“Good food....but this is rated #2?? Hard to fathom” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Selva Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #42 of 795 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Peruvian, Barbecue
Good for: Special occasions, Doing business, Romantic, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Dinner, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Main St. & Palm Ave.
Thornbury, ON, Canada
“Good food....but this is rated #2?? Hard to fathom”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

My wife and I went to the Selva Grill last night for my birthday dinner, based on the reviews in Trip Advisor. We booked the table a week in advance through Open Table. Upon arriving we were immediately shunted to the back next to the server station. Only after much protesting would the hostess move us up a bit, but in no way would she move us to one of the empty tables in the middle of the restaurant. Instead we were confined to the "picnic" table section west of the iron fence they have on the west side of the restaurant.
However, once acclimed to the outplacement, we had excellent service and the food was pretty good. My wife raved about her sea bass, I had the duck which was ok, good not great. It was a pricey meal. I'd think twice about returning and DEFINITELY would not book through Open Table!

• 4 of 5 stars Food

Indianapolis, Indiana
“Excellent food, nice setting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

The atmosphere was very modern, nothing exceptional. The food was delicious, other than a rather blah salad. Fairly pricey, but the food was excellent. Service was very attentive.

Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“can't believe it ranked as #2”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

My wife and I ate here while in the area looking at real estate. We went here due to the high Trip advisor rating. We were very surprised. To start with the "I'd rather be anywhere but here hostess" seating us... 1st impressions were poor. Then came the server... much better.. and was the best part of the evening here. I started with the Empanadas... they were good. My wife had the sea bass and I the sirloin strip. My wife was unimpressed with the sea bass... and the accompanying vegetables... she likes garlic, but that was the only flavor on the plate. My steak was one of the worst cuts of meat I have had in a long time.... 1/3 of it was fat/grisel... the rest flavorless. Truly a pathetic steak. The side was a mound of cheese laden potatoes , they were marginal at best and the grilled asparagus was undercooked. We did not have dessert, as we doubted that they could have pulled off a decent finish. I will say two managers/owners did come around to ask how things were... but alas , they should have more savvy and pay more attention to the kitchen staff and food quality .

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Great food, beautiful presentation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

Just enjoyed a wonderful meal at the Selva Grill. It deserves all the good reviews it gets. A pleasant room, we were seated promptly, and the waiter was helpful without being too pushy. We had triologia cerviche, shrimp, tuna and white fish, quite good especially the tuna. For main dishes we had an excellent sea bass, Inca cod ( cooked in a plantain leaf, la causa buena (( crab, avocado, potato), shirt steak and a loin chop. We had yucca fries as a side. All were very well prepared and the presentation was impressive. All five of us enjoyed the meal. The Peruvian influence was subtle, but present and welcomed. Pricey, but worth it.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, Massachusetts
“Very forced”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We say at the bar first, got a pisco and a caipirinha, they didn't taste the way those cocktails are supposed to! Then we went to our table and were impressed with the place!, shows very nice, hip and fun. As for the food, it was good, but it was not mind blowing, but neither was the bill, so that's ok. It was funny though, cuz every plate had some height on it, some plantain, sugar line or herb sticking out on it, as well as every plate with yellow and red oil, but not flavorful or memorable dishes...

• 3 of 5 stars Food