“Very disappointing after finally getting to eat here” 1 of 5 stars

Cuisines: American, Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Sarasota, Florida
“Very disappointing after finally getting to eat here”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hubby & I have wanted to try Bonefish Grill, after hearing may good things about the restaurant chain in general. I was given $75 worth of Carrabba's gift cards as part of an award from work recently, so we went for dinner tonight at this facility. Hubby had checked out the menu online, limited choices, but we did find a couple things that promised to be very good. I was excited about the salmon with spinach, bacon & asiago cheese.

First problem was discovering the limited online menu, IS all they offer. No chef's off the menu special selections like many other restaurants. I wanted to try the salmon anyway, and it was on special. Even had a small portion option.

Since this was a 'special occasion' we thought we'd do things up right. The appetizers offered, there was only 1 I was minimally interested in was the bacon wrapped scallops. Prices are steep, and usually an appetizer is just too much pre-dinner munchies, so we didn't get one. Just ordered drinks, and dinners. Server brought a bread out hubby enjoyed with the olive oil pesto dip.

Our server really was nice, but didn't tell us my meal came with a pre-chosen vegetable side dish of the day, I was given one side dish selection. I hadn't noticed the side dish selections on the menu, and server didn't recite a list, so I looked for the choices on the menu, opted for Scalloped Potatoes Au Gratin. We passed on soup or salad, only looked like menu had two soups, another thing server did not mention choices of, and I can't tell you what was offered, it just wasn't anything that sounded good to me.

World's Worst Margarita was served to me, with hubby's draft beer. The tequila is definitely not the same as I've had at Longhorn Steak House or Applebee's. Very bitter tasting.

Discovered, after 3 elderly diners were sat next to our table, that today's pre-chosen veggie side dish was carrots, but if they didn't care for that, for 50 cents extra they could substitute another side dish, say asparagus or broccoli? That was information I could have used, I don't care for carrots at all.

We were served our meals, I will say the spinach, bacon & asiago cheese on top of my salmon was good, the salmon was too thick and lacked taste even though moist unless you were eating the seared grilled areas. I got through about half the salmon by breaking it apart and eating it with the topping. The roasted or grilled carrots looked dry, and I have no idea what else was cooked in them, I didn't try them. IF I had known carrots were my only option, I'd have told them not to bring them out. IF I'd been given the substitute offer, I'd have asked for the asparagus. The potatoes hidden partially under the fish and looked funny. Why they were partially hidden under the fish, I have no idea, there was room on the plate to give them their own area. So I moved the fish off. Started on that. Finally gave up on the salmon, and two bites into the potatoes I quit.

No idea what cheese blend was used, and I love a lot of cheeses. The crunchy stuff seemed to be plain fine bread crumbs that didn't add a thing to the dish.

Another server offered to take hubby's plate, bring me a box---no rush if I was still working on my dinner, and I told her "No, Thanks. I'm done." then she was alarmed "Is something wrong?" "No, I've had enough."

Hubby and I are not picky eaters, he enjoyed the bread, and tried some of my meal to make sure I was just having a problem because I have a problem tasting things since I can't smell very well. He wasn't impressed with his meal either.

As for the limited menu, if you don't want fish, don't go. If you want really good fish or seafood, go a little farther up Tamiami Trail to Walt's Seafood. Prices are much better and you will have more food than you can eat that taste fantastic. Bonefish only offers 1 alternative chicken meal, 1 alternative pork meal, and 2 small steak offerings. One of those with shrimp is really expensive. $29+. I wouldn't recommend taking kids to this place, either.

So $19 left on the Carrabba's gift card, and hind sight, we should have just gone to Carrabba's. At least they have a menu sure to please everyone.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food

Bradenton, Florida
“Excellent Value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Never fail to dine at the Bonefish. Food is consistently prepared well and wait staff is for the most part attentive and professional. Bar and wine list more than adequate for a chain. Menu satisfies me and my 90+ parents. Food is prepared for the average palate, so the tuna with a Jalepeno Cream sauce,although good, needed something more to be truly spicy.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Staffordshire
“Is there a better place to eat fish”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

First time that my wife and I have ever been to bonefish, it was a Tuesday night at 7 pm and we were really surprised to see that the restaurant was almost full, we had a shared starter of shrimp ginger and coconut and I had the scallops and shrimp main my wife had a chicken curry, we finished with a shared sweet coconut pudding. The whole occasion was really good we will definitely be going back again. about $30 each but good value for money

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chicago
“Buzy with a mature crowd”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Visited Sarasota with my 82 yr old father and his 92 year old girl. This is her fav. Got there for the early bird dinner at 4:30. Yes they do eat early in this part of Florida.The fish was fresh and well prepared, though the grilled samon and tilapia were rather bland (wife and I wondered if this was to carter to the older clientel) but you can order several sauces to kick it up a notch. Bang Bang shrimp appitizer are coated shrimp ith a nice tang. Try the grilled asperagus as a side. The waitstaff knows how to gently handle old folks who don't see or hear so well. About $90 for four entres, appetizer and a copuple of beers. Good place to bring your grandmother.

• Visited September 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Crestwood, Illinois
“Ban Bang Shrimp!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Bang Bang Shrimp and a Shrimp/Sea Scallops/Kalamata Olives/Feta Cheese in a Lime Chile sauce says it all - Wonderful and quite filling.

Visited August 2012