“An unexpected delight!” 5 of 5 stars

Description: Brand New Just Opened
Venice
“An unexpected delight!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

Friends of ours discovered this place awhile back and suggested we go with 2 other couples. My husband is not adventureous in dining, so I was waiting for him to not like it and look for a safe selection. Imagine my surprise when he started with the grape leaves stuffed with lentils and said it was good! What followed was plate after plate of 3 kinds of rice, including saffron, roasted vegetables, lamb shanks, Persian quiche with cilantro and parsley, chicken in bean sauce, kebabs, and I can't remember what else as we all ate and shared with each other. The owner was truly in his element as he had been cooking for many years and it showed. No one was displeased with any of the dishes. The shiraz was perfect with the food, and the Persian rice pudding with pistachios was unlike any I've had. One note, this dessert is very sweet, so beware! My husband announced that this was one of the best meals he's ever had and we will be returning. This restaurant is located in a small strip mall on Stickney Point Road (East), and is definitely worth finding.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

sarasota FL
“Go for the food!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I ordered the beef wrap, and while it was hamburger meat (I mistakenly thought it would be sliced beef), the taste was delicious. I would go again to try the lamb, which was recommended. Typically I do not like lamb, but the proprietor highly recommended it.

I wanted to try the Baklava, but it was $6.50 and I was full at that point.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Philadelphia
“Best Persian in Sarasota”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

Hands down, the best Persian I have had! I have had good Persian in Philadelphia and NYC, this was exceptional. The Baklava is exceptional, not sloppy gooey like most. A must try!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Boston, Massachusetts
“Four people delighted”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

In mid-April four of us ate in Asha after being told by a number of people how good the restaurant was. We were not let down. We each had a different dinner after sharing stuffed grape leaves to begin. "Just like I had years ago in Turkey" was the first comment. She ordered the mixed plate dinner and was very pleased. I had the salmon with and found it just perfect with the rice including the day after since the portion was so big I could split it in two. Another woman ordered the chicken special and even though it too was a large portion it was so good she wanted to enjoy it all right then and there. Since I am writing this about 2 weeks after our visit I do not remember what the last person had, but I do remember she raved about it.
We were so enraptured with the variety of tastes we decided we had to share the desserts. They were all good, but our favorites varied from person to person.
Don't be put off by the parking situation. You can park on the side street heading south.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Sarasota, Florida
“Great, unique food for less”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

As often happens, we heard about Asha Grill via word of mouth. "Have you heard about this great little....?"

We kept hearing about this small, family run eaterie on Stickney Point road, with super Persian food, and thought we'd try it out.

We've been there twice, brought others with us, and have sent others still to sample the wares of Asha, and meet it's talented, genial host, Hamid.

The chellow kebab is simply prepared, nuanced with wonderful regional spices, and very, very tasty. My friend regularly orders a chicken dish with a superb walnut and pomegranite. Given the quality of these two dishes, I seriously doubt that we will migrate to other items in the restaurant. (note that the chicken dish, while seemingly always available, is not on the menu, and you will need to ask Hamid about it).

The real treat to me are the desserts here. They are unique, wonderfully flavored and out of this world. While everyone seems to have their favorites, to me their rice pudding is 'to die for'.

As to appetizers, in addition to standard Middle Eastern fare, there was koo-koo, which I found a little dry, but it seems to be a favorite among customers, and those who were with us there seemed to like it alot.

I've spent alot of time in the Middle East, know alot about it's cooking and spent alot of time reviewing restaurants in Sarasota, which is a long way of saying, I know what good food is -- and this place easily qualified for that title.

It's unpretentious and inexpensive, with no bells and whistles other than a nice, warm atmosphere and great food. If you want a unique restaurant experience in Sarasota, yearn for Mideastern cuisine, or just want a homey, friendly place to have a quality meal for less, Asha Grill should be at the top of your list!

• Visited April 2013