“Best Restaurant Downtown” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Selva Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 820 restaurants in Sarasota
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night, Dessert
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main St. & Palm Ave.
Sarasota
“Best Restaurant Downtown”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

Love it, always a great experience. Highly recommended for exceptional Peruvian cuisiue in upscale, upbeat athosphere.

Visited July 2013

86% Recommend
Sarasota, Florida
“Good Lookin' and Good Tastin'”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

If you believe in the adage that how food looks, influences how you will enjoy your meal, this is the place to test out that concept. When each dish comes, you just want to sit there and admire the presentation for awhile before trying it. Then --this has never happened to me before--I carefully went about consuming my portion, trying to preserve the look as long as I could. We shared several of the Tapas and each was outstanding including the tuna tartare--water melon combination. The veal chop in a macadamia pesto preparation was as good as it gets anywhere. The dining room is very contemporary and the tables are well spaced. A bit pricey for Sarasota but well worth it.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“The chef must have been an art major!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We enjoyed a delicious night of tapas sitting outside last week at Selva! My husband had a beer and I had a martini that was fabulous ... just wish I could remember the name of it. Look for the one that has champagne, orange vodka and St. Germain elderflower. It was delicious! For tapas, we shared the Lobster del mar ceviche ... probably the best lobster ceviche we have ever had! We also shared the spinach empanadas and the crab spring rolls. I asked our server if the chef was an artist or had been an art major, because the food was as beautiful as it was delicious! Looking forward to going back and trying more from their menu, because we enjoyed every bite (and sip) of everything we had at Selva.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Naples, Florida
“Absolutely Delicious”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

This is a fantastic quaint restaurant on Main St. We had four courses of small plates which were perfectly prepared, flavorful and nicely presented. The dining room was full so we ate at the bar, a good choice. The staff was pleasant, knowledgeable and provided excellent service.

Don't miss out should you visit Sarasota!

Visited June 2013
Sarasota, FL
“STARBURST MARTINIS. Great place, great martinis, horrible value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

I want to give Selve 3.5 stars. Not that the food and drinks and service don't deserve 4 - they do - but the prices are outrageous and value for your money is terrible. However, since I can't give 3.5, 4 will do.

Lets begin with the most important part - Starburst Martinis. If you go to Selve, have one of these. Then 2, then 3. (This reviewer is not advocating alcoholism or getting stupidly drunk and should you follow my advice, then please have a designated driver take you home). These martinis are awesome. Have a lot of them, have someone carry you home (again, please don't drive, I live here), then have some more the next day.

They have a great happy hour, though I forget at this point if its $5 martinis or half off (probably the same thing actually). The bar is a bit dark, so not a place for boisterous happy hours, but its cozy and romantic and definitely a date place. They have couches and some privacy in the back of the bar if you're lucky enough to grab it - just a warning though, they keep it insanely cold back there. The crowd is also a bit older, but then again, this is Sarasota so what would you expect? We're old.

The food is delicious, too, but here's where I take points away. Let me give you a couple of examples. I have never actually eaten anything other then appetizers here because their menu is so pricey. My favorite appetizer is their empenadas (sp?). My girlfriend and I will order a beef and a spinach (order comes with 2 total, and you can mix and match). The appetizer is $12. They also have a crab spring roll for $10. Yes, a single spring roll. I know it has crab, but that's still obnoxious. You know what the bartender told me and my girlfriend? I quote, "It's one spring roll, but they cut it into 3 pieces."

So the value for what you pay for sucks. That said, this is one of our favorite happy hour spots and my girlfriend and I come here as much as possible - though typically only when there's a groupon or living social deal. Word of warning though, you can't use those certificates for happy hour specials, which is fine, because happy hour is the only time when the value is worthwhile.

Finally, and I highly doubt she's reading this, but to the older woman wearing the horrible white and floral pattern dress who was there on Saturday, June 8 and ordered the $38 NY Strip steak, ate half of it, and then had them throw it away - someone should punch you in the face. I'm sorry, but how much more rich and entitled do you have to be? Give it to your dogs for pete's sake. Have it in a sandwich for lunch the next day. Something. Don't throw out half a $38 steak you miserable cow.

Sorry to everyone else who had to read that, but witnessing that really pissed off me and my girlfriend.

• Visited June 2013