pool. The accomodations were perfect and we'll definitely be back!

Thank you Virginia!!

XO, From Idaho

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gumbo Limbo Vacation Rentals Inc.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Gumbo Limbo Vacation Rentals Inc.

Address: 5610 Avenida Del Mare, Sarasota, FL 34242
Location: United States > Florida > Southwest Gulf Coast > Sarasota
Ranked #4 of 17 Specialty Lodging in Sarasota
Just a stone's throw away from world famous Siesta Key Public Beach. Daily, weekly, monthly and annual rentals. Two beautiful high quality duplexes with award winning tropical landscape design. A sensational heated black bottom pool with rocky mountain quartzite deck, and a rock waterfall. The property sits across the street from the world famous Siesta Key Public Beach within 1/2 mile of Siesta Key Village with its charming shops, restaurants, ice cream stores, grocery, drug stores and banking. ... more   less
Gumbo Limbo Vacation Rentals Inc. Hotel Sarasota

If you own or manage Gumbo Limbo Vacation Rentals Inc., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.