“Worse staff crew! This place shouldn't be offering a service if their management can't treat people right!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Gulf Side Motel

Save Saved
You added Gulf Side Motel to your Saves list
Gulf Side Motel
2.5 of 5 Motel   |   138 Garfield Dr, Lido Beach, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #43 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Sarasota, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

If you wish to be treated with some respect then keep well clear of this hell hole of a hotel and it awful rude staff.
Specially this guy named "NORMAN"
Very condescending. The most rude human being
Very poor housekeeping. I left as soon as possible, I couldn't rest my head on their filthy bedding, and the very bad smell on it (Overall place is falling apart, should be demolished)

I was treated with no respect! Please spend your money wisely, keep well clear of this hell hole of a hotel and it awful rude staff!!!
This people shouldn't be in charge of customer service.

• Stayed March 2014
oceanliver, Owner at Gulf Side Motel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
I tried to respond to this guest but he had
an invalid email. I don t know who they are
or when and if they even stayed here. I do
have a manager named Norman but he is
usually very polite and attentive to guests needs
if he is aware of them. What bothers me more
is your slanderous remarks about the linens etc
You get fresh linens here just like at the
Marriott If your room wasn't t right why didn t
you so immediately. What bothers me about
people of your ilk is you run away trashing
legitimate businesses hiding behind your
computer. If something needs to be addressed
bring it to my attention and I will make every
Effort to satisfy you. Your comments have
No validity and should be removed!

Owner

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

We stayed in the studio, just my husband and I for a long weekend away. The location is AWESOME about 200 yards from the beach you can't ask for more at the price we paid. It's a mom and pop type of establishment ( older style), the manager was very friendly came over and asked us a few times if we were OK and if we needed anything. We travel frequently so there isn't too much we could have asked for. The beds are comfortable, there is plenty of hot water, great water pressure and pretty much all the conveniences of home! There is a community pool across the street and the beach right on the other side of it! The place is very quiet ( no rowdy parties going on) a very peaceful mini vacation we had KUDOS GULF SIDE!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Raymond, New Hampshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2014

If you're looking for starched white sheets, plush carpets, and a view of the gulf out your window, I'm sure there are a plethora of places along Lido Key that will provide that...at 2, 3 times the price.

Staying at the Gulf Side Motel was like being invited to stay at a friend's beach cottage for a few days. Small property, homey, quiet, easy to find, plenty of parking. Everything you need for self-catering. A nice breeze through louvered doors and windows, and an air-conditioner if that's not enough for you. I found it to be very clean and quite comfortable - spacious room, comfy bed, plenty of towels, cleaning products and utensils, television with lots of channels, cool terrazzo floors, great shower. The owners were friendly and available, but not intrusive. Yes, it's an older property. As a result, the appliances are not brand-new and pristine, the walls are a little thin, and it's not bristling with outlets - I'd advise bringing a power strip if, like me, you have a plethora of devices to charge.

But I was there for the beach. So all that aside, 200 steps from your door and you're standing on the cool, powdery sand of Lido Beach. If you're mobility challenged, or have a lot to carry, there's a beach parking lot that cuts that walk down by at least half. There's also a pool, a snack bar, picnic tables, and bathrooms right by said parking lot. St Armands Circle is a half-mile walk away on good, wide sidewalks.

I enjoyed my stay, and hope to go again.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Newton Falls, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

We found the room and the property to be quite dilapidated. If you're looking for quaint and cute, look elsewhere - however, with some care and attention, this could be just that. We're pretty hardy travelers though, so it wasn't anything that sent us running the other way. Bathroom was acceptably clean and had hot running water. Bed, after careful inspection, was deemed to be acceptable though we did bring in our own pillows. The amenities in the kitchenette were questionable - we did use the toaster which was kind of broken, microwave appeared clean, but the sealing edge of the fridge was dirty and possibly moldy, and only dirty sponges were available to clean the dishes. The floor was pretty crunchy when we arrived but a broom was available so we swept up ourselves. It was cheap, though, and location was perfect for what we needed (in town for best friend's wedding at swanky resort that we weren't willing to shell out for). If you can tough it out for a couple of days because you only need a place to wash up and sleep, then go for it. If you're looking for any sort of luxury, then go elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Key Largo, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

In room 109 it was awesome management got us a blender room clean. Beach awesome I will be back!!! They had clean towels. Every item in the condo. Staff was great very helpful and the beach And pool right there great parking

• Stayed June 2013
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

This place should be avoided. It is filthy and disgusting. Dirty,old bedding, dilapidated old stove and appliances, no water from the kitchen faucet,mold on the refrigerator,musty smell,no lock on the door,etc, etc. These operators are ripping off the public. Don't even consider staying here is my advice. I cancelled my stay on arrival and was charged for one night only with the help of hotels.com. Otherwise, these characters would have ripped be off for the entire cost of 8 nights!

• Stayed February 2013
oceanliver, Owner at Gulf Side Motel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
This individual thought he booked a resort not an economy motel. His wife was expecting the Ritz and wanted to leave immediately. All of his remarks are untrue and were made solely to seek a refund from Hotels.com. Within two days of his departure I received a visit from State authorities in response to his slanderous claims. I showed the inspectors the unit he had been booked in and they could see that there were two locks on both doors and that the kitchen appliances were fine and there was water flowing, I received a clean report from them but have had to live with this hateful review for the past year.

owner
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We had a family wedding at an expensive resort, which was a little out of my budget. I found the Gulf Side Motel and secured the 1 bedroom apartment. It was $89 per night. My daughter and I were leary, as I had read some reviews. When we arrived, we were smitten with the charm and decor. We found the unit extremely clean and comfortable. The decor was straight out of the fifties/sixties when built and "Old Florida" feel, with numerous updates, such as flat screen tv, microwave, coffee maker. With our own livingroom, "patio" and kitchen, we invited my older daughter and friends for coffee and breakfast and had a gas. They also loved the place. The management was always available, and when I let them know we had a burnt out bulb, they had one hanging on our door within 3 minutes, respecting our privacy. There was so much space, we used the walk in closet as our dressing room. And the corker? We were across the street, literally 30 seconds from the wedding resort and beach! We saved $111 per night, which at 4 nights was nothing to sneeze at! We were delighted with the Gulf Side. If you want full service and a newer property, pay the $200 per night. We got what we needed, and a lot more. We would definitely stay at the Gulf Side again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Gulf Side Motel? Share your experiences!