“Wow Payed for 7 days in cash and wish I stayed somewhere else!!!” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The Tides Inn

The Tides Inn
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sarasota
The Tides Inn
Save Saved
You added The Tides Inn to your Saves list
1800 Stickney Point, Sarasota, FL 34231   |
Ranked #44 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
Sarasota, Florida, United States
“Wow Payed for 7 days in cash and wish I stayed somewhere else!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

I'm still in shock as to what happened at the "Tides Motel" no wonder it's been for sale for 5 years. We had stayed for 5 nights when on the 6th day had a friend home from the Navy stop by for about and hour. I went for a walk to the bridge while my Fiance went to the store for some snacks & drinks. When I returned from my short walk I was confronted in the parking lot by the lady that lives/works at the motel. She started telling me that there was suspicious activity because my friend from the Navy happened to be black. What happened next is something I've never experienced before. I was a bit upset by the chat me & the Manager had so I took another quick walk & returned to the Manager in my room snooping with her daughter that lives there too as her look-out. Well turns out I'm missing about $3000.00 in jewelry, $500 in cash, & a $600 fishing pole/reel that my mother that has passed away gave to me!!! I'm still in shock, we could look past the bug's, dirt, & lack of amenities but once I caught the manager in the room snooping we were told we had to leave and she called the police as well as I did to report the missing items from the room which we still haven't gotten back. We still had 2 more days that we had already paid for in cash! My Fiance is still in tears because the engagement ring we just got is gone and not looking like it's coming back. My advice is to stay AWAY or don't bring anything of value with you!!! Don't make the same mistake we did, the items we are missing will never be able to be replaced. We stayed in room #14 right next to the road while the motel was virtually empty except for the Manager and her family.

Room Tip: Room's somewhere else is the choice you should make. Across the street from this motel is a hote...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

I thank Kelly and Angie for doing as much as they did in order for our stay to be acceptable. The car traffic on Stickney Point road was very loud, maybe because of the asphalt, so please ask for the rooms further back from the street. We were asked to check the room out prior to our check in which was excellent. While this property is old and needs serious upgrades, the air conditioner worked. The bathroom was tiny and the plumbing was a challenge. There was a small refrigerator and microwave but no coffee maker or toaster. The interior decor was OK but the furniture needs to be newer.

Room Tip: call for reservations in advance and ask for a room back away from the road.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Strongsville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stayed in the Tides Inn Motel for a whole week and absolutely loved it. The rooms were clean when we arrived and management would clean it everyday we were there. I would really love to come here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2012 via mobile

My friends and I stayed at the Tides Inn in the middle of April. After looking at the previous reviews of the motel, just a few days before we were about to stay at the Tides, we were apprehensive. However, upon arriving at the Tides we found it be absolutely fine. It's your typical motel, somewhat outdated though. NO BUGS. We took the entire bed apart and looked for signs of bed bugs; none. We had two rooms for a week, during the entire time we had no problems whatso ever. It's a short walk from the beach. The management (along with seemingly every other guest during the week we stayed) was awesome- super nice, down to earth people. The pool was amazing too. Before we would go out at night, we would all relax at the pool for a couple hours. I would absolutely recommend Tides Inn Motel.

• Stayed April 2012
lutz,fl
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

I do not usually write reviews but this one i must.. Stayed there for a weekend swim meet. Yes the motel is old! although our room was not that bad we had room 12, considering the price also it was close to the pool where we swam. Exactly 1 week after we got home my daughter broke out in a terrible hives. Then my son broke out a week later i broke out.. They did not come in the usual 3 bites in a row for bedbugs (per the web). So they might have even been fleas. Either way they need to do a real overhaul on the place if they want to get any good reviews. Yes the front staff was pleasant but not worth the itching and doctor visits to trying and figure out what we 3 got bite by. They also need to purchase some new pillows flat as a board and just as hard. Went and bought my own. I think they can spend the $6 on a pillow from target or walmart to help their guest get a better night sleep.

Room Tip: look elsewhere
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2012

I would avoid this motel at all cost! My girlfriend her family and myself stayed here. It was a big mistake. The rooms are hit or miss for appliances, floors were filthy, bathrooms had leaking noisy facets, and the worst part about it we were attacked by bed bugs!!! I woke up one morning there and saw spots on the pillows, I could not figure it out until the next day i found a little bug crawling across the sheets after my girlfriend got out of bed, I quickly looked up the critter on the net; it was as I thought One Of those nasty things! After returning home a week later we all have suffered the terrible bites from that nasty little parasite! In the end you get what you pay for It may be cheap but I guarantee you will get bitten in the end !!! DO NOT STAY HERE

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is a old 50's style ranch motel. Privately owned by a family who works there (they are really nice). It is a cheap place to lay your head 1/3 the cost of any other lodging near the beach. We had room 2. I checked the mattress for bedbugs with no blood spots found on the ticking. No bugs were spotted during my stay. There is no ice machine, It does have a small fridge and microwave.No phone is in the room. It is 4 blocks then over the bridge then 2 more blocks to the beach (Crescent beach near Siesta Key...less crowded! a 15 minute walk away. Many would not stay here as it is old and worn out, you may even say it isn't work even the cheap price but again it's near the beach and a has a bed.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to The Tides Inn? Share your experiences!