“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #183 of 849 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Long-time Sarasota favorite featuring an island-inspired menu and casual atmosphere. Serving everything from seafood to steaks, this local restaurant has earned a reputation for quality food & service.
Naples, Florida
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This was one of the best restaurants I've ever been to. We got there very close to closing time and they still sat us and treated us as if we got there right when it opened. We could not have had a better waiter-- very knowledgable, nice, friendly, etc. The food was FANTASTIC. We each got a wonderful salad and then I had the seafood pie (enough for 2+ meals) and my boyfriend (the health nut ;) got fried chicken with homemade mac and cheese. I cannot possibly say enough good things about this place!

Visited May 2013
MadfishGrill, Manager at Madfish Grill, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for the kind review! We are so glad that you had a great experience at Madfish... we hope to see you again soon!

Arcadia, Florida
“We will return to the Madfish Grill”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This was our first visit to the Madfish Grill in Sarasota Florida. We were greeted at the door by an extremely friendly hostess, and the wait time was short. Our server was professional, friendly, and displayed a good knowledge of the menu. Our dinner was delicious. To complement the food, we saw excellent teamwork by every member of the staff. We look forward to our next dinner at the Madfish Grill.

• Visited May 2013
MadfishGrill, Manager at Madfish Grill, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the five-star review! Happy guests is what we work for! We hope to see you again soon.
Sarasota
“Good start Poor Finish”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

After our server Lisa started us off nicely, after our food was served we were ignored. It was not even busy. With no water in our glasses and empty plates staring us in the face for 20 minutes the hostess actually wound up getting us our bill. The food was OK however $24 for about a 4 or 5 once flavorless piece of "american red snapper" was dissapointing. One would expect a bigger portion for that much money. Would have to think of other options before returning.

The place is clean and comfortable. I was wondering why more people were not there. It was a busy day out for dining. Perhaps the pricing, portions and service slows down the business

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
MadfishGrill, Manager at Madfish Grill, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
I am so sorry to hear that your experience at Madfish was not excellent. To address the issues you mentioned:
1. Service: there is never an excuse for poor service and inattentiveness. I apologize for the lack of attention you received on your visit here.
2. Portion size: our American Red Snapper comes in fresh from a local company and we fillet it here into 7-8 ounce portions. I am sorry if the snapper you received was under that size. I will make sure to check that the kitchen is cutting the proper size.
Thank you the taking the time to input your feedback and we do hope that you will try us again! If you have any additional feedback, please feel free to email us: info@madfishgrill.com.
-Casey Clinch-
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Revisited - and still fabulous!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Revisited April, 2013.
Still one of the best spots in Sarasota and just off the interstate at Bee Ridge Exit, then south on Cattleman’s to the first light and turn left.. We had our anniversary lunch there today, and even though the appetizer courses we had were Chowder ( 1st rate) and Lobster Bisque (also 1st rate) which follow into the seafood category (our normal choices) I opted for the Mambo Burger with Cheddar and Bacon, done medium rare. I have to add that the salt and pepper shakers were not touched when we ate the appetizers, so the chef has an excellent touch with the seasonings.
Folks – this is probably the best burger in Florida, cooked exactly to order from fresh beef (NOT a frozen patty), huge, well seasoned ( I added some pepper), and fresh cut vegetables – not the tomatoes sliced by the prep cook last night. My bride enjoyed a Portobello, spinach, and Jack cheese quesadilla and finished the whole thing with a big smile.
Service seems to have become a little less organized than before – a little long on the ice tea refills, so deduct maybe a ¼ of a star there. But the staff still performs as a team, and that always makes good service.

• Visited April 2013
MadfishGrill, Manager at Madfish Grill, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you so much for another great review! We are so excited that you loved the Mombo Burger! We love when guests discover our non-seafood items. We hope you see you around these parts again soon!
Sarasota, Florida
“I'm ready to go again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

This restaurant was selected last minute on a Wednesday evening by a friend who wanted to take me to dinner. I had visited this retaurant more than 5 years ago for a business lunch and vaguely remember it being decent. As said, it was a last minute decision and my friend had me call to check their hours.....we were calling 10 minutes before scheduled closing and I was assured that there were other diners still enjoying their meals and that we were more than welcome!

It might be worriesome to arrive near closing time at most restaurants....I've been hurried before in such an instance. Not, here! We were welcomed, seated, well tended to by the server/bartender and the food was beyond fantastic!

They have a varied list of beverages alcoholoc and non alcoholic to choose from, the bartender made a dramatic delivery of our Tequila - nice!

The food arrived hot and well prepared and tasted excellent!

The atmosphere was near romantic but also felt very comfortable and almost "homey" - the patrons at the bar were regulars and very nice.

Yes, I'm ready to go again - and again!

• Visited April 2013
MadfishGrill, Manager at Madfish Grill, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you so much for the five-star review! We are glad to entertain guests up until closing time... we are here for you, after all. We are particularly proud of our bar staff (and of our regulars as well!) and are so happy that they took such great care of you and your friend. We look forward to seeing you again soon!