“Not as good as before.” 3 of 5 stars

+1 941-923-3688
Improve this listing
Ranked #193 of 852 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Mexican
Description: The Grasshopper/El Chapulin Tex-Mex Restaurant & Lounge is a family owned and operated business that opened its first establishment in 1971. Featured our the secret Family Tex-Mex flavors coming from the Valley of Edinburg Texas and festively complimented by Margaritas and your favorite mexican beers. You can find us 1 mile south of Stickney point road on US41 under the big green awning.
“Not as good as before.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I went back for dinner last night and I was unhappy with my meal.My husband ordered his fajita dish and was fine with it-I ordered a trio of tacos and felt I was at a fast food chain.I ordered a veggies taco-the veggies were chopped so tiny with lots of lettuce-no flavor-I was up charged for one of their new shrimp taco's-to be fair it was the only flavorful item on my plate-I think I had two shrimp and the same generic tiny chopped veggies in the taco-dry and flavorless witht he exception of the shrimp-1 chicken taco with a tiny piece of very dry chicken and the same chopped veggies.The tacos were bland beyond belief-no refried beans were served unless I wanted to pay for them- I paid extra for a small cup of green sauce.My husband paid extra for the refried beans.Sorry but will not be back and will return to El Toro Bravo- the dishes are more flavorful there and the sides are included.I wish the Grasshopper well and am sorry that we can not return based on the quality of our meal..

Visited October 2013

Venice, Florida, USA
“Great Mexican Food - Friendly Service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Great dishes that you won't find at the chain restaurants. The pork is fabulous, guacamole and "green cheese" dip is delicious. Everything is fresh and made to order (not frozen stuff).

Visited October 2013
Canada
“First time but we WILL be back!! ( The Torontonians!)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

We came on recommendations of a friend, wow, what a great spot and so close to home. The staff all very friendly and welcoming. The food was amazing, really fresh and tasty, yet so reasonably priced. Folks around us loved their food as well, we overheard them!--- hope they pass the word around, this little gem deserves to be really successful. We even had a personal visit at our table with the owner, smart move to visit your customers one on one. We will be back for sure before we go home, maybe twice!
One little recommendation would be to spruce up the outside a bit, some pots of flowers, some artwork on the walls etc. a bit bare out there!
Thank you for your delicious offerings all.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Mexican food at affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2013

A good Mexican restaurant can be hard to find but following a recommendation we visited this place on the 41 in Sarasota. My first thought was a little concern as the outside did not do this place justice. When we walked in I knew we would be OK. The food was very good and reasonably priced and the service too was great. I am not going to talk you through the menu as I doubt my spelling is good enough but just to say there was a great choice and deserts too, the beer was cold and all in all we will return, great find

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
South Florida, Florida
“Very good Tex-Mex food.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Two of us visited for a late lunch and were immediately warmly greeted and seated. Our waitress, Amber, arrived at our table quickly and took our drink order, which were served quickly and with chips and freshly made salsas (med. and hot, and we like very hot, so they also brought extra hot for us as well); the chips were not the best we've ever had, but part of that is personal preference. After learning that this was our first visit to his restaurant, the owner came over to our table and welcomed us and also brought us complementary green cheese (warm, melted queso with chiles) and guacamole, all of which were very good, though I especially liked the green cheese. The margaritas (we ordered the "Original") were very tasty, though they seemed like they had very little tequila in them; still enjoyed them though. I ordered the Grasshopper Wet Burrito with chicken; it was huge and delicious! It was stuffed with refried beans, mexican style rice and lots of shredded white meat chicken. You have a choice of several types of sauces you can get on top of it - I chose the green cheese sauce and this made for a delicious combination, though I would have liked more of the sauce, however you can order additional sauce for a charge, which I will do next time. My dining partner ordered the enchilada plate (he chose chicken) which was also a very large portion that included two enchiladas filled with shredded white meat chicken covered with the green cheese sauce (the option chosen by this diner) and the dinner came with sides of both refried beans and mexican style rice; he also felt that his food was very good. All of the food was very tasty, prices were fair and the quantities were very large. The atmosphere was rather typical for a casual Mexican restaurant and it seemed clean (including the ladies restroom) and all staff we encountered there were friendly. All in all it was a very nice experience with good food and we will definitely be returning again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere