“New Restaurant, they have a long way to go !!!!” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sarasota
“New Restaurant, they have a long way to go !!!!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

First, let me compliment you on building a very nice location in Sarasota, looks great, wonderful promise for the future but we have to address the present.
My family and I visited your facility on Saturday evening, 6/22 with a 5:00 PM reservation for eight.
We were seated and greated and met our wonderful server. Part of our group arrived twenty minutes late but the first three ordered appetizers immediatly. The balance of our party arrived at 5:15. We then ordered additional appetizers. Drinks were ordered and delivered but beliveve it or not it took over fourty five minutes for appetizers to be delivered and we were then informed that two of the items were no longer available, duck rolls and dumplings. I ask, opened for a week, five in the afternoon and already out of two leading appetizers, poor planning.
In the interim we did order our entrees. Entrees were delivered another twenty five minutes after the appetizer delivery. Almost an hour and a half from seating to entree delivery, poor kitchen. Took make it worse, the entree delivery for eight people took over twenty minutes for the order to be complete. What kind of kitchen and expeditor has eight entrees delivered over a twenty minute period.
Overall you are now failing. The food quality was average. I could have gone down the street to Mrs. Chans and had a buffet with the same items for 8.95 !!!!!
It took over three hours to turn our table. Would I return, maybe in six months once you get your act together.
What kind of kitchen organization do you have, how do you run out of leading items for a new restaurant less than a week after opening.
Even though we were a large party and there were "many" managers walking about, we were never approached and ask "how things were ?", "sorry for the delay !!"
P.F. Changs has a great reputation and it has a great opportunity in this community but if you cannot get it right the first week in an 'off season' environment, then you will not meet target and you will disappoint lots of people. Please do better in the future.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Rowlett, Texas
“Newly Opened - Very Hectic - Good Service & Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

This restaurant opened for business on Monday, 17 June 2013, and my elderly mother and I visited 2 days later for dinner. We had the foresight to make a reservation for 6:00pm - and it was a good thing, as there was an overflowing crowd when we arrived waiting to be seated. There was little seating for those waiting; some waited in the bar area, others outside, but the crowd was well-mannered. Much to the restaurant's credit, we were seated within 10 minutes of our reserved time.

The menu has a variety of starters, salads, soups, and main courses, but for a Chinese/Asian themed restaurant, we found the number of distinct choices on the menu to be somewhat limited, compared to the extensive menus that are often found in such restaurants. But there was still a decent variety of selections in all sections of the menu, which also included a small selection of seasonal dishes. Service was prompt, for the most part, and the restaurant did not skimp on employees - there were plenty to serve the crowds. All seemed to have great attitudes and were eager to please.

My mother ordered a California Roll for her starter and beef lo mein for her main course. I ordered the Northern Spareribs as my starter and Chicken Pad Thai as my main. We also split an order of vegetable spring rolls. The spring rolls arrived fairly promptly and were quite tasty and crisp. The Northern Spareribs came with a powdered seasoning on the side which made the ribs absolutely delectable. They were meaty and flavorful, and I thoroughly enjoyed them.

The California Roll that Mom ordered appeared to get lost in the shuffle - after 3 or 4 pleasant requests to various servers to check on it, it finally arrived about 20 minutes later. (I don't consider this a real negative, as the restaurant just opened, and they probably have to work out some of the kinks.) But Mom thoroughly enjoyed it, making it worth the wait.

Portions of the main courses were ample, and the food arrived within a reasonable time. Mom enjoyed her lo mein, but there was enough there to make a nice second meal, so she took that portion home. My Chicken Pad Thai was tasty, but, a bit to my surprise, the dish lacked the pungent peanut/spice taste that one typically finds in Pad Thai. Rather, it was more like a dish with noodles, chicken, and the regular ingredients, but without the unique taste. I enjoyed it, but I was a bit surprised that its was noticeably different than what I have come to expect from this dish. Whether or not this was representative of the recipe that they use at PF Changs or just the way this particular meal was prepared, given the newness of the restaurant, is unknown.

The restaurant itself has a high ceiling, with an open, "public" feel. It is not intimate. With any level of crowd, it is sure to be quite noisy, and it has a constant hustle-bustle feel with servers darting around this way and that. If one is looking for a quiet, reasonably private, more intimate dining experience, this is not the place for that. But if one is looking for good service, good food, and doesn't mind the noise, this restaurant appears to be a good choice.

Prices are moderate. A full bar is provided. There was an outside seating area, but it was not being used at the time. Valet parking was available.

Overall - good experience, good food, and since the restaurant just opened 2 days prior, the staff had obviously been well trained. My mother and I enjoyed the experience and do plan to return.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Siesta Key, Florida
“Long awaited ... Long time til I go back”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We have been waiting for a local PF Chang's for a long time. Hopefully our experience on day 2 of its grand opening will be improved with time. But you would think a restaurant with this experience and reputation would know how to open a new one up correctly. We had reservations and were seated within 15 minutes of arrival ... not bad. It took 2 hours for 4 of us to get basic dinners ... not good. It wasn't the waiter's fault -- the kitchen was backlogged. Then when it was time for the dessert that was part of the prix fixe for 2 of us, we were told it would be a 27 minute wait since they ran out of the dessert. All of these issues are hopefully the result of new and inexperienced staff which will be corrected. I had higher expectations for them, though.

Perhaps more upsetting was that the food was "just okay". We ordered basic stuff - Dan Dan noodles, Pad Thai etc and it was okay but nothing exceptional, which is what we would expect from P F Changs and what we have experienced in other P F Changs.

Bottom line -- they have kinks to work out. And if the quality of the food doesn't improve, you can find better alternatives in Sarasota.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere