“Priceless” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #14 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Priceless”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

I'm about to share Sarasota's best kept secret: Hotel Ranola. It is the located. in the heart of shops, restaurants, and a short walk to the Bay Front. The "botique" hotel is in a charming, preserved old building with way cool art deco vibe. Each room has a kitchenette and the rooms are light, airy, funky & comfy. The beds are " cloud 10" and the all-adult hotel is quiet, well managed and maintained. There are only 9 rooms, reasonably priced and each guest is treated like a trusted friend. For me, personally, it was my haven among the madness I was going through. Kathy and her staff went above and beyond to make my husband and I feel very special and very well cared for. Truthfully, it was my shelter in the storm. True heart-felt kindness and personal attention is rare in travel today. Sliding my key card in the outer doors sent me to a place of contentment, and upon entering "my space" let me drift into a "zen-like" state. It felt like home, but better :) Guess you can tell I loved everything and everyone here. I have been blessed to travel all over the world and to stay in castles and 5* hotels fit for royalty. Yet the hospitality of this oasis ranks up there with anything I have ever experienced. One word of warning: If you book my room when I need it, I'll fight for it! Bon nuit.

Room Tip: Spring for #1 or #2. They are suites. They are also on the first floor. No elevator. There are windo...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Mary Esther, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Very easy to earn another star from us: by more presence (Lets a bad taste when desk is only available till 3 pm, when people use to arrive later? You have to go through a complicate process of codes and numbers). Even morning 8pm was desk has been orphaned.
The another issue: miserable WIFI. To be fixed by a new router, that's not rocketscience!
But over all, a neat little hotel from the 1920ies. Great Art Deco rooms. Good restaurants are all around the corner.

• Stayed September 2013
Cape Coral, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This funky chic boutique hotel is in the heart of downtown Sarasota, just a short walk from countless restaurants and shopping. The location really can't be beat. We loved the decor, the huge well-lit rooms, the bar and the full kitchen with it's keurig coffee maker. It was a real treat staying here and the personal attention you get by having the owner there all the time is priceless. You can tell that Kathy cares for her guests, putting the uttermost attention to detail and making you feel like you are staying at a friend's home. She has a wealth of information about what to do, where to dine and about the history not only of this 1920's building but of the city as well. If you are looking for a big pool, 24-7 front desk, room service and an impersonal experience this is not the place for you. If you are looking for a spacious, charming hotel filled with history and character combined with 21st century comfort like free WIFI and flat screen TVs for a great value and in the heart of historic downtown Sarasota then there is no other place for you! We stayed here with my kids 8 and 5 who loved it but this hotel is geared towards couples or solo travelers. My husband went out for a run in the evening and he loved it so much. I can't wait to go back without the kids.

I am a travel writer at 365thingsswfl.com. My stay was comped but my opinions are honest and based on our experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Merida, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

Just stayed at the wonderful Hotel Ranola. This was our second visit there and it is still a delight.
The room (actually a studio apartment) and hotel were immaculate and comfortable. It's always a plus to visit and chat with Kathy. We'll be back again soon. Thank you!
Kathie and Robert

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Lakewood Ranch, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

This hotel was in a perfect location for walking to restaurants and activities in downtown Sarasota. The hotel is very cute with its Art Deco design and the rooms were very comfortable. We were on the 2nd floor in the back (room 12) and had no noise problems at all. There was a large bedroom with King sized bed, desk area and some comfy chairs. Bathroom was small, but there was an adjacent dressing area with a make-up table, so that worked out very well. It also had a small kitchen area with everything you would need if you did not want to go out, including a Keurig and coffee pods. They have their own parking lot, so no worries there. Yes, they have a wall AC unit, but it was really not that noisy and was very effective in keeping the room nice and cool. I would highly recommend this place to anyone - we had a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

If you are booking a trip to Sarasota, run--don't walk--to the Hotel Ranola website and book now! This gem is nestled off a very quiet side street in the heart of the historic downtown area, mere blocks from a wealth of excellent restaurants, cafes and shops, not to mention Whole Foods. Built in 1926, the former residential hotel has been lovingly restored with its fabulous Art Deco details intact, yet updated with the latest conveniences (like free wi-fi and cable). Each room has its own full kitchen and bathroom, making Hotel Ranola a welcome alternative to a vacation rental (and without those extra taxes and cleaning fees!) The owner, Kathy, will make you feel right at home and provide a wealth of information about Sarasota and the surrounding area. As independent travelers, we didn't care that the front desk wasn't open 24/7. We preferred to make ourselves at home in our room (the size of a generous studio apartment; the one-bedroom suites are even roomier!) and use it as a base to explore the city and beaches.

Furthermore, the value is unbeatable. We researched several rentals and other options before choosing Hotel Ranola, and we're so glad we did! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

Looked at the reviews on Trip Advisor and thought we would try somewhere different rather than a conventional hotel. We had room four. Perhaps I will do a pros & cons list:
Pros: It's different, has a powder room for the ladies, it was clean, it had the softest and nicest smelling towels of all the hotels we stayed in (and that was over 10), soft toilet paper and tissues, kitchen for preparing light meals etc. nicely decorated, comfy bed.
Cons: Hot stuffy hallways, can hear people on the floor above, no creamer / sugar for coffee, very loud road noise, window mounted a/c so noisy you have to turn if off to sleep, thus rendering the room very hot.
The best thing about the place is the Owner Kathy. She was extremely nice and went out of her way to help with anything she could.
Probably wouldn't stay there again, but it was worth a short stay. We are pretty fussy people so I'm probably being a little harsh in the review.
Thanks Kathy, we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Ranola? Share your experiences!