“Hoping Jim will open a branch closer to us!” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 819 restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Bakery
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: Small batches, real ingredients, and a deft hand... no proof & bake croissants, no muffin mixes, no Sysco cookie dough and no fake whipped cream. It's all from scratch and it's all made on premise. From authentic all-butter hand laminated croissants and perfect carrot cake, to fresh fruit sorbets and candied bacon BLTs on true artisanal bread, the variety, freshness and execution may surprise you at this humble little place.
Portimao, Portugal
“Hoping Jim will open a branch closer to us!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Jim's catchphrase is "from scratch" and he is proud of it. Two of us popped in for lunch - a quiche for my daughter and sandwich for me - and then the temptation to try the cakes, pastries, etc. is overwhelming. As luck would have it, the daily special was free mini-desserts with lunch, so we had an apple and a walnut bar. Both were delicious.

I'm sorry to say that the peanut butter brownie I took home turned out to be very dry and I couldn't finish it (I bought it because another customer was raving about them).

Unfortunately, Jim's is a 20-minute drive from where we live, so we won't be frequent customers, but it's worth the drive at least once.

Visited June 2013

97% Recommend
Sarasota, Florida
“Wow! This food is fantastic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

The bacon is intoxicating. A simple BLT will have you wanting another. Everything has great flavor. Most difficult thing is to decide what you want. Seriously, everything is excellent. Dessert is a no brainer. Although, we typically take ours to go. Very limited seating but you won't care once you taste the food.

Visited June 2013
USA
“Wonderful Artisan Bread”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Visiting Siesta Key & found Jim's. We stopped in for Quiche one morning & it was the best I have ever eaten. The crust was flaky and the filling set up perfectly. The bread was not coming out of the oven until noon but it was well worth the wait. The Olive loaf was chewy with a great crust. Also picked up muffins, pastries, & desserts. This area is lucky to have such a wonderful bakery.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Really cool spot in Gulf Gate area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had the pleasure of speaking with the owner of this establishment a few days ago when I popped in to pick up some sourdough bread. The place is quite small but what they have all looks fantastic and the friendliness of the owner and staff is quite impressive.

He had just put some sourdough bread away but I was able to snag a loaf. Great stuff! I will certainly be back here to pick up some more bread as well as some of their delicious looking pastries.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sarasota, Florida
“Mother's Day Was Missing Something...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

A little "something something" from Jim's! We went away on Friday night and forgot to "pack" our Jim's for the weekend - Best ding dang bagels in town, best almond croissants, best key lime kiss - OH MY, THE CHOICES! The breads are a staple in our house and, of course, I can't forget my all time favorite "Ali Muffin". (Perhaps that isn't the real name, but Jim and staff humor me by allowing me to call them that when I'm in.)

If you're looking for a place where each item is lovingly crafted and well-executed by a Baker who cares, Jim's Small Batch Bakery should be your destination.

PS - I can't wait to try the new $4 lunch box. A mini sandwich, a small piece of fruit, a small dessert and a bottled water. It sounds perfect!

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere