“Nice rebound” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Coquina On The Beach

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sarasota
Coquina On The Beach
1008 Ben Franklin Drive, Sarasota, FL 34236   |
Ranked #27 of 47 hotels in Sarasota
Milan, Italy
“Nice rebound”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013

We were going to the nearby gulf beach resort, but it was all booked. So we gave it a shot. From the outside it didn't look that great but the room was comfortable. It's halfway between a motel and a beach hotel. The quality is average, but the price is good. I loved the fact that our room was literally on the beach, so we could just stay there a li'l bit after returning from the evening. The location is quite good, you have some places to hang out nearby,even though it's better if you got a car because it's 2 km far from city center, ish. The only downside was that the wifi was not that great, but that may have been because our room was one of the farther.
4 stars because the price is quite good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

127 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Tampa, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I had stopped at several other hotels but the price was too high. I found this hotel and walked in to Garvin the front desk person. He was wonderful and had a great attitude. I was very happy with the room. The whole area was very clean and it was wonderful to get out of the pool right onto the beach. Great place to stay and I will be coming back....Thank you again!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Marietta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

The owners should be thankful for the staff they have on hand. I had one problem after another on arrival (water in one room, bugs in another, locked myself out of the room and given the wrong keys - twice, and water that didn't drain), but the staff always tried to make it right. Coquina is in a fabulous location, the beach is great, the rooms spacious enough, indoor amenities are there, but the hotel is in need of some serious updating. As you know, when it rains in Florida, it rains! Unfortunately, the hotel can't handle lots of rain at one time so the outdoor downstairs hallways retain at least one inch of rain all night and the parking lot was ankle deep. Move up to the second floor to be above it all and to have a better view. Having said all that, I would probably stay at Coquina again but would stay on the second floor. I really enjoyed Sarasota as a first time visitor.

Room Tip: Stay on the second floor. Kitchens are well appointed, so bring your own food.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Debra T.

Thank you for your review of our property, Coquina on the Beach. On behalf of our entire staff, we appreciate your recent stay with us.

I do apologize for the issues you experienced during your stay with us. I’m so glad we were able to resolve them for the most part during your stay so that you could enjoy your visit. It is always great to hear you found our staff helpful and pleasant. Exceptional customer service is a priority for us.

The persistent rain we’ve been having as of late and subsequent water that accumulates in our parking lot and Poolside Bldg corridor is an on-going issue that I’d like to assure you we are addressing. It’s those same rains that will occasionally bring in those unwanted pests that are native to our area. Along with our regular pest control service, we’re committed to doing our best to keep them out.

Thank you again for your review. We look forward to your future visits to our area, too!
Seminole, Florida
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I hesitated to write this review. I was so very thankful that the staff let us leave without charging us a fee that I thought I would save the hotel my rant on trip advisor, but I love this website and the honesty of the reviews - both good and bad, so hear it goes...

We booked this hotel knowing it was not going to be up to typical resort standards, but we had heard good things so we went for it. I mean, we were not expecting fluffy robes, flat screens, etc, but based on the reviews here we thought it would be a nice choice for a quick weekend getaway. I chose to spend a little more on a "pool side suite" hoping it would be a nice upgrade due to it's location on the property. I did not see any other room in this facility, but I was appalled at what we walked into for $170 a night. The bathroom was a joke, painted brick walls, OLD RICKETY faucets, I don't even recall a bath mat. The beds were what you'd expect in a Motel 8. There were plastic, diner style cups in the cabinet (eww, honestly they looked gross), however the stove and fridge would have been sufficient. On to the bed...my husband, who NEVER complains about anything, even when his meal is wrong at a restaurant, looked at me and cringed when he sat down. I don't know how old the mattress was, but if I heard the answer I probably would have cried. We tried to laugh it off and walked out our back door to check out the beach and hoped the view would redeem the poor interior. After passing a couple of rusty beach chairs in front of our...awkward back porch (no privacy whatsoever)...we made our way onto the sand. We grabbed a couple of rusty lounge chairs that were filthy, laid our cheap and thinning towels down and just stared at the water. After a few minutes we both began to get angry...$170 for this...no thanks.

If you want an overpriced motel that has NO PROBLEM calling itself a "resort" despite all it's lacking amenities, than this is the place for you. The only thing this motel (I refuse to call it anything else) had going for it was the ease of access to the beach. Literally, the ONLY updated item in probably the last 10 years I spotted on the property was the room signs on each door. That's it.

THANK YOU to the sweet staff member that took pity on us and our disappointment. Truly, the pictures on the website are far from what we encountered. I'm really not sure how this has such high ratings on here. We left and chose to stay at a nice hotel off the beach because the view was literally not worth knowing we would have to walk back to our room...back to the sandy floors that obviously had not been properly mopped then shower in the sad excuse of a "resort" bathroom and then sleep on the cardboard bed with the scratchy, ancient bedspread and squeaky mattress.

PROS: Staff - Beach Access - Location (close to Armand's Circle) - Pet Friendly if you're into that, we saw a couple of dogs...oh, can't forget the updated room signs.

CONS: Everything else.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
I would like to thank you for your review, however I find it to be unfair and slanderous. I am sorry to hear that you did not like our "resort", we certainly strive to please all of our guests and provide a clean, quaint, affordable and relaxing beachfront experience. You stated at the beginning of your review that "you love the honesty of the reviews" on this site, but then proceed with a review riddled with untruths and nonsense. Your room was a poolside studio not a poolside suite, your rate was not $170 it was $149, and you also stated that "the only updated item in probably the last 10 years were the signs on the doors". The beds you complained about are sealy mattresses that were replaced for the entire property in 2012, we are constantly purchasing new lounge chairs to combat rust from the salt in the air due to the fact that we are directly on the beach. I also disagree with you calling us "overpriced", we are the best value directly on the beach!
Good day
slidell, la
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

While on a recent semi-business trip, we were looking for a room on the beach. We used our room coupon book and picked Coquina on the Beach. Of course, the advertised room was not available so we "upgraded", for double the price. What can I say, it was pouring rain and we were ready to call it a day. The room was nicely decorated and poolside. The bed was comfortable enough. A coffee maker was in the room, but no set ups. The shower was horrible. Luke warm water and wouldn't drain. The parking lot flooded and we were unable to get to our car until the rain let up and the lot drained. A broom was provided which came in handy to squish the cockroaches. The beach area is ok, nothing special. The pool area was attractive. This would not be the place I would pick for an extended stay, but for one night was adequate, although expensive.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Gabbygigi,

We’re delighted to hear that you found your accommodations suitable for your quick trip to our area. I’m sorry we were unable to accommodate your preferred walk-in coupon rate when you arrived. Our Patio Bldg, Studios are quick to fill-up because their rate is so budget friendly in the summer, but we’re glad that you choose a similar Studio by the pool and beach.

Afternoon rains are hard to escape in the summer months in our area, but we do understand the downpour made it difficult to get to and from your room while the drainage systems on the island and our property tried to keep up. We apologize.

In addition, it’s those afternoon rains that tend to cause the undesirable, unwanted pests that are native to FL, that you mentioned to seek out dry spaces. We employ a local, green-friendly pest control service to inspect and treat our rooms each month and can offer additional, immediate measures to eliminate those unwanted guests in rooms if we’re alerted.

Although we provide coffee makers and filters in the room, we do not provide coffee to brew. Our lobby serves fresh brewed Starbucks coffee and an assortment of teas, daily.

We hope that our beachfront location, along with close proximity to St. Armand’s Circle and Downtown Sarasota might encourage you to stay with us again whether it’s business or pleasure that brings you to our area in the future. Thanks for giving our property a try!
Bonita Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

My husband and I stayed at Coquina on the Beach for a quick getaway in July. Although it is dated, it's clean and the staff very friendly and accommodating. The rooms are large and the kitchenette has everything you would need.Beach view is nice and is close to St. Armand's Circle. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cindy B.
Thank you for your review with us at Coquina on the Beach. We’re so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and will return again soon. When you do, we hope you’ll enjoy the new hardwood flooring in kitchens of our Patio Bldg Studios and other updates throughout our property. Keep in touch and we’ll keep you posted about our progress. As always, you can expect the same comfortable and clean accommodations every time. We’re looking forward to your return!
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

We just got back from staying at Coquina on the Beach. The staff was extremely friendly and very easy to make reservations, check out, etc. We picked it because it was pet-friendly and right on the beach. If you want to take your pet with you, this is an affordable and clean place to stay. We needed a roll-a-way bed and the room was spacious enough for all 5 of us. The full kitchen was nice so that we could pack our food and cook as needed. We would highly recommend staying here!

Room Tip: We were on a budget and didn't want to spend the extra money for beach view or pool side. We st...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Valerie15236

Thank you for your recent stay with us over the summer. We’re so thrilled to hear that our staff took such great care to get you into an affordable and comfortable accommodation for you and your family. We're glad you found the rooms spacious and the kitchens in each, convenient. We hope you all will be able to return again soon for another beach getaway!

Been to Coquina On The Beach? Share your experiences!