“Friendly service, good breakfast” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Reservations
annarbortraveler55
“Friendly service, good breakfast”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This is a breakfast & lunch only place. It's one of those old-fashioned looking restaurants- the kind is decorated for every holiday (in this case Easter), with faux-antiques. It's super family friendly, and its menu has everything breakfast.

Our omelet was a little underdone, but the bacon was just as I ordered - crispy - it's amazing how often breakfast places interpret that as "leathery" -- not at Millie's however. Same with the eggs- done to perfection.

The grits are unusually creamy. I liked it, but my husband missed the drier consistency.

Service was very friendly, prompt, attentive.

For those who care: the bathrooms were spotless-- again something that is rarer that it should be.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

89% Recommend
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
“Great food. Great service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

Thre of us had lunch at Millie's today. Son had the SwedishCrepes; wife had spinach pie and I had the Reuben.
All three meals were excellent. Prices were very reasonable. Service was excellent! Highly recommend this restaurant.

“This is the place for breakfast and or lunch...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is the place for breakfast and or lunch...the stuffed French toast or the crepes are a must. The owner George is from NY and brings his style to some home style cooking.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Williamsburg, Ohio
“just ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

read allot of reviews so gave it a try. its just ok. allot of retired locals frequent this restaurant and the staff know this and cater to them. food was ok, i have had better and i have had worse... not impressed and the waitress we had just had so many tables that she really wasn't able to keep up adequately to get us refills etc. it is better than eating at say mcdonalds, or something like that. not really sure if i would go back, maybe, maybe not. not worth waiting say 45 minutes or so. we waited 15.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
New York
“Breakfast is breakfast, unless it isn't”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

The reviews below were spot on - people waiting, good food and nice atmosphere. Millie's is THE place for breakfast in Sarasota, Florida. My first reaction to Millie's was to ask myself how I would go about creating a restaurant that was primarily a breakfast place and the answer is that I would create a Millie's. The decor is reminiscent of a grandmother's warm farm house with all sorts of little decorative items. And were were greeted by ladies in period dress making the homey atmosphere even better. The service was fine, although the individual who brought us our food forgot to bring one of our plates after telling us that he'd be right back. Our wonderful waitress Judy rushed to correct this problem. No problem. So we were here in the arms of contentment and peace and guess what? The breakfast items that arrived were just that -- normal eggs benedict, normal home fries, normal sunny side up eggs. Regular breakfast fare is breakfast whether you eat it in this warm place or a greasy spoon diner (sometimes it is better in the latter). A good part of the menu is taken up with other typical items you can get elsewhere; pancakes, omelettes, waffles, egg dishes.
But what sets Millie's apart is the twists on some of the items above and a good number different things on the menu. Some of them are: a German apple baked pancake; cottage cheese pancakes; French pancakes; and Russian blintzes. We went between 9:30 and 9:45 a.m. on St. Patrick's Day and guess what - they had corned beef and cottage. (Millie's closes at 2:30 p.m. seven days a week. There are so many interesting things on the menu that make it difficult to decide what to order.
So with all of this warm atmosphere and good vibes and food, why did I rate Millie's only four circles? When we go out for breakfast I always tell myself that I'll get something different from corned beef hash. But I can never make myself do it. This time I should have. I expected something distinctive but this corned beef hash was something you can get out of a can. It was just diner corn beef hash which is usually fine for me. But not a Millie's. Anyone craving really real and delicious home made hash try Food Is Love in Englewood. I would go back to Millie's in a heartbeat but would try one of the truly special items on the menu. Why go here for just a plain old breakfast?
P.S. the sunny side up yokes were over done just a tad.
P.S.S. not far away on Tamiani Trail there is a place called Lox n Eggs, a true New York bagel joint which, transported to Grenwich Village, would do just fine.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere