“Great experience!” 4 of 5 stars

2.5 of 5 Motel   |   1008 Ben Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Sarasota
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

I visited Coquina with my family and my dogs. We all enjoyed our stay! It was so relaxing and such a peaceful environment. It was exactly what we all needed. I have a very big dog and I never find a hotel that allows him to stay. Coquina was so welcoming and it felt like home. Everything was clean. The staff was so kind! They even provided the deadbolt for my room because my dog is trained to open doors and I was afraid he would take his own walls around the property! I honestly recommend this hotel to anyone who just wants to get away and not be bothered by lots of rules and regulations. It's a very laid back environment where no one bothers you. If you enjoy traveling with your dogs, this is the place to stay. The only reason I do not give a 5- star rating is because the beds were not the best to sleep on (I have back issues) and they made a lot of noise. They can benefit from remodeling a bit but honestly the way it is now just adds to the charm and the laid-back environment. We plan on returning next year. The full kitchen is great!!! We cooked each day and it was so much fun. The Bar B Q on the beach was a hit with our family!! Most things you need are provided for you, but we brought most of our own stuff. Consider staying here if you really want to get away and disconnect! It's right on the beach. Sunsets are great! My favorite part was when we witnessed the sea turtles hatch at night!!! Thank you Coquina for everything! You guys were amazing to our family!!!

Stayed August 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This small motel, located on the Gulf of Mexico, is the best place for a vacation if you have kids or pets, or even if you do not.

Beautiful pool, private beach, walking distance to St. Armand's Circle, a pleasant stroll to the nature sanctuary, professional and courteous staff, even the housekeeping staff is superb.

Coquina is always updating the guest rooms. Most rooms have flat screen t.v.s, there is FREE wifi, ample parking for registered guests, the rooms are appointed for the self reliant guest ( no dishwashers ).

Room Tip: All the rooms are close to the beach and are good value.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
CoquinaGM, Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Sandy A.,
Thank you for your recent review of our property. We’re so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and found our property to be the perfect spot for your vacation summer after summer. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us and others on this site. We hope you’ll be back again soon! Keep in touch!
Statesville, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

It was a wonderful beach so much better than ormond beach . The people that worked there was so nice and anything I ask for I got (towels etc) my dogs loved it too. I wished I had gotten a beach shore room but it was ok. The bed was very nice best bed I ever slept in other than the one at home. I did not want to leave. The tv was not very big to see from the bed or heard over the air but that was ok . I could take my dogs on the beach right in front of the motel so another added plus for me. I will return I hope next year.!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: 117 I believe is closer to the beach
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Dorothy G.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review about your recent visit at our property. We’re always pleased to hear when a guest has found our beach and accommodations so enjoyable! When you return, we’ll have to make sure we get you into a room on the beach and with a flat screen TV! We’ll always do our best to meet your requests if we can. Just ask!
Coral Springs, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

This was our third visit to this place, unfortunately not the best visit. This place maintenance has gone really bad.To start the frig was dirty as i was not cleaned for a while. The kitchen sink smell rotten food, The door of the cabinet below the kitchen sink was loose., The Bathtub was clogged with hair and the water would not go down and there were roaches.
The ceiling fan was making very loud noises and we reported it. they came to see next day. We had to stay in the room for 45 minutes while they fixed it.
The fire alarm of our room went off once and we called the front office, they requested for us to press the reset bottom and no one showed up. the second day of our visit the alarm went off again and we had to stay in the room for one hour while they fix it.
The pool says to have a surveillance camera, however a guest was swimming with his dog for more than one hour and no one showed up to tell him that, as the pool rules sign states "Dogs were not allowed to swim in the pool". We didn't go in the pool for the rest of our stay.
I cold not think of any best way to waste my money on this stay. I do not recommend you try to see if this got better when teh prices are the same to other hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Do not go to room 212.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Julio M.,
Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent visit to our hotel. I am very sorry to hear about the various issues you experienced during your most recent stay. It is especially disappointing when you’ve stayed with us before and have previously had such a pleasant experience. I apologize that this recent visit fell short.
For most beach properties, the summer is one of our busiest seasons with little to no time between a guest checking out and the next guest checking in. I apologize for the issues regarding your tub drain, kitchen cabinets and the like that were not resolved before your arrival. Once we’re alerted to a maintenance issue, we will make every effort to address and resolve those issues as timely as possible and with the least amount of inconvenience to our guests. Again, I would like to extend our apologies for the inconveniences.
Additionally, as you mentioned, Dogs are Not Allowed in our pool. At check-in with a pet, our guests must sign a pet policy which clearly outlines this rule. As you mentioned, this is also posted on our pool rules at the pool. I apologize that our staff didn’t observe this incident and address it right away. We will always strictly enforce this rule and make sure to take the proper precautions our pool company advises if a pet has been in the pool to make sure it is clean and safe for all our guests to enjoy. Don’t hesitate to let our staff know whenever you observe any concerning activities on our property so we can address them right away and ensure the most pleasant stay possible for everyone.
We hope that you’ll consider a future visit to our property. I would like to encourage you to reach out to us directly so we may facilitate a pleasant return.
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

I have been staying at Coquina on the Beach for over 30 years and will continue to stay here. This is not an elaborate resort but we love it. It is located directly on the beach. All rooms have full kitchens. It is clean, in an excellent location, friendly staff, pet friendly, and reasonable rates. We have stayed in the patio buildings, poolside, and beachfront.
We have stayed in some of the elite resorts on Lido Key and paid much more than what we pay at the Coquina. We keep coming back to Coquina on the Beach.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Travelmo M.,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave this review and especially for your patronage to our hotel over the last 30+ years! We wouldn’t be here without all of our wonderful return guests year after year. Thank you again! We hope that you’ll continue to stay with us for many more!
Sparta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have been here many times and love it. The entire family comes down for the week. We always stay in beach view rooms, which are clean and well maintained. The staff is very friendly and deals with problems promptly. Steps from the beach. Pet friendly. On weekends tend to get a bit lively and noisy. Love this place!

Room Tip: Beach view and poolside rooms have kitchenettes. Downstairs rooms may be noisier depending on upsta...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Sherry H. & Family,
It is our pleasure summer after summer for you and your family to return to stay with us! We always look forward to your arrival!
We’re so glad you all have been enjoying your vacations on Lido Beach with us year after year! We’re also glad you’ve enjoyed the updates in our Beachview Bldg, Suites.
See you all next summer!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2014

Wonderful feeling like being back at my Island. Many palm trees everywhere, and shade! Some rooms are kept better than others. Pool or ocean view are better than garden view. Good for family vacations, but make sure you get groceries before checking in. No restaurants or convenience stores within walking distance.

Stayed June 2014

Been to Coquina On The Beach? Share your experiences!