“HAPPENING HAPPY HOUR” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Roy's - Sarasota is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #61 of 828 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Seafood, Pacific Rim
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Private Dining
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: South Tamiami Trail
Suttons Bay, Michigan
“HAPPENING HAPPY HOUR”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

We went here for happy hour with my sister and brother-in-law and had a wonderful experience.
Luckily, we got there early and found a great spot in the bar area. This place was cranking by the time we left. We all had several appetizers and they were excellent. The food was so good in fact that we are planning a dinner at Roy's-Chicago in April. Stop here for dinner or appetizers.
You will not be disappointed.
Jim and Linda Munro
Korner Kottage Bed & Breakfast
Suttons Bay, Mi

84% Recommend
Virginia Beach, Virginia
“Super Place for Super Bowl”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Last year, at this time, we were in Sarasota and decided to watch the Super Bowl at Roy's. This year, we started a tradition of going to Roy's on Super Bowl Sunday. Like last year, Roy's was not busy and a reservation was not difficult to make.
One difference from last year is the fact that my wife and I made a comparison visit to the original Roy's in Hawaii (Ko Olina). That gave us a perspective on the "mainland" Roy's. Mr Yamaguchin(Roy) made a good business decision to open on the mainland, because his properties in Hawaii are "truck stops". Case in point the Manager in Sarasota was so engaged with his customers, that everyone in the restaurant were given complimentary appetizers. That wasn't a possibility by the disengaged Hawaiian general manager. The GM in Sarasota was good enough to send us Clams and Mussels. Along with what the manager sent us, we ordered a sushi roll (lailani roll - wygu beef, and tuna). Our main course was Roy's Trio (3 fishes served 3 styles) and a whole snapper (with head and eyes and everything). For dessert we had Pineapple upside down cake and a lemon cheesecake. To a course, it was all great.
There were a couple of irritating issues that kept the score of the visit down. First, was our server. She seemed to be nervous and she rambled on with inane conversation and talk down to us on the menu options like we were 3rd graders. It was unsettling and the care for the table, like pouring wine on a timely manner, was absent. Speaking of wine, that's the 2nd problem with the visit. The wines list is overpriced. "One Hope" chardonnay $36? Really? That bottle retails in the real world for $10. We settled on a $32 bottle of "private label" chardonnay from Rutherford. It was surprisingly good, with a buttery finish.
Next year,If the schedule is right, I'll be back at Roy's having dessert at the bar watching the Super Bowl. You should too, it's not crowded and management treats you right. In fact, management should teach the managers back in Hawaii how to set up and run a restaurant.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Jeannie L, Guest Relations Manager at Roy's - Sarasota, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
I hope you are a Raven's fan! Thank you for your honest review and we're glad you enjoyed Superbowl Sunday with us. We are sorry to hear about the couple of incidents that dampened your experience.

If you visit any of our other locations country-wide, please email me directly at jlee@roysrestaurant.com for your reservation. I will personally ensure that you receive nothing less than service by making your reservation directly with the manager.

Best wishes,
Jeannie Lee @ Roy's
San Diego, California
“Ask for Julie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the best Roy's we have been to. Everyone was really friendly. Julie was our waitress and she was great!!the Calamari was one of the most original and best ever. The Mahi was great. The chicken lacked a little in flavor but was really good.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
We will surely let Julie know of your kind words. Thank you for sharing with us, we know we're extremely fortunate to have her as part of our Ohana.

Mahalo,

Jeannie Lee @ Roy's Restaurant
Sarasota, Florida
“Nice experience:)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband & I visited Roys last night as were generously given a giftcard by a client of my husband's so we decided to drop in & check out the Happy Hour before heading to the movies. Roys restaurant is very chic & seems to be the place for females to hang out & it wasn't even ladies night!
At the bar I was handed a little yellow flower to tuck behind my ear, left if your heart is taken & right side if not. A sweet gesture I think:) The Happy Hour menu suited my husbands taste but for me being a veggie I had to order from the main menu. There are a few Vegetarian dishes to choose from so I opted for the veggie stirfry which was very good but pricey at $15.00. My husband loved his selections which I think one of them was a beef slider, not sure as I don't take a lot of notice what he orders but as long as he enjoys it that's fine! We had a very nice evening but since he Happy Hour doesn't cater for veggie's I think I would probably return with a girlfiend for a drink at the bar area which is a cool place to be:)

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bradenton, Florida, United States
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

We went for a romantic nigh out & had a great time. The food amazing- it is a mélange of flavors that tickles your taste buds as you chew. Although it's a little pricey, it's worth it for food connoisseurs. My husband is a chef and has some pretty high standards. He was very pleased with our meal. My brother was thrilled just to get the leftovers!

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Glad your brother enjoyed the leftovers! Lol. There is no higher compliment than to hear a fellow Chef enjoyed our food, so thank you for letting us know. That means a lot to us, especially our own Chef.

We look forward to welcoming you back.
Jeannie Lee @ Roy's